cmd/6g and friends become cmd/gc

Dave Cheney

Apr 16, 2015, 2:05:45 AM4/16/15
to golang-dev
Hello,

A month or two there was some discussion that by 1.5 cmd/6g and
friends would be merged into a single binary, possibly cmd/gc, in much
the same way cmd/asm was combined.

Is this still on the plan for 1.5 ? If this is a question of time, I
can take a pass at it.

Thanks

Dave

Rob Pike

Apr 16, 2015, 2:08:02 AM4/16/15
to Dave Cheney, golang-dev
Let's not for 1.5. There's enough churn at the moment and there are more important issues to work on. I'm not even convinced yet that it's a good idea.

-rob

Dave

Dave Cheney

Apr 16, 2015, 2:08:26 AM4/16/15
to Rob Pike, golang-dev
Good to know.

Thanks

Dave

andrewc...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 1:35:48 AM4/17/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com, r...@golang.org
Is the motivation just to reduce the distribution size?

Andrew Ekstedt

Apr 17, 2015, 1:40:37 AM4/17/15
to golang-dev
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:35 PM, <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the motivation just to reduce the distribution size?

I think it was more about making cross-compilation easier.

Andrew Ekstedt

Dave Cheney

Apr 17, 2015, 1:45:41 AM4/17/15
to Andrew Ekstedt, golang-dev
Indeed, and more in keeping with the trend that cmd/asm set.