go1.9 and pprof vendoring from upstream

Alberto Donizetti

Jun 7, 2017, 4:29:07 AM6/7/17
to golang-dev
Hi golang-dev,

as @rsc wrote a couple months ago about pprof

> Now that we are in sync, the plan is to import upstream pprof around
> the time of the release freeze in each cycle.

What's the plan for the go1.9 vendoring?

I ask because a panic I reported was fixed upstream in march (see
github.com/google/pprof/issues/103) but as far as I know pprof was not
vendored when the go1.9 freeze started, and the reproducer I posted in
that issue still crashes the pprof version currently included in tip.

Thanks,
Alberto

Josh Bleecher Snyder

Jun 7, 2017, 10:19:07 AM6/7/17
to Alberto Donizetti, golang-dev
>> Now that we are in sync, the plan is to import upstream pprof around
>> the time of the release freeze in each cycle.
>
> What's the plan for the go1.9 vendoring?

Also golang.org/x/*, the race runtime, maybe others.

-josh

Russ Cox

Jun 14, 2017, 12:35:01 PM6/14/17
to Josh Bleecher Snyder, Alberto Donizetti, golang-dev
We should vendor those soon, before the beta is cut. Any takers?

Alberto Donizetti

Jun 20, 2017, 3:18:52 AM6/20/17
to golang-dev, josh...@gmail.com, alb.do...@gmail.com
How is pprof usually vendored? I see a vendor.json file, which
makes me think 'govendor', but AFAIK it requires the package to
be in GOPATH and indeed it complained on any govendor command
I tried in the folder.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Josh Bleecher Snyder <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now that we are in sync, the plan is to import upstream pprof around
>> the time of the release freeze in each cycle.
>
> What's the plan for the go1.9 vendoring?

Also golang.org/x/*, the race runtime, maybe others.

-josh

Russ Cox

Jun 20, 2017, 10:02:53 AM6/20/17
to Alberto Donizetti, golang-dev, Josh Bleecher Snyder

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 3:18 AM, Alberto Donizetti <alb.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
How is pprof usually vendored? I see a vendor.json file, which
makes me think 'govendor', but AFAIK it requires the package to
be in GOPATH and indeed it complained on any govendor command
I tried in the folder.

The procedure is copy the files and update vendor.json by hand.

Russ