Contributing modified BSD code

fil...@cloudflare.com

Apr 16, 2015, 11:26:14 AM4/16/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Vlad Krasnov
Hello,

A quick licensing question. Consider the following scenario:

- a 3rd party releases some code under the BSD license
- we take it and modify it, integrating it in the standard library
- we submit the change to Go (leaving all required (C) notes)

Is that allowed? My reading of points 5 and 7 of the CLA seem to suggest so, but I wanted to check.

Thanks,

Filippo Valsorda
CloudFlare

Ian Lance Taylor

Apr 16, 2015, 11:38:46 AM4/16/15
to fil...@cloudflare.com, golan...@googlegroups.com, Vlad Krasnov
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:07 AM, <fil...@cloudflare.com> wrote:

> A quick licensing question. Consider the following scenario:
>
> - a 3rd party releases some code under the BSD license
> - we take it and modify it, integrating it in the standard library
> - we submit the change to Go (leaving all required (C) notes)
>
> Is that allowed? My reading of points 5 and 7 of the CLA seem to suggest so,
> but I wanted to check.

Always tough to answer these questions in the abstract, but I agree
that this sounds OK in principle.

Ian

Russ Cox

Apr 16, 2015, 2:20:02 PM4/16/15
to Ian Lance Taylor, fil...@cloudflare.com, golan...@googlegroups.com, Vlad Krasnov
It sounds okay in principle but in general we try to avoid that, just to reduce the number of distinct such notices in the tree. Please ask about specifics before sending a CL.

Russ