Google Summer of Code and Go

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 5, 2013, 6:05:46 PM3/5/13
to golang-dev
Hey gophers,

Recently, I've had a few enquiries about Google Summer of Code 2013 and the Go project.

If you're not familiar with GSoc: https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/

In previous years we have abstained from participating because none of the Go team at Google have had the spare the time to mentor a student.

However, it's been suggested that perhaps some members of Go community might like to mentor a GSoC student. These people should be familiar with the Go core's codebase and conventions. For example, anyone with the commit bit is definitely a good mentor candidate.

If you are interested in mentoring, please reply here. Please note that it is a considerable time commitment.

Once we have mentors, we need to think about projects. A good GSoC project is something that may be started and finished within the three month period. Potential work areas include libraries (either in the core or for sub-repos), tools (vet?), documentation, and - for the particularly clever students - runtime or compiler work.

If you have any project suggestions, please reply here.

Any questions you might have about GSoC may be answered by their FAQs: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page

Andrew

Devon H. O'Dell

Mar 5, 2013, 6:08:13 PM3/5/13
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-dev
Though I lack a commit bit, I'd be happy to mentor anything FreeBSD,
cgo, or runtime-related. I've also served as an administrator for 3
years of GSoC for Plan 9, and I'm happy to help with any
organizational stuff if that is needed as well.

--dho

2013/3/5 Andrew Gerrand <a...@google.com>:
> --
>
> ---

Luit

Mar 13, 2013, 7:44:45 AM3/13/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Gerrand
I'd love to apply as a GSoC student. I don't have much experience with the specific parts you enumerated though. For me, GSoC on the Go project would enable me to get to know the Go community a bit better, as I'm quite motivated to help out core Go. The problems I have with doing this on my own, is because it's the first open-source project I'm seriously considering investing much of my time in, including contributing wherever I can. The mentor I'm looking for would simply know the community and the project quite well, and push me around in it, helping me find my place in it.

I was saddened to see there were no Go related projects in GSoC 2012, and I'm afraid this year would not change in that regard. That's why I think (at least for me) it would be awesome to have core Go as the mentoring organisation. In a few years, bigger open-source projects might emerge that use Go, but for now this seems like my only option. I really hope it'll happen this year, because I won't be a student for another GSoC.

I can, however, fully understand if the organisation of this mentoring will be too much for a project this young. I'm still hopeful that there's a willing mentor in this community.

-Luit

minux

Mar 13, 2013, 11:47:07 AM3/13/13
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Andrew Gerrand <a...@google.com> wrote:
> However, it's been suggested that perhaps some members of Go community might
> like to mentor a GSoC student. These people should be familiar with the Go
> core's codebase and conventions. For example, anyone with the commit bit is
> definitely a good mentor candidate.
>
> If you are interested in mentoring, please reply here. Please note that it
> is a considerable time commitment.
I will have plenty of spare time starting from June so I can help
mentoring students
for projects about the ARM toolchain, cgo and gc/gccgo runtime.

Jimmy Zelinskie

Mar 21, 2013, 9:18:09 AM3/21/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Gerrand
I'm a student that would be willing to participate. However, I am taking courses during the summer and I'm curious as to just how much work is expected from students. I'd be more than willing to simply work with a mentor to help out without getting paid. I've already made a contribution to the documentation in the past and feel I could help out more with some guidance. I also feel like I owe you guys one, since I squeezed a free code review out of you guys on code that you did not commit during the height of pressure prior to releasing Go 1.

Andrew Gerrand

Mar 25, 2013, 6:46:41 PM3/25/13
to golang-dev, Michael Jones
It's been suggested that we broaden the scope of GSoC as far as Go is concerned. Rather than just focusing on the core, we could mentor students to write external packages and tools that are missing from the Go ecosystem.

To that end, I've created a spreadsheet with some project ideas. There are many more (the list is practically infinite). I've shared this with the world, so please add anything you think might apply:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2ZAZN5yFufdEJ3WG5Zcy1hQzRFVkktU19hREtlRVE&usp=sharing

Once I've got a bunch of ideas here, I'll open it up to golang-nuts to see if any other Go Open Source projects want to get involved.

Andrew

Andrew Gerrand

Apr 8, 2013, 7:08:25 PM4/8/13
to golang-dev, Michael Jones
Looping back on this: the deadline has been and gone, and there really wasn't enough interest. Next time maybe.

Jimmy Zelinskie

Apr 10, 2013, 1:02:59 AM4/10/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Michael Jones
That's a shame. I guess I'll have to find something else for GSoC.

Sitaram Shelke

Feb 10, 2016, 8:58:13 AM2/10/16
to golang-dev, m...@google.com
Hello Andrew,
I am Sitaram, I am a student willing to participate in GSoC 16 and I am trying to find a project in golang. I would like to know if you have any thoughts about the same. This year's timeline is at https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline .
Thank you.

Andrew Gerrand

Feb 10, 2016, 9:38:56 PM2/10/16
to Sitaram Shelke, golang-dev, Michael Jones
If anyone is keen on mentoring someone to work on something Go-related (the mentor must basically 'own' that thing) then they should submit an application to the GSoC people.

I don't have the time, unfortunately.

Andrew