Gobblin failed to launch one or more job out of multiple jobs.

Kunal Gupta

Nov 19, 2015, 8:33:34 AM11/19/15
to gobblin-users
I tried to run standalone gobblin with 3 job configuration file. These 3 jobs tries to read data from kafka server and put into one consumer HDFS in different directory but sometime all 3 jobs did not run, in some cases one job get failed or sometime two etc. I have attached 3 job configuration file too.

I got the following error when one job get failed. I have also attached the gobblin log file.

2015-11-19 18:56:26 IST ERROR [JobScheduler-2] gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler$NonScheduledJobRunner  533 - Failed to run job GobblinKafkaQuickStart
gobblin.runtime.JobException: Failed to run job GobblinKafkaQuickStart
at gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler.runJob(JobScheduler.java:285)
at gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler$NonScheduledJobRunner.run(JobScheduler.java:531)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: gobblin.runtime.JobException: Failed to launch and run job GobblinKafkaQuickStart
at gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler.runJob(JobScheduler.java:332)
at gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler.runJob(JobScheduler.java:283)
... 4 more
Caused by: java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(ArrayList.java:901)
at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.next(ArrayList.java:851)
at gobblin.metrics.GobblinMetrics.startMetricReporting(GobblinMetrics.java:338)
at gobblin.runtime.AbstractJobLauncher.launchJob(AbstractJobLauncher.java:187)
at gobblin.scheduler.JobScheduler.runJob(JobScheduler.java:326)
gobblin-current.log
kafkaextract.pull
kafkajob.pull
kafkajob2.pull

Issac Buenrostro

Nov 19, 2015, 12:36:40 PM11/19/15
to Kunal Gupta, gobblin-users
Hi Kunal,
The problem is that all of your jobs have the same name (i.e. the value of job.name is the same), which prevents the Gobblin runtime from correctly identifying the attributes of different jobs. This is a race condition, as each job gets a timestamp appended to the name, but if some jobs with the same name are launched at the exact same time, you will encounter this kind of exceptions.
Just use a different job.name for each job. Let me know if this works.
Best,
Issac