GALF... upcoming event

Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا‎

Oct 10, 2014, 5:35:19 PM10/10/14
to The Third Thursday Goa Book Club
To: ICG-Programmes
Subject: Invitation to 5th annual Goa Arts & Literary Festival - 2014

Dear Friend,

Greetings from The International Centre Goa!

We are delighted to invite you to the very special 5th Anniversary Edition of the Goa Arts & Literary Festival (GALF), scheduled from 4th through 7th December 2014 in Dona Paula and Panjim.

As you know, our Festival has distinguished itself from inception as a unique labour of love and collaboration between The International Centre Goa and volunteers from the vibrant Goa Writers group. Please see our festival website, www.goaartlitfest.com where videos of most of the previous Festival sessions can be viewed.

Over the past 5 years, the GALF has grown in size, stature and significance while retaining its emphasis on both serious deliberations and convivial atmosphere, as well as building meaningful connections with the finest writers, poets, artists and musicians from around the subcontinent and beyond.

This year’s exciting Anniversary edition promises to be the most exciting in the history of our event. Strong delegations from Nepal, Australia, Singapore and Pakistan will be showcased alongside the best writers, poets, artists and musicians from around the subcontinent and beyond. We expect 4-7th December to be action-packed with full schedules of exclusive book launches, panel discussions, exhibitions and performances, and much more.

As a Festival delegate, your pass will include lunch at the venue, and exclusive access to the delegates’ lounge.  Closer to the date, the Festival Curators will be in contact with you regarding the appropriate showcase for your work in the official programme.  In the meanwhile, do let us know if you are coming up with any book which you would like us to consider to make part of the Festival programme.

Awaiting anxiously for your positive response.

With warm regards,

Nandini Sahai
Director – The International Centre Goa
Founding Director – Goa Arts & Literary Festival

Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا‎

Oct 11, 2014, 3:26:10 PM10/11/14
to The Third Thursday Goa Book Club
Was glad to learn via the online world that GALF 2014 is still open to suggestions.

Before the schedules get too full, just to voice a hope that some of the number of members of the Goa Book Club (and those whose work we have discussed here in recent times) too find space  at the *Goa* Arts and Literature Festival. Among those I can think of  are:

Of Goan origin and one of the prominent Ibsen scholars in Norway.
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivo_de_Figueiredo
Braz Menezes
Just Matata
More Matata

Ben Antao

Margaret Frenz
Community, Memory, and Migration in a Globalizing World: The Goan Experience, c 1890-1980

Prema Rocha
Forthcoming book on the work of Salman Rushdie

Paul Melo e Castro
Goan short stories written in Portuguese.

Sunita Peres da Costa, Au
Prizewinning novelist, etc

Roweena Gonsalves, Au
Currently doing PhD on Goan Writing in English

Frederika Menezes
Unforgotten & Stories In Rhyme

Ulrike Rodrigues
Ebook: Girl Gone Goa (up for release by lit fest)

Prof Ave Cleto Afonso
A 'native' replies to Camoes, and range of other publications.

Christina Fernandes
Passion in Paradise (photobook on Christianity in Goa)

Bina Nayak
Starfish Pickle (novel, forthcoming)

Isabel S R Vas

Ramdas Kelkar
See posts on GBC of his work.

Biula V Pereira
One For The Road: The Social Impact of Alcohol in Goa (forthcoming)

Jeanne Nazareth Hromnik
Editor, South Africa

Antonio Gomes
Mirrored Reflections (poems). Sting of the Peppercorn (novel).

Luis Assis Correia
Memoirs: Winds of Change Across Africa

Brig Ian da Costa
Memoirs: Diary of an Infantryman

Belinda Viegas
Cry of the Kingfisher / The Golden Gate

Fatima Noronha
Stray Mango Branches

Pia Rodrigues
Texts, Tomes & Treasures

Sharon Fernandes
Handbag

Henrietta Palmer &c
Goa: Found and Imagined

Kathleen McCaul
Grave Secrets in Goa

Luis Santa Rita Vaz
Veni, Vidi, Goa... and a range of other titles

Brenda Coutinho
A Matter of Time

Domnic PF Fernandes
Mapusa; Domnic's Goa, etc...

Ana Machado de Dios
Puck y los Mil y Un Sueños de un Solstico de Verano: Una Historia
Magica de Goa (In Spanish) and Puck and the Thousand
and One Midsummer Dreams: A Magical History of Goa

Alan Machado Prabhu
Slaves of the Sultan (forthcoming); Saraswati's Children; Shades Within Shadows

Linda Banana
Hot Times in Goa

Am sure I would have missed out some others (for which I apologise in advance)... please add your suggestions!

FN

--
P +91-832-2409490 M +91-9822122436 W http://goa1556.in
T @fn on Twitter  R Saligao, Goa, India  Stay in touch. I reply email.

augusto pinto

Oct 11, 2014, 11:42:29 PM10/11/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
"I think FN is right about moving quickly and proactively into making "Goa" Arts and Literary Festival really Goan, both in terms of participation and in the direction it should go. Since I'm in already in there I could definitely help in coordinating those panels, if anyone gives me a cue as to their interests

Teachers in particular could do well to join up with GALF. Or otherwise bring GALF to their classrooms. I'm sure that many of those who are participating would love to go and interact with students. See the list of participants here.

Augusto

V M

Oct 12, 2014, 8:46:35 AM10/12/14
to goa-book-club
Dear Augusto + other friends,

Given that many young school and college students find it impossible
to come to Panjim, and insitutions have their own difficulties with
it, GALF 2014 is specifically inviting several outstanding
poets/writers with experience of young audiences to come to Goa ahead
of the festival, to visit schools and colleges around the state on 2nd
and 4th December mornings.

If you and your institution are interested in participating in this
programme - have a fun writer/poet visit your students on 2nd and 4th
mornings - please email me ASAP, or get in touch via this forum.

Warm regards,

VM
#2, Second Floor, Navelkar Trade Centre, Panjim, Goa
Cellphone 9326140754 Office (0832) 242 0785

V M

Oct 12, 2014, 9:04:28 AM10/12/14
to goa-book-club
Thanks, Frederick for this useful list.

If any of these authors are reading this email - or authors of any
other Goa book or relevant writing - and will be in Goa during the
festival dates (December 4-7 see goaartlitfest.com), and are
interested in showcasing their work at GALF 2014, please email me ASAP
or get in touch via this forum.

Come join the very best writers/poets/artists/musicians from around
the subcontinent and beyond at Goa's unique, strictly independent,
non-profit and volunteer-driven Arts + Literature Festival!

VM

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM, Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक

Jose

Oct 12, 2014, 10:25:47 AM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Reading over the various comments ( both positive and negative ), I wonder loudly ( once again);

1: Is GALF a private company, public entity, a privately run charity or something else ?

2: Does GALF have a Board of Directors which take decisions or is VM + a few undeclared 'organisers' take the burden all on themselves?

3: Are there elections to the Board? When was the last one held?

4: Could (say) Dilip Borkar, Augusto Pinto or Cecil Pinto head the Board ( IF they wished to serve)?

5: Are the accounts audited and published annually .....or (have they been) ever?

6: Is there a committee which looks into grievances / complaints of individuals who are Goan and who are exponents of Arts and Literature in Goa and have been so for many years?

The website, possibly, provides guidance for these questions.....

PN: These are my private thoughts on this quiet Sunday here. IF they are irrelevant, please ignore them. IF I am out of order, please feel to tell me Why you feel so?

jc
Not a literary person nor a writer of any merit.

Ben Antao

Oct 12, 2014, 10:25:47 AM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Augusto

Among the list of participants that you`ve sent, I noticed your name but there was no photo, which saddened me to kingdom come and made me wonder.

Is it because your face harbours dark conceits, a few inherited from the Dark continent, then ingrained and nurtured with the Moira banana (the big one that nourishes a lonesome soul`s daily bread) or is it a case of modesty disguised as humility to throw off curious interlopers like me? Never mind.

Then I didn`t see the name of Frederick Noronha or his face among the participants, a face with walrus-moustache that disguises fair thoughts to make one a believer in this axiom: What`s in a face? If it revealed the multi-coloured thoughts circuiting inside the brainwaves, it would appear most hideous indeed!
Not worth reflecting!

And then that jewel from Assagao has posted a list of my books with my picture on the Facebook, ever since which I have had to write thanks a thousand times to messages of numbing congrats! And one can only do this by being false after the nth time! And that picture, a washed out soul that T B Cunha (he once invited me to work for his Free Goa paper in Bombay in 1955) would have upheld as a true reflection of a denationalised Goan!

The above is written because my friend from Nassau (and your would-be nemesis) wanted to read something funny!

Best regards
Ben

Anne Ketteringham

Oct 12, 2014, 11:22:13 AM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great initiative Vivek.  I do hope that many institutions would like to take advantage of this.

Anne K

Jose

Oct 12, 2014, 11:22:13 AM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:00 AM, Ben Antao <ben....@rogers.com> wrote:

" Dear Augusto,........The above is written because my friend from Nassau (and your would-be nemesis) wanted to read something funny!  "

Mogal Ben,

It is always good to hear from you. You are one of the favourite Goan authors in this home.  Just yesterday, Ema and I were discussing your book The Tailor's Daughter and how true some of the details were to reality. This was after we watched a movie on YouTube (see foot of this msg) which I believe M and U will enjoy.

If I may say so, your most recent post had the same effect on me as does this alleged-Konkani that these chaps tell me is my mother-tongue (even though I never heard my mother speak in that tongue ...but did hear mothers of a number of my Marathi neighbours do so).

That effect: Sending me to search for the meaning of words; in this case...the word is Nemesis. (I did not look for the meaning of  "would-be nemesis")

Just for the record, I respect Augusto and agree with a lot of his views esp wrt Caste and Discrimination. In some part, I also agree with his criticism of VM's handling of GALF functions. Besides, Augusto is a Professor.  Those of us who appear to have a few centavos in our pocket would be nothing if not for the dedicated teachers who taught us - unless we went Churchillian.

That does not mean that I would not challenge an opinion with which I disagree. YES, I sometimes disagree with Augusto's views. More often, I agree with his views.

Best as always.

jc
(a neighbour-in-law of Augusto's)

The movie which generated an interesting conversation about your book The Tailor's Daughter
Perfect Mismatch about 90 minutes. Almost entirely in English.

augusto pinto

Oct 12, 2014, 11:34:07 AM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ben,

Please don't read anything peculiar into the fact that my photo and profile is absent, for it's just my prediliction to procrastrinate.

The absence of the Rt. Hon. Frederico Noronha esq. is far more disturing. Are there wheels within wheels in this village and fires within fires, as Mrs Putnam used to say?

Incidentally your prose has taken a decidedly poetic and playful turn of late. It must be the influence of your latest book, which I must pick up - "Love Triangle – A Novel in Terza Rima and 160 Sonnets" - a book which catapults you into the rarified company of those who have written novels in sonnet form, notably Alexander Pushkin and Vikram Seth.

Best
Augusto

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Ben Antão < ben....@rogers.com > wrote:
[...]

Oct 12, 2014, 12:32:27 PM10/12/14
On 12 October 2014 21:03, augusto pinto <pint...@gmail.com> wrote:
The absence of the Rt. Hon. Frederico Noronha esq. is far more disturing. Are there wheels within wheels in this village and fires within fires, as Mrs Putnam used to say?

Dear Augusto,

Had I penned a nasty, stinging critique of GALF and its organisers (as you did on September 29, 2014 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/goa-book-club/bumbling$20augusto/goa-book-club/3RJEVJD6EY4/uayjcOx3chIJ ) then probably an invite would have come through asap.

But this is certainly not my intention here.

I think it is certainly unfair to critique only to get an invite, and then act as if everything is fine and hunky dory. In any case, I have received more than my due share from GALF in the past, and would see it as despicable to continue to hanker after more of the same. Therefore, to you and whoever else would like to trivialise or personalise this issue, please do not attempt to incorporate and absorb any debate on this issue.

My concerns raised are about the decision-making process of GALF. Goa deserves a better deal. If we treat this issue with the openness it deserves, maybe we could have a better GALF than seen in the past. If suggestions are taken in the proper spirit, then it could be more inclusive and reflective of diversity.

Earlier, I'd pointed to the many writers (who have not been hosted on the GALF podium for even a single year); at the same time, we see some of the same names being repeated with surprising regularity.

VM thanked me for "this useful list" and also separately asked for their contact details, which I sent across. But now we are told that  any who "will be in Goa during the festival dates"  and "are interested in showcasing their work at GALF 2014"  should get in touch. "Come join the very best writers/poets/artists/musicians from around the subcontinent and beyond" we're told.

This sounds very condescending to me.... Are we doing authors a favour in "showcasing their work"? Don't they deserve this anyway? Is this a continuing of the attitude where writers from other cultures are, in grand imperial style, privileged over local writers?

Augusto, on Sept 29, you have been blunt in describing how you felt treated by GALF. Can't you extend the same logic to how other writers feel treated by the *Goa* Arts and Literary Festival? (And I'm definitely not referring to myself, so please don't trivialise the wider concerns.) FN

Ben Antao

Oct 12, 2014, 12:43:32 PM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jose

Thanks for your response. I was just joshing and trying to inject some comic relief on this forum.

Sorry for sending you to the dictionary! I thought my first novel Blood & Nemesis (you have a copy) would have given you some idea of ‘nemesis’ but I’m glad that you and Ema were discussing my book The Tailor`s Daughter. It makes me happy beyond words.

I`ll check out the Utube link.

As my friend Miguel Braganza likes to say, Mog asum.

Ben

Oct 12, 2014, 1:19:32 PM10/12/14
to goa-book-club, ICG-Programmes, Nandini Sahai, Damodar Mauzo
Dear Frederick,

1) As you know, GALF invitations have been sent to you repeatedly long
before your emails here.

2) Everyone who has rec'd an invitation to GALF, whether in Singapore,
Australia, Pakistan or Ponda, has read exactly the same wording about
"showcasing their work" without objection. I am sorry it reads like
"imperialism" to you. Will take that reading into account.

As you know, we are a strictly non-profit and volunteer-driven
festival and everyone involved has full-time jobs.

Please continue to raise your helpful and constructive criticism,
which I can promise will be treated with the respect it deserves.
However, writing pressures and deadlines loom steadily for the next
few days and I will not be able to personally respond as promptly as I
have been. Please cc (as above) Damodar 'Bhai' Mauzo and the ICG
personnel so they too can have the benefit of your advice.

Warm regards,

VM

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Frederick FN Noronha * फ्रेड्रिक
नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا <frederic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jose

Oct 12, 2014, 1:47:50 PM10/12/14
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com, ICG-Programmes, Nandini Sahai, Damodar Mauzo
On Oct 12, 2014, at 1:12 PM, V M <vmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
"we are a strictly non-profit and volunteer-driven festival and everyone involved has full-time jobs."

COMMENT: based on the little I know, the term NON-PROFIT has a specific meaning in Law.
Having also read the posts (relating to GALF ) by Augusto Pinto and Frederick Noronha, I thought that I'd suggest the following to your attention.

FOR further reading:

Non-Profit Organisations - Regulatory Compliances in India

Various aspects such as the minimum registration requirements, post registration statutory compliances, management, functioning etc. need to be considered before opting for the appropriate form of NPO.  In this article, we have discussed the major aspects governing the registration and post registration compliances of the above mentioned three forms of NPOs.

CHELTENHAM

best

jc