Go Material: Git-Pull-Request

simon.d...@tado.com

May 22, 2014, 12:12:19 PM5/22/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

because I really like the pipeline approach of Go compared to Jenkins I'm thinking about replacing Jenkins completely. But what I'm missing so far is a way to start a pipeline when a pull request on github is created - does anyone now if it's possible or not? Also has someone experience with using Jenkins or Travis in parallel with go?

Thank you in advance

Simon

Gurpreet Luthra

May 23, 2014, 12:46:37 AM5/23/14
to simon.d...@tado.com, go...@googlegroups.com
We have been using both GO and Travis on our project.

Travis has the advantage that it can "validate" pull requests on Github.. and can perform quick build sanity check for us at no cost. Go also builds the builds... but performs a more formal process of running the full automation suite and deployments via the pipeline model. I haven't seen GO setup done which can validate "pull requests" on Github. Maybe the Go team can confirm if this feature is available.

You can decide which parts will make sense for you where. But do make your Go setup do everything. Don't assume Travis is available as an option while working with Go. Keep them independent.

Regards
Gurpreet

simon.d...@tado.com

May 23, 2014, 3:41:59 AM5/23/14
to go...@googlegroups.com, simon.d...@tado.com
If I get you right you propose that it's better to use them both because they targeting two different things, namely CI and CD. Maybe you right and our CI server should just build pull requests in the feature while go takes care doing the deployments.
Thanks for sharing your experience with go and travis-ci.

Regards,
Simon

Gurpreet Luthra

May 23, 2014, 4:04:28 AM5/23/14
to simon.dittlmann, go...@googlegroups.com
Well.. GO is designed for both CI and CD. You can trigger Go builds which are linked to Github/Git Commits.. But Travis does have some advantages in few areas, like ability to check pull requests on Github.

You don't own the Travis VMs, whereas Go will run on your own infrastructure. Travis provides you free infrastructure (recreated on each build) on which your builds will run, but you will still need a local environments where your build artefacts are created, and maintained, for setting up deployments in stages.

For instance using Go, you can create pipelines which
Build -> Deploy to QA --> Run Functional Tests --> Deploy to Demo environments --> Create publishable artefacts (etc)

Regards
Gurpreet

Simon Dittlmann

May 23, 2014, 4:16:01 AM5/23/14
to Gurpreet Luthra, go...@googlegroups.com
Ok, then using travis / jenkins for pull request is only a workaround until Go supports it? Where can I create a feature request - should I just create an issue on github?
Regards,
Simon
--

Simon Dittlmann
Server & Mobile Apps

Phone.: +49 89 416 15 66 4 - 4
Fax:      +49 89 416 15 66 4 - 9

www.tado.com | tado° GmbH | Lindwurmstr. 76 | 80337 Munich | Germany
Managing Directors: Christian Deilmann | Johannes Schwarz | Leopold v. Bismarck
Registered with the Commercial Register Munich as HRB 194769 B | VAT-No: DE 280012558

Gurpreet Luthra

May 23, 2014, 4:22:24 AM5/23/14
to Simon Dittlmann, go...@googlegroups.com
Check out https://snap-ci.com/ too.

I am not in Go team. Someone from their team should confirm whether Go has the pull-request feature or not.

Regards
Gurpreet

Jyoti Singh

May 23, 2014, 5:08:30 AM5/23/14
to Gurpreet Luthra, Simon Dittlmann, go...@googlegroups.com
Go currently does not support pull-request workflow of github. Raise it as an issue on github and label it as a feature request.
Additionally, if you would like to contribute a patch towards this, we would be happy to discuss.

Cheers,
Jyoti

dha...@thoughtworks.com

Nov 11, 2014, 1:44:55 PM11/11/14
to go...@googlegroups.com
+1 on this feature

srinivas upadhya

Mar 25, 2015, 2:34:11 AM3/25/15
to go...@googlegroups.com
Update on #298 should be interesting. (related issue - #494)