Hack-a-thon

Kurt Yoder

Oct 24, 2014, 3:22:00 PM10/24/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi devs,

My company would like to sponsor a hackathon for GoCD. We are located in northern Virginia. Have there been any GoCD hackathons before (I couldn't find any on Google, though admittedly Google tries very hard to pretend GoCD is some other search term)? Also important: would hackathon code be welcomed?

Do you have thoughts or suggestions for making this as useful as possible to your development efforts?

Thanks,

-Kurt

Ken Mugrage

Oct 24, 2014, 3:43:36 PM10/24/14
to Kurt Yoder, go-c...@googlegroups.com

Very cool!

We haven't done one at ThoughtWorks but would be very interested in helping any way we can.

Is there a particular part of Go you're interested in exploring?

I'm not personally a programmer so I'll let others talk about best way to get started.

Ken

srinivas upadhya

Oct 27, 2014, 7:07:38 AM10/27/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:52:00 AM UTC+5:30, Kurt Yoder wrote:
Hi devs,

My company would like to sponsor a hackathon for GoCD. We are located in northern Virginia.
Awesome! Is this going to be open to all or employees of your company only? Can you give us rough estimate on when you are planning to do this so we could do anything we can to spread the word (If its open for all).

Have there been any GoCD hackathons before (I couldn't find any on Google, though admittedly Google tries very hard to pretend GoCD is some other search term)?
While we have not done a hackathon as such, we have done a developer geek-night where we had a developer taking group of developers through Go codebase (high-level overview). Devs seemed to like it & learnt quiet a bit from the session. There have been contributions from them already. Attached are ppt & handout from that session. Hope that helps!

Also important: would hackathon code be welcomed?
Ofcorse! They just need to make sure a few things are in place, most of which is listed here.

Do you have thoughts or suggestions for making this as useful as possible to your development efforts?
Below are my personal opinions:
If you are planning a one day hackathon i would suggest doing a plugin hackathon since that would require the least amount of ground work & exploring. If you are doing a Go core codebase hackathon, I would strongly suggest having a Go codebase overview session. This could be a online session by one of Go contributors (just throwing out ideas).

Thanks,

-Kurt

srinivas upadhya

Oct 27, 2014, 7:09:14 AM10/27/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
And i missed the attachments! Here they are.
Go - Geeknight.pptx
Go - Geeknight handout.doc

Kurt Y

Oct 27, 2014, 11:49:35 AM10/27/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com, kyo...@data-tactics.com
I have build up a list of ideas for things that would help me in my role on my project as the "GoCD overlord". For instance, adding "siblings" to the value stream map, along with predicted downstream pipeline builds. That said, my list of ideas is only a starting point.

-Kurt

Kurt Y

Oct 27, 2014, 12:24:23 PM10/27/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, October 27, 2014 7:07:38 AM UTC-4, srinivas upadhya wrote:

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:52:00 AM UTC+5:30, Kurt Yoder wrote:
Hi devs,

My company would like to sponsor a hackathon for GoCD. We are located in northern Virginia.
Awesome! Is this going to be open to all or employees of your company only? Can you give us rough estimate on when you are planning to do this so we could do anything we can to spread the word (If its open for all).

This will be open to all. I would like to organize it within the next few months, so I hope by November or December. Is that doable, or overly optimistic?

Have there been any GoCD hackathons before (I couldn't find any on Google, though admittedly Google tries very hard to pretend GoCD is some other search term)?
While we have not done a hackathon as such, we have done a developer geek-night where we had a developer taking group of developers through Go codebase (high-level overview). Devs seemed to like it & learnt quiet a bit from the session. There have been contributions from them already. Attached are ppt & handout from that session. Hope that helps!

Thanks. I checked out both documents. I'm hoping we can attract developers who know a little bit about GoCD so they can help get the rest of us up to speed.

Also important: would hackathon code be welcomed?
Ofcorse! They just need to make sure a few things are in place, most of which is listed here.

That link is super helpful. Thank you!

Do you have thoughts or suggestions for making this as useful as possible to your development efforts?
Below are my personal opinions:
If you are planning a one day hackathon i would suggest doing a plugin hackathon since that would require the least amount of ground work & exploring. If you are doing a Go core codebase hackathon, I would strongly suggest having a Go codebase overview session. This could be a online session by one of Go contributors (just throwing out ideas).

I have a few plugin ideas which would be fun to try. I'll definitely consider making it into a plugin hackathon.

-Kurt

Andrew Patzer

Nov 7, 2014, 11:39:29 AM11/7/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Any updates on this? Our group would be interested in participating.

Kurt Y

Nov 7, 2014, 1:43:23 PM11/7/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Yes! I am doing some behind-the-scenes work to set a date/time and location. I will post again once I have this.

Kurt Y

Nov 14, 2014, 2:54:44 PM11/14/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to let you all know that the GoCD Hackathon is ON! We will focus on writing new GoCD plugins. It will be December 13th, 2014 from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM

The location:

L3 Data Tactics
7901 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 700
McLean VA 22102

I will be posting a URL within the next week with more details.

srinivas upadhya

Nov 15, 2014, 9:04:15 AM11/15/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Great! :)

There has been quiet some interest in monitoring, reporting (audit), analytics on Go. We have built quiet a few APIs. May be you can have that as well as part of hack-a-thon. Just throwing in some ideas.

Also, do post on go-cd about it. There are a few more people in that forum. Thanks!

jason

Nov 17, 2014, 8:46:59 AM11/17/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Is there going to be a stream of this for those who cannot attend in person?  Google Groups maybe?  Not sure if it would work well for this format, just a thought.

Kurt Y

Nov 18, 2014, 10:31:53 AM11/18/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
That is a great idea! I'm making an official "landing page", and once it's ready will post its address. If I can get a stream working, I'll post the info there.

Thanks for the idea!

-Kurt

Kurt Y

Dec 5, 2014, 3:54:03 PM12/5/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
The hackathon approaches!

Date/Location
The event is going to be on Saturday, December 13, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. We will have food and swag. The address is:

L-3 Data Tactics
7901 Jones Branch Dr
Suite 700
McLean, VA 22102

To sign up:

More info:

josh.k...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2014, 10:30:17 AM12/26/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
How did this go?  Are the results posted anywhere?

Kurt Y

Dec 29, 2014, 10:51:01 AM12/29/14
to go-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for reminding me!

See the "Done" section at the top of this page:

-Kurt