emacs 24: cursor shape is now i

Xah Lee

May 7, 2012, 9:42:31 AM5/7/12
In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
to i-beam?

however, setting the following won't work?

(setq cursor-type 'box)
(setq cursor-type 'bar)

any hints on what's going on?

Xah

XeCycle

May 7, 2012, 10:44:12 AM5/7/12
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:

> In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> to i-beam?
>
> however, setting the following won't work?
>
> (setq cursor-type 'box)
> (setq cursor-type 'bar)

Works for me.

> any hints on what's going on?

Did you forget that it's buffer-local?

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Drew Adams

May 7, 2012, 10:51:50 AM5/7/12
to XeCycle, help-gn...@gnu.org
> > In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> > to i-beam? however, setting the following won't work?
> > (setq cursor-type 'box)
> > (setq cursor-type 'bar)
>
> Works for me.
> Did you forget that it's buffer-local?

I too do not see any such change. The behavior with `emacs -Q' seems to be the
same on Emacs 23, 24 pretest, and latest 24 build, all on Windows.

Check your init file, to be sure you are not doing something that affects this
behavior.

Xah Lee

May 7, 2012, 2:17:20 PM5/7/12
On May 7, 7:44 am, XeCycle <XeCy...@Gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
> > In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> > to i-beam?
>
> > however, setting the following won't work?
>
> > (setq cursor-type 'box)
> > (setq cursor-type 'bar)
>
> Works for me.
>
> > any hints on what's going on?
>
> Did you forget that it's buffer-local?
> Carl Lei (XeCycle)

thanks Carl Lei and Drew Adams.

it's strange.

this is

GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN

started with -Q.

it display cursor as i-beam.

Then, if i paste this

(setq cursor-type 'box)

evaluate it, it has no effect in the display. (but the variable did
get set, verified with describe-variable)

i found on the web another guy who had similar problem
http://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/curious-cursor-complication-with-emacs-and-windows-magnifier/

but mine isn't related to Windows magnifier he speaks of. I don't have
that turned on.

Xah

Drew Adams

May 7, 2012, 2:32:13 PM5/7/12
to Xah Lee, help-gn...@gnu.org
> GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
> started with -Q.

I tried with this, which is pretty close, if not identical:

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 108006
agustin...@hispalinux.es-20120423103325-xmra3329elgzhmpc
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
`configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

> it display cursor as i-beam.

Are you sure you don't mean the mouse pointer? The cursor (aka text cursor) is
what indicates point, which is where text gets inserted.

I see the mouse pointer as an I-beam or an arrow, depending on what the mouse is
over. But I see the cursor as a box (by default).

> Then, if i paste this
> (setq cursor-type 'box)
> evaluate it, it has no effect in the display. (but the variable did
> get set, verified with describe-variable)

See above. My crystal ball is trying to tell me that you are looking at the
mouse pointer but setting the text cursor type.

You change the mouse pointer shape using variable (not an option)
`x-pointer-shape'. But I don't think it is possible to change the pointer shape
on MS Windows. See (elisp) `Pointer Shape'.

Xah Lee

May 7, 2012, 9:54:14 PM5/7/12
On May 7, 11:32 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
> > started with -Q.
>
> I tried with this, which is pretty close, if not identical:
>
> In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
> Bzr revision: 108006
> agustin.mar...@hispalinux.es-20120423103325-xmra3329elgzhmpc
this is very strange. No, it's not mouse pointer.

in summery, the problem went away. The cursor is now the normal solid
box, even if i load ALL my inits. The problem was happening to GNU
Emacs with -Q. Very odd indeed.

here's the interesting part. When trying to reproduce this or research
this in more detail, i actually renamed my .emacs (even i have no
reason to, because i was starting FSF's build of GNU emacs, with -Q,
and was reproducible 100%). But anyway, on a whim i renamed my .emacs.
Then, the problem never showed up, no matter what i do or from what
emacs version, nor showing up when i launch my heavily customized
emacs full.

i think that guy's blog in my previous post has something to do with
it. Certainly a odd problem. Maybe something to do with some lowlevel
rendering/display system on Windows.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report more if it happens again and i
can reproduce it.

Xah

Xah Lee

May 7, 2012, 11:54:14 PM5/7/12
found the answer.

when Microsoft Speech Recognition is on, even in a not listening
state, the cursor will be i-beam, even if you start emacs with -Q.
Setting cursor-type has no effect, just like the other guy blogged
about. (his's problem is when screen magnify is on)

Xah

zhanyi...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2012, 2:51:53 AM10/24/12
I run into the same problem. And I checked the speech recognition and screen magnify, both are turned off. Any suggestions?
BTW, I do think it's related with some office option.

drain

Oct 24, 2012, 8:14:20 PM10/24/12
to Help-gn...@gnu.org
Is there a technical reason to prefer bar / box / hollow? i.e.,
why is box the default setting for the variable?

sunch...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2017, 5:15:48 PM4/17/17
I am experiencing exactly the same issue which drives me crazy. Changing the variables or editing .emacs has no effect on it. Any idea? Windows 10 with emacs 25.1.1.

sunch...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2017, 5:24:32 PM4/17/17
Oh by the way, when I followed what was described and load emacs without an init file, i.e. through emacs -Q, then close and launch emacs the usual way, everything works just fine. I got the right cursor shape with the right cursor color. Isnt it weird...

Jason Rumney

Apr 21, 2017, 5:40:25 AM4/21/17
On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 05:24:32 UTC+8, sunch...@gmail.com wrote:

> > On Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:42:31 AM UTC-4, Xah Lee wrote:
> > > In emacs 24, the cursor shape seems to have changed from a solid box
> > > to i-beam?
> > >

> > I am experiencing exactly the same issue which drives me crazy. Changing the variables or editing .emacs has no effect on it. Any idea? Windows 10 with emacs 25.1.1.
>
> Oh by the way, when I followed what was described and load emacs without an init file, i.e. through emacs -Q, then close and launch emacs the usual way, everything works just fine. I got the right cursor shape with the right cursor color. Isnt it weird...

Emacs may have detected some sort of assistive device (like screen magnifier, or a screen reader) active at the time of startup the first time.

When such software is detected, Emacs uses a native Windows cursor so that the assistive software can track the cursor properly and do its job.
The variables that control the look of Emacs cursor do not work when the native Windows cursor is being used.