Major and minor modes

M.R.P.

Jun 13, 2017, 7:58:45 PM6/13/17
Can anyone explain to me clearly how Major modes and minor modes work
together. Can any minor mode work within any major mode? How do these
work together?

Barry Margolin

Jun 14, 2017, 10:16:03 AM6/14/17
In article <z-SdnaV-lJGz4d3E...@giganews.com>,
Some minor modes are modifications to a specific set of major modes, so
they can only work with those modes. For instance, electric mode
modifies a number of language modes.

Other minor modes are more general, and can work with any major mode.
For instance, auto-fill mode. But sometimes it's not very useful -- you
probably don't want to do auto filling when editing programs rather than
text.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA