list of marks in a buffer

Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99

Is it possible to get a list of all marks in a given buffer ?
Alternatively, if I want to do something that amounts to

(erase-buffer)
(refill-buffer)

but keep marks pointing to some "reasonable place" (the new content of the
buffer is expected to look very much like the original one), how can I do that?

Stefan

Eli Zaretskii

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

On 23 Jun 1999, Stefan Monnier <f...@acm.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to get a list of all marks in a given buffer ?

`mark-ring' is a buffer-local variable that holds the list of marks in
the buffer.

Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99

I thought "great" and then I thought again: this does not
contain *all* markers pointing to this buffer. Only the ones set via
something like push-mark. The ones set via direct calls to copy-marker
are not in there. I need/want to maintain all markers, even the ones
held in compilation-error-list, for example.

Stefan

Dave Love

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99

SM> I need/want to maintain all markers, even the ones
SM> held in compilation-error-list, for example.

I'm not sure this makes sense, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it.