build fails with segmentation fault, how to find the reason?

Gregor Zattler

Feb 27, 2015, 6:57:04 PM2/27/15
to help-gnu-emacs
Hi, since yesterday my build after a fresh checkout of sources,
fresh ./autogen.sh, fresh ./configgure breaks with a segmentation
fault (see below). Since nobody else complained here or on
emacs-devel I assume this is a local problem on my debian/jessie
system. Any ideas how to track it down?

[...]
CC textprop.o
CC composite.o
CC xml.o
CC gfilenotify.o
CC profiler.o
CC decompress.o
CC xfont.o
CC ftfont.o
CC xftfont.o
CC ftxfont.o
CC fontset.o
CC fringe.o
CC image.o
CC xgselect.o
CC terminfo.o
CC lastfile.o
CCLD temacs
/bin/mkdir -p ../etc
: paxctl -r temacs
setfattr -n user.pax.flags -v er temacs
make -C ../lisp update-subdirs
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/grfz/src/emacs/lisp'
for file in `find . -type d -print`; do case $file in .*/cedet* | .*/leim* ) ;; *) wins="$wins${wins:+ }$file" ;; esac; done; \
for file in $wins; do \
./../build-aux/update-subdirs $file; \
done;
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/emacs/lisp'
./temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
Makefile:830: recipe for target 'bootstrap-emacs' failed
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/emacs/src'
Makefile:398: recipe for target 'src' failed
make: *** [src] Error 2

Ciao; Gregor

Glenn Morris

Feb 27, 2015, 7:34:11 PM2/27/15
to help-gnu-emacs
Gregor Zattler wrote:

> fault (see below). Since nobody else complained here or on
> emacs-devel I assume this is a local problem on my debian/jessie
> system.

Or maybe they just know to where to report bugs? :)
Ie to the bug list, not the help or devel lists.
I guess you are on a 32-bit system:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/19959

Gregor Zattler

Feb 28, 2015, 6:19:17 AM2/28/15