Problems printing

Paw Writer

Feb 18, 2018, 10:55:32 PM2/18/18
to EMACS Help
I recently went from emacs 23.3.3 to 25.3.1. I cannot get printing to work,
however. I can print from other programs. I have the required programs
installed; PrintFile, Ghost & GhostView from when I ran 23.3. When I try to
print anything, I get the following message:
Formatting...done
Spooling...
w32-direct-print-region-helper: Opening output file: Permission denied,
c:/WSD-3b7ac7d1-ffd7-457b-9414-bcaa7e1ec688.0036

Eli Zaretskii

Feb 19, 2018, 11:25:29 AM2/19/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: "Paw Writer" <paww...@comcast.net>
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 21:12:31 -0500
Is this on the same Windows systems as the one where you used Emacs
23? If not, maybe your user doesn't have write access to the root
directory on drive C?

What is the value of temp-file-directory?

Eli Zaretskii

Feb 21, 2018, 12:20:01 PM2/21/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: "Paw Writer" <paww...@comcast.net>
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 00:10:25 -0500
>
> It is the same system. And I have Admin Privilege, since I am the only User.

Well, I cannot spot any differences in the related functions between
the 2 Emacs versions, so maybe the problem is at some lower level.

Can you step with Edebug through the w32 printing code in dos-w32.el,
and compare what happens there in the 2 Emacs versions?

Paw Writer

Feb 21, 2018, 2:15:14 PM2/21/18
to Eli Zaretskii, help-gn...@gnu.org
On Windows 10, I can't run both versions of EMacs. Something about the old
version slows down the system.

Eli Zaretskii

Feb 21, 2018, 3:03:36 PM2/21/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: "Paw Writer" <paww...@comcast.net>
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:14:56 -0500
>
> On Windows 10, I can't run both versions of EMacs. Something about the old
> version slows down the system.

I'm confused: didn't you say this happens on the same system, i.e. the
only difference is that you upgraded your Emacs? If so, then the
older version did run on this very system.

Paw Writer

Feb 21, 2018, 9:43:15 PM2/21/18
to Eli Zaretskii, help-gn...@gnu.org
Yes, EMacs ran, but the system run slow. I had Microsoft analyze the system
to see why and they said Emacs 23.3.3 caused it. After I removed it, the
system DID run faster.
I had both 23.3.3 & 25.3.1 on the system and just changed Home to run each
one. However, 25.3.1 had a problem with the 23.3.1 .emacs and I only
corrected that recently. I have no problems with Emacs initializing now, and
most of what I have tested works, I just cannot print,

> Yes, EMacs ran, but the system run slow. I had Microsoft analyze the system
> to see why and they said Emacs 23.3.3 caused it. After I removed it, the
> system DID run faster.
> I had both 23.3.3 & 25.3.1 on the system and just changed Home to run each
> one. However, 25.3.1 had a problem with the 23.3.1 .emacs and I only
> corrected that recently. I have no problems with Emacs initializing now, and
> most of what I have tested works, I just cannot print,

OK, then please show your setup for printing: all the printing-related
customizations you have in your init file(s). I'm not sure I
understand whether you print directly to a printer or using some
intermediate printing program.

Paw Writer

Feb 25, 2018, 11:30:46 PM2/25/18
to Eli Zaretskii, help-gn...@gnu.org
I'm going to have to get back to you on that. I've a project I have get
finished by the end of the month.