Upgrading Emacs from Git

Marcin Borkowski

Feb 10, 2016, 5:23:14 AM2/10/16
to Help Gnu Emacs mailing list
Hi,

a quick question: I compiled Emacs from Git and now want to upgrade it.
Is it enough to pull a fresh version and then make && make install?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

Eli Zaretskii

Feb 10, 2016, 12:28:07 PM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: Marcin Borkowski <mb...@mbork.pl>
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:22:53 +0100
>
> a quick question: I compiled Emacs from Git and now want to upgrade it.
> Is it enough to pull a fresh version and then make && make install?

It should be enough to "git pull" into the same repository where you
have the previous version, and then "make && make install".

Gregor Zattler

Feb 10, 2016, 1:13:24 PM2/10/16
to help-gnu-emacs
Hi Marcin,
* Marcin Borkowski <mb...@mbork.pl> [10. Feb. 2016]:
> a quick question: I compiled Emacs from Git and now want to upgrade it.
> Is it enough to pull a fresh version and then make && make install?

A simple git pull is all you need to do in order to get new
commits. After that do a make && make install.

Ciao, Gregor
--
-... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

Óscar Fuentes

Feb 10, 2016, 1:20:31 PM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Eli Zaretskii <el...@gnu.org> writes:

>> a quick question: I compiled Emacs from Git and now want to upgrade it.
>> Is it enough to pull a fresh version and then make && make install?
>
> It should be enough to "git pull" into the same repository where you
> have the previous version, and then "make && make install".

If "make" fails, try "make bootstrap".

Emanuel Berg

Feb 10, 2016, 7:55:18 PM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Óscar Fuentes <o...@wanadoo.es> writes:

>> It should be enough to "git pull" into the same
>> repository where you have the previous version, and
>> then "make && make install".
>
> If "make" fails, try "make bootstrap".

What do you do if that fails as well?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Óscar Fuentes

Feb 10, 2016, 8:24:16 PM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Emanuel Berg <embe...@student.uu.se> writes:

>>> It should be enough to "git pull" into the same
>>> repository where you have the previous version, and
>>> then "make && make install".
>>
>> If "make" fails, try "make bootstrap".
>
> What do you do if that fails as well?

In the directory that contains the git checkout execute:

git clean -f -d -x

That ensures that you are using a pristine source directory. Then

make

If that fails, then the build is broken due to some erroneous change
made by the developers. Wait one day or two, "git pull" again, repeat
the build process. If the build is still broken, on Emacs do

M-x report-emacs-bug

including details about your setup (compiler, library versions, etc) and
the output of the build at the failure point.

It is possible to check out a previous vesion (one day ago, for
instance) instead of waiting for a fix upstream, but that requires and
slightly more complicated git usage.

P. A. López-Valencia

Feb 10, 2016, 8:25:55 PM2/10/16
El 10/02/2016 a las 7:52 p. m., Emanuel Berg escribió:
> Óscar Fuentes <o...@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>>> It should be enough to "git pull" into the same
>>> repository where you have the previous version, and
>>> then "make && make install".
>>
>> If "make" fails, try "make bootstrap".
>
> What do you do if that fails as well?

You do:

[you@yourbox /path/to/emacs-git-repo-copy] $ make distclean &&
./configure [--config-flags] && make

Emanuel Berg

Feb 10, 2016, 8:55:52 PM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Óscar Fuentes <o...@wanadoo.es> writes:

>> What do you do if that fails as well?
>
> In the directory that contains the git checkout
> execute:
>
> git clean -f -d -x
>
> That ensures that you are using a pristine source
> directory. Then
>
> make
>
> If that fails, then the build is broken due to some
> erroneous change made by the developers. Wait one day
> or two, "git pull" again, repeat the build process.
> If the build is still broken, on Emacs do
>
> M-x report-emacs-bug
>
> including details about your setup (compiler, library
> versions, etc) and the output of the build at the
> failure point.
>
> It is possible to check out a previous vesion (one day
> ago, for instance) instead of waiting for a fix
> upstream, but that requires and slightly more
> complicated git usage.

Case closed :)

Stefan Monnier

Feb 11, 2016, 9:10:31 AM2/11/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
>> a quick question: I compiled Emacs from Git and now want to upgrade it.
>> Is it enough to pull a fresh version and then make && make install?
> A simple git pull is all you need to do in order to get new
> commits. After that do a make && make install.

FWIW, I just do "make" and never run "make install".

Stefan