Why does byte compilation affect existing Emacs session?

Alex Branham

Feb 16, 2018, 5:32:34 PM2/16/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the following behavior. I've set the f1 key to
a keymap. Then I open a file with the contents

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(use-package help
:defer t)
#+END_SRC

and byte compile it with M-x byte-compile-file. Now the f1 key is back
to the help keymap (same as C-h), and not whatever I had set it to
before.

Why does byte compilation affect an *existing* Emacs session if the elc
file isn't loaded?

(Yes, I know I can add :no-require t to prevent this, I just don't
understand what's going on in the first place)

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Stefan Monnier

Feb 18, 2018, 5:26:47 PM2/18/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (use-package help
> :defer t)
> #+END_SRC
>
> and byte compile it with M-x byte-compile-file. Now the f1 key is back
> to the help keymap (same as C-h), and not whatever I had set it to
> before.

Please report this as a bug (i.e. via M-x report-emacs-bug).

Stefan