Can't Stop Tramp from invoking my login fish shell

d...@ddoherty.net

Jan 7, 2017, 9:00:52 AM1/7/17
All,

I have started using the fish shell, which I like for interactive use. I have set it to be my default shell with chsh.

However, it does not play well with TRAMP, which uses the 'COMMAND && COMMAND' syntax in several places. When I open a file in a remote dir over TRAMP, I get and error complaining about fish not implementing the && construct.

I believe TRAMP always uses /bin/sh as the shell on the remote side, so I'm guessing this is invoking it on the local side.

The error message pops up in a *temp* buffer, which goes away when I type anything in it, but it says something like this:

Unsupported use of && ...
fish: scp -p -q -r ... && echo tramp_exit_status 0 || echo tramp_exit_status 1

I have tried setting explicit-shell-file-name to "/bin/bash" and setting SHELL environment variable to "/bin/bash" with setenv when tramp is loaded.

None of this has stopped this message.

Any idea what is happening?

d...@ddoherty.net

Jan 9, 2017, 6:18:02 AM1/9/17
I received an answer to this via email. Since I'm not sure the person who sent it wants his name posted, I'll refrain. But it turns out that the answer is setting the variable shell-file-name (not explicit-shell-file-name as I was doing and as I see posted elsewhere as a solution) to "/bin/bash":

(setq shell-file-name "/bin/bash")

This worked and kept fish from getting invoked by tramp.

Thanks again to he-who-shall-no-be-named for the answer.