Mail avec emacs24

Rossi Xavier

Apr 29, 2015, 7:05:02 PM4/29/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Bonjour,

Je suis un peu novice avec emacs24.
J'aimerais cependant l'utiliser comme client mail.

Compte pop3 et smtp.

Si vous avez des astuces et conseil, merci d'avance.

--
Rossi Xavier
xavr...@voo.be

Pierre Lorenzon

Apr 30, 2015, 12:01:06 AM4/30/15
to xavr...@voo.be, help-gn...@gnu.org
From: Rossi Xavier <xavr...@voo.be>
Subject: Mail avec emacs24
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 00:48:36 +0200

> Bonjour,
>
> Je suis un peu novice avec emacs24.
> J'aimerais cependant l'utiliser comme client mail.
>
> Compte pop3 et smtp.
>
> Si vous avez des astuces et conseil, merci d'avance.

mew : http://www.mew.org

Pierr

> --
> Rossi Xavier
> xavr...@voo.be

Glyn Millington

Apr 30, 2015, 2:07:37 AM4/30/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Pierre Lorenzon <de...@pollock-nageoire.net> writes:

> From: Rossi Xavier <xavr...@voo.be>
> Subject: Mail avec emacs24
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 00:48:36 +0200
>
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> Je suis un peu novice avec emacs24.
>> J'aimerais cependant l'utiliser comme client mail.
>>
>> Compte pop3 et smtp.
>>
>> Si vous avez des astuces et conseil, merci d'avance.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMail

The packages that come with Emacs are:

Rmail – GNU Emacs default mail reader
Gnus – the news and mail reader with likely the largest user base
MH-E – interface to the MH mail system

Some other packages that are distributed separately are also commonly used:

WanderLust – very good IMAP4 and Offline support
Mew – good IMAP4 support
VM – offers virtual folders and good documentation
NotMuch – an email indexing/search tool with an emacs mail client
mu4e – new email client based on the mu e-mail indexer

I use Gnus and Notmuch

atb

Glyn

Rusi

Apr 30, 2015, 10:59:36 AM4/30/15
On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 11:37:37 AM UTC+5:30, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Pierre Lorenzon writes:
>
> > From: Rossi Xavier
> > Subject: Mail avec emacs24
> > Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 00:48:36 +0200
> >
> >> Bonjour,
> >>
> >> Je suis un peu novice avec emacs24.
> >> J'aimerais cependant l'utiliser comme client mail.
> >>
> >> Compte pop3 et smtp.
> >>
> >> Si vous avez des astuces et conseil, merci d'avance.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMail
>
> The packages that come with Emacs are:
>
> Rmail - GNU Emacs default mail reader
> Gnus - the news and mail reader with likely the largest user base
> MH-E - interface to the MH mail system
>
> Some other packages that are distributed separately are also commonly used:
>
> WanderLust - very good IMAP4 and Offline support
> Mew - good IMAP4 support
> VM - offers virtual folders and good documentation
> NotMuch - an email indexing/search tool with an emacs mail client
> mu4e - new email client based on the mu e-mail indexer
>

> I use Gnus and Notmuch

For some reason Alan Perlis' quote comes to mind:

"If you have a function with 10 parameters you probably missed some"

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo

Apr 30, 2015, 11:39:02 AM4/30/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Rossi Xavier writes:

> Je suis un peu novice avec emacs24. J'aimerais cependant
> l'utiliser comme client mail.
>
> Compte pop3 et smtp.
>
> Si vous avez des astuces et conseil, merci d'avance.

Gnus. Gnus is to mail and news readers what emacs is to text
editors.

To give you an example, to use gmail with IMAP as an example, you
just have to add this to your .emacs:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(setq gnus-select-method
'(nnimap "gmail" (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
#+END_SRC

And you are good to go, just do M-x gnus.

To not be asked for your username and password, create a file
~/.authinfo.gpg with the contents:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
machine imap.gmail.com login your_username password
your_password port 993
machine smtp.gmail.com login your_username password
your_password port 587
#+END_EXAMPLE

Save it, emacs will encrypt it, ask you for a new password, and
from then on, gnus will only ask you the new password once per
session.

To understand how gnus deals with mail, copy this in your scratch
buffer

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
(info "(gnus) Mail in a Newsreader")
#+END_EXAMPLE

Go to the end of the line and hit C-j

This covers the basics:

http://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-basic-usage.html

Best,

--
Jorge.

Hubert Chathi

Apr 30, 2015, 11:54:59 AM4/30/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:43:54 +0100, Glyn Millington <glyn.mi...@gmail.com> said:

[...]

> I use Gnus and Notmuch

Do you mean you use Gnus and Notmuch separately, or you use Gnus to
access Notmuch? If it's the latter, can you give some information about
how you have that set up? I'd be interested in looking into a setup
like that.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hub...@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 4096R/113A1368 (Key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net)

Glyn Millington

Apr 30, 2015, 3:50:19 PM4/30/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hubert Chathi <hub...@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:43:54 +0100, Glyn Millington <glyn.mi...@gmail.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
>> I use Gnus and Notmuch
>
> Do you mean you use Gnus and Notmuch separately, or you use Gnus to
> access Notmuch? If it's the latter, can you give some information about
> how you have that set up? I'd be interested in looking into a setup
> like that.

Hi Hubert,

Normally the latter. I did it something like this.

1. Install notmuch!

2. Run it from the command line, and it will take you through various
configuration options.

3. Set up your init.el to run the emacs notmuch mode (which comes with notmuch)

The code I use is below - mostly pinched from Bastien's init file!
http://bzg.fr/emacs.html. I use John Wiegley's wonderful
use-package.el, but you can extract the useful stuff easily enough.

Hope this helps

Glyn

8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

;;;; NOTMUCH
(use-package notmuch
:defer 3
:config
(progn
;;;; add here stuff required to be configured *before*
;;; notmuch is loaded;
;; address completeion - not needed as we use bbdb
;; (require 'notmuch-address)
;; (setq notmuch-address-command "/usr/local/bin/notmuch-addrlookup")
;; (notmuch-address-message-insinuate)

(setq notmuch-wash-wrap-lines-length 73)

;; set up some useful bindings
(defun gm-notmuch-shortcut ()
(define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "<f7>") 'notmuch-search))

(defun gm-notmuch-new-shortcut ()
(define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "<f6>") (shell-command "notmuch new > /dev/null 2>&1")))

;; hook 'em into gnus-group-mode
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gm-notmuch-shortcut)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gm-notmuch-new-shortcut)

;; getting back into Gnus from notmuch!
(defun gm-notmuch-file-to-group (file)
"Calculate the Gnus group name from the given file name."
(let* ((g0 (directory-file-name (file-name-directory file)))
(g1 (replace-regexp-in-string "/home/glyn/Mail/" "" g0)))
(concat "nnml:" (replace-regexp-in-string "/" "." g1))))

(defun gm-notmuch-goto-message-in-gnus ()
"Open a summary buffer containing the current notmuch
article."
(interactive)
(let ((group (gm-notmuch-file-to-group (notmuch-show-get-filename)))
(message-id (replace-regexp-in-string
"^id:" "" (notmuch-show-get-message-id))))
(setq message-id (replace-regexp-in-string "\"" "" message-id))
(if (and group message-id)
(progn
(switch-to-buffer "*Group*")
(org-gnus-follow-link group message-id))
(message "Couldn't get relevant infos for switching to
Gnus."))))

(define-key notmuch-show-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-c")
'gm-notmuch-goto-message-in-gnus)

(define-key notmuch-search-mode-map "S"
(lambda ()
"mark message as deleted"
(interactive)
(notmuch-search-tag (list "+deleted" "-inbox" "-new")))))

:bind ("<f8>" . notmuch))