pinyin character input

Haines Brown

Feb 6, 2016, 5:13:00 PM2/6/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Sorry for this naive question.

I am using chinese-py input method, but there is a character I cannot
generate. It is ji (first tone), a polite address to a woman. When I
enter "ji", the character I want is not an option. Is this a font
limitation or should I be entering the "ji" somehow with the first tone?

to...@tuxteam.de

Feb 7, 2016, 2:43:37 AM2/7/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org

Lewis Perin

Feb 7, 2016, 7:55:32 PM2/7/16
The chinese-tonepy-punct has that character.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / pe...@acm.org
http://babelcarp.org

William Xu

Feb 10, 2016, 10:33:18 AM2/10/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Haines Brown <hai...@histomat.net> writes:

> I am using chinese-py input method, but there is a character I cannot
> generate. It is ji (first tone), a polite address to a woman. When I
> enter "ji", the character I want is not an option. Is this a font
> limitation or should I be entering the "ji" somehow with the first
> tone?

If this is what you want:

~姬 ~姬 jī A suffix used for a female friend, maiden. "Guniang" (Chinese: 姑娘; pinyin: gūniang) is sometimes used.

After typing "ji", it shows up as first one on the fifth page of the
candidates. (Use arrow down to see next page)

--
William

And in the heartbreak years that lie ahead,
Be true to yourself and the Grateful Dead.
-- Joan Baez