How to get markdown preview mode working on Linux?

David M. Karr

May 19, 2016, 1:56:40 PM5/19/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
I'd like to get some sort of Markdown preview mode working on my Linux
laptop.

I installed the the three main "markdown" packages ("markdown-mode",
"markdown-mode+", and "markdown-preview-mode"). While viewing a markdown
file that I've created (almost empty), I pressed the key bound to
"markdown-preview". It brought up a browser page that said exactly this:
-----------------
/usr/bin/bash: markdown: command not found
-----------------

I read the README on the github page for markdown-preview-mode, and it
doesn't really say much.

Kaushal Modi

May 19, 2016, 2:03:22 PM5/19/16
to David M. Karr, help-gn...@gnu.org
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM David M. Karr <davidmic...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> -----------------
> /usr/bin/bash: markdown: command not found
> -----------------

Well, I have the markdown binary preinstalled on my system in
/usr/bin/markdown.

Would do you get when you do "which markdown" in your terminal? .. Looks
like you do not have that binary preinstalled.

In that case, download the Markdown source script from
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/, extract the .pl from that and
place it in one of the folders in the environment PATH variable. Or add
that dir to the PATH var and restart emacs.

I have the following in my config.

(when (executable-find "Markdown.pl")
(setq markdown-command "Markdown.pl"))

If everything went fine, you should see "Markdown.pl" when you do C-h v
markdown-command.

Kaushal Modi

David M. Karr

May 19, 2016, 2:11:55 PM5/19/16
to Kaushal Modi, help-gn...@gnu.org
On 05/19/2016 11:03 AM, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM David M. Karr
> <davidmic...@gmail.com <mailto:davidmic...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> -----------------
> /usr/bin/bash: markdown: command not found
> -----------------
>

> Well, I have the markdown binary preinstalled on my system in
> /usr/bin/markdown.
>
> Would do you get when you do "which markdown" in your terminal? ..
> Looks like you do not have that binary preinstalled.

I suppose I thought it was obvious that I don't have a "markdown"
executable. I should have been more explicit about that.

> In that case, download the Markdown source script from
> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/, extract the .pl from
> that and place it in one of the folders in the environment PATH
> variable. Or add that dir to the PATH var and restart emacs.

It's funny that none of the markdown preview docs even mentions this.
Does everyone assume this is always there?

> I have the following in my config.
>
> (when (executable-find "Markdown.pl")
> (setq markdown-command "Markdown.pl"))
> If everything went fine, you should see "Markdown.pl" when you do C-h
> v markdown-command.

Yup, that worked fine, thanks.