Problem running M-x flyspell-buffer (aspell error)

Davin Pearson

Jun 22, 2016, 4:39:15 AM6/22/16
Somewhere in upgrading cygwin I have lost my aspell.exe program from being able to use it inside GNU Emacs.

I am using emacs-24.5-bin-i686-mingw32.zip

Should I install the 64 bit or the 32 bit x86 version of aspell.exe?

Is it okay to mix and match 32 bit program files with 64 bit program files?

I have downloaded All -> Text -> aspell from one of Cygwin's mirrors.

Here is what happens when I invoke the command M-x flyspell-buffer

Starting new Ispell process c:\cygwin\bin\aspell.exe with british dictionary...
ispell-init-process: Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/british" can not be opened for reading.

Davin Pearson

Jun 22, 2016, 4:54:38 AM6/22/16
Okay I installed aspell-en-7.1.0-1.tar.bz2 to give me the English dictionary.

But is it okay to mix and match x86 files with x64 files?

Eli Zaretskii

Jun 22, 2016, 11:14:15 AM6/22/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 01:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Davin Pearson <davin....@gmail.com>
>
> But is it okay to mix and match x86 files with x64 files?

Yes, as long as we are talking about native Windows programs. If they
are Cygwin programs, I simply don't know if they can be mixed, perhaps
someone else will tell. Or ask on the Cygwin mailing list.

John Mastro

Jun 22, 2016, 1:14:45 PM6/22/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Davin Pearson <davin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> But is it okay to mix and match x86 files with x64 files?

I'm using a 64 bit Windows and 32 bit Cygwin and the reverse should work
too. However, unless you have a particular reason to use 32 bit, IMO you
might as well use 64 bit across the board.

I get the Emacs binary from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/files/

John

John Mastro

Jun 22, 2016, 1:16:04 PM6/22/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
John Mastro <john.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using a 64 bit Windows
^^^^^^^

I mean 64 bit Emacs (though I'm using 64 bit Windows too obviously...).

John

Davin Pearson

Jun 24, 2016, 11:55:20 PM6/24/16
On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 5:16:04 AM UTC+12, John Mastro wrote:
> John Mastro wrote:
> > I'm using a 64 bit Windows
> ^^^^^^^
>
> I mean 64 bit Emacs (though I'm using 64 bit Windows too obviously...).

Where do I go about getting a 64 version of GNU Emacs?

The following Website doesn't have it:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/

Also, how do I go about getting a 64 bit version under Lubuntu GNU/Linux?

sudo apt-get install emacs24 gives me the 32 bit version.

John Mastro

Jun 25, 2016, 12:14:53 AM6/25/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Davin Pearson <davin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do I go about getting a 64 version of GNU Emacs?
>
> The following Website doesn't have it:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> Also, how do I go about getting a 64 bit version under Lubuntu GNU/Linux?
>
> sudo apt-get install emacs24 gives me the 32 bit version.

I get 64 bit Emacs binaries for Windows from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/files/?source=navbar

On GNU/Linux I just check out the git repository and build from source (see the file INSTALL.REPO at the top level of the repo for instructions). If you go this route, you should run "git checkout emacs-25" before building so that you're on the release branch, given the current point in the development cycle.

However, if Lubuntu is giving you 32 bit binaries, perhaps the OS itself is 32 bit? In that case I don't think you can run 64 bit binaries. Conversely, f you have the 64 bit version of Lubuntu, apt-get should install a 64 bit Emacs without you needing to do anything special. Unless you want to use a development version for other reasons, apt obviously has many benefits.

John