starting a campaign to financially support emacs development?

toogley

Sep 20, 2016, 4:53:16 PM9/20/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hey,

as the 'neovim' project [1] has started a while ago a sponsor campaign to support its development[2], i thought sth like that would be also appliable for emacs. The Idea is that everybody who likes to encourage emacs development would pay a little money once - or even better, regularly. This way, the GNU project will may be able to employ a second maintainer and/or increase Quality standards (e.g. by using a continuous integration server or whatever, i don't know much about this :D).

I would love sth like that to happen. But i'm not a good organizing person, so i don't know much about how to start.

Basically, the target of this Email is to collect opinions on the idea of financially supporting emacs development, as well its implementation (with that, i mean how to announce/communicate that, etc.).

Note: I already asked the donations person about generally supporting specifically the emacs development, but they said currently its not possible - but I could donate to GNU, because tehy are responsible for the bug tracker and such. However, i personally like the idea of specifically donating to the emacs development team or sth like that.

Questions:

- Do you like this idea? Whats your general opinion on this topic?
- What do you think would help the development of Emacs most?
- How should we begin? Should we first count how many people would like to contribute how much to the emacs development, to convince the GNU project to support this idea?
- How should we organize this?

regards,
toogley

[1]: https://github.com/neovim/neovim