Abbreviated newspaper articles with eww

Michael Heerdegen

May 5, 2015, 8:50:31 AM5/5/15
to Emacs mailing list
Hello,

I want to read newspaper articles on "www.sueddeutsche.de" with eww.
But some articles are appearing incomplete (there is a paywall on the
site, but the articles I mean are not behind it).

Here is an example:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/reparationszahlungen-gewolltes-missverstaendnis-1.2463623

With firefox or w3m, I get a complete article. With eww, it is
abbreviated after:

| Bundesrepublik gebe endlich zu, Zahlungen prüfen zu müssen. Muss sie ...

Not all articles are affected, only some.

I tried to

(setq-default
url-user-agent
(concat "User-Agent: Emacs-w3m/" emacs-w3m-version " " w3m-version "\r\n"))

hoping this could help, but this didn't make a difference. The article
is fetched incompletely by url-retrieve:

(url-retrieve
"http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/reparationszahlungen-gewolltes-missverstaendnis-1.2463623"
(lambda (&rest args) (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer))))

gives me the abbreviated version.

What can I do to get the complete article to eww?

Thanks,

Michael.

to...@tuxteam.de

May 5, 2015, 11:04:47 AM5/5/15
to Michael Heerdegen, Emacs mailing list

Michael Heerdegen

May 5, 2015, 11:52:41 AM5/5/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hello Tomas,

> Some sites have a kind of "soft" paywall, which shows you (or whatever
> their fuzzball of code thinks is "you") a limited number of articles
> in full, after that they come in mutilated. The ellipsis in your quote
> seems to hint at some "deliberate" action and not at an accident (the
> version I got just continues there, no ellipsis).

I think you are right. I got confused by the "fuzz" part. I think they
have such a "soft" paywall. Dunno why I thought the problem would come
from Emacs... ;-)

Many Thanks,

Michael.

to...@tuxteam.de