How to update Emacs git?

Rodolfo Medina

Feb 28, 2015, 11:17:43 AM2/28/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi all.

I downloaded and installed Emacs git with:

$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
$ cd emacs
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

. Now, suppose I want to simply update it without downloading it all again.
What shall I do?

Thanks for any help,

Rodolfo

Andrey Lisin

Feb 28, 2015, 11:20:34 AM2/28/15
to Rodolfo Medina, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,

probably, something like this will do what you want:

$ cd emacs
$ git pull
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

`git pull' command will download only the changes, not whole repository.

Eli Zaretskii

Feb 28, 2015, 11:39:34 AM2/28/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: Andrey Lisin <andrey...@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 22:20:18 +0600
> Cc: help-gn...@gnu.org
>
> $ cd emacs
> $ git pull
> $ ./autogen.sh <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> $ ./configure <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> $ make
> $ make install

The 2 marked commands are not really necessary, except after the
initial clone. After that, just "make" will do (it will regenerate
the configure script and run it with the same arguments automatically,
if needed).

Andrey Lisin

Feb 28, 2015, 11:45:17 AM2/28/15
to Eli Zaretskii, help-gn...@gnu.org