Eshell tramp and multihop

Divan Santana

Sep 19, 2016, 10:10:31 AM9/19/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi All,

I'm really hoping to be able to replace my X terminals with some mode in
Emacs.

Though find it pretty difficult to do so far.

That's mostly because I'm new to Emacs and still missing a lot of basics
which I hope to learn in time.

One of the issues I have is with eshell and tramp.

How to use eshell with tramp with multihops

So when you need to use multihops with TRAMP you need a pipe AFAIK.

Something like this works just find from find-file

/ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root/somefile.txt

I can't get eshell working with tramp and multihop directly.

I would expect this to work in eshell:

/ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root

It seems not to like the pipe. Not sure if there is away around that?

For now the method I have is to open the remote "path" via find-file,
then spwan eshell after that. That seems to work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
--
Divan Santana

Divan Santana

Sep 19, 2016, 10:10:32 AM9/19/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Ok, figured it out. Simple. Basically just needed to quote the cd, like so

cd
"/ssh:somenode|sudo:root@somenode|su:anotheruser@somenode:/home/anotheruser"

So the above ssh's to somenode, then sudo's to root, then su's to the
"anotheruser". Pretty cool.

Still have tons to figure out and get working before I can ditch my
terminal emulator.

To read FirstRand Bank's Disclaimer for this email click on the following address or copy into your Internet browser:
https://www.fnb.co.za/about-fnb/legal-matters/email-disclaimer.html

firstrandba...@fnb.co.za and we will send you a copy of the Disclaimer.