Etymology of `visiting' files

Udyant Wig

Aug 8, 2016, 5:54:36 AM8/8/16
What motivated the choice of the verb `visiting'?

From reading some of the relevant section in the Emacs and Elisp
manuals, I understand the process the verb names. However, I wanted to
find some reasoning or discussion about the choice of verb; my own
expectation would have been something like `edit' or `load', but that
would be looking through the lens provided by recent editing systems.

--
Udyant Wig

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Aug 8, 2016, 6:53:45 AM8/8/16
When you visit a friend's home, you enter it, you can look around, and
you may touch and change something (move a vase from the table to the
console) or not, and then leave the house.

Same with files.

visit = (or edit load)

edit implies some mutation.
load implies no mutation.

When you visit, you can do either.

Ted Zlatanov

Aug 8, 2016, 9:58:45 AM8/8/16
On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 15:24:31 +0530 Udyant Wig <udy...@rudiments.goosenet.in> wrote:

UW> What motivated the choice of the verb `visiting'?
UW> From reading some of the relevant section in the Emacs and Elisp
UW> manuals, I understand the process the verb names. However, I wanted to
UW> find some reasoning or discussion about the choice of verb; my own
UW> expectation would have been something like `edit' or `load', but that
UW> would be looking through the lens provided by recent editing systems.

The term "visiting" does not show up in a 1978 guide to Emacs (but maybe
it was already in use):
https://web.archive.org/web/20110723033542/http://www.burlingtontelecom.net/~ashawley/gnu/emacs/doc/emacs-1978.html#Basic-File_002dHandling-Commands

It shows up in 1981, in the RMS paper on Emacs:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

Either way, I think it predates modern CUA standards, which emerged in
the late 80's, and which AFAIK set down the File menu (with Quit and
Open items) consistently.

HTH
Ted

Udyant Wig

Aug 9, 2016, 1:17:25 AM8/9/16
"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com> writes:
> When you visit a friend's home, you enter it, you can look around, and
> you may touch and change something (move a vase from the table to the
> console) or not, and then leave the house.
>
> Same with files.
>
> visit = (or edit load)
>
> edit implies some mutation.
> load implies no mutation.
>
> When you visit, you can do either.

That is a nice and reasonable rationale. Thanks.

--
Udyant Wig

Udyant Wig

Aug 9, 2016, 1:37:41 AM8/9/16
Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> writes:
> The term "visiting" does not show up in a 1978 guide to Emacs (but
> maybe it was already in use):
> https://web.archive.org/web/20110723033542/http://www.burlingtontelecom.net/~ashawley/gnu/emacs/doc/emacs-1978.html#Basic-File_002dHandling-Commands

Thanks for the link. I was unaware of this one.

> It shows up in 1981, in the RMS paper on Emacs:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

I had checked this paper and also the Emacs manual for TWENEX users
(AIM-555). Both mention `visiting' but include no rationale for the
choice. Perhaps the technical meaning (of `visiting') was sufficiently
similar to regular English usage that it did not seem to need
explanation.

> Either way, I think it predates modern CUA standards, which emerged in
> the late 80's, and which AFAIK set down the File menu (with Quit and
> Open items) consistently.

IIRC, CUA came (long) after various Emacsen were written and in use; it
was mostly an effort to standardize DOS applications. The Wikipedia
article says as much and lists a number of IBM documents beginning 1987.

<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access>

> HTH
> Ted

It did.

--
Udyant Wig

Barry Margolin

Aug 9, 2016, 11:37:04 AM8/9/16
In article <87lh06b...@rudiments.goosenet.in>,
Udyant Wig <udyan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> writes:
> > The term "visiting" does not show up in a 1978 guide to Emacs (but
> > maybe it was already in use):
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20110723033542/http://www.burlingtontelecom.net/
> > ~ashawley/gnu/emacs/doc/emacs-1978.html#Basic-File_002dHandling-Commands
>
> Thanks for the link. I was unaware of this one.
>
> > It shows up in 1981, in the RMS paper on Emacs:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html
>
> I had checked this paper and also the Emacs manual for TWENEX users
> (AIM-555). Both mention `visiting' but include no rationale for the
> choice. Perhaps the technical meaning (of `visiting') was sufficiently
> similar to regular English usage that it did not seem to need
> explanation.

I think it may also be a bit of a retronym. Emacs has two commands for
opening files: C-x C-f and C-x C-v. They needed mnemonics that
distinguished them, so the first is "Find" and the second is "Visit".

GNU Emacs has abandoned the mnemonic name of C-x C-v.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA