Re: File .emacs not read (resolved)

1 view

Philippe Delavalade

Dec 2, 2017, 5:47:30 AM12/2/17
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Le jeudi 30 novembre à 09:26, Philippe Delavalade a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I'm using emacs 25.3.1 under linux ; I just upgraded slint-14.2 to 14.2.1rc2.
>
> Now when starting emacs as user philippe or root or others, it seems that
> ~/.emacs is not read and I obtain a window *warnings* saying :
>
> Error (initialization): User GDM has no home directory

A command
grep -i "gdm" /etc/*
showed me a bash script with the line
export LOGNAME="GDM"
I commented it and now everything looks clean.

Thanks for answers and apologies for my question.

--
Ph. Delavalade

Emanuel Berg

Dec 2, 2017, 8:11:48 PM12/2/17
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Philippe Delavalade wrote:

> A command grep -i "gdm" /etc/* showed me
> a bash script with the line export
> LOGNAME="GDM" I commented it and now
> everything looks clean.

Great! :)

Do this as well

$ sudo grep -r 'export LOGNAME' /

so to make sure nothing else messes with it.
It takes some time to complete. And just as
with `apropos-value', some of the hits can be
related to the search itself...

> Thanks for answers and apologies for
> my question.

Not at all :)

Most questions/discussions here are about Emacs
itself but getting Emacs to work isn't OT.
No post that has the word "Emacs" in it is,
basically...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573