M-x customize and long lines

Yegor Timoshenko

Aug 12, 2017, 11:13:24 AM8/12/17
to help-gn...@gnu.org
M-x customize sometimes produces very long lines (for example, try
customizing eshell-modules-list). Here's what I get:

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
'(eshell-modules-list
(quote
(eshell-alias eshell-cmpl eshell-dirs eshell-glob eshell-hist eshell-ls
eshell-term eshell-tramp eshell-unix)))

How do I make M-x customize respect 80 chars per line limit? Is there a
hook? I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
Yegor

Drew Adams

Aug 12, 2017, 12:02:49 PM8/12/17
to Yegor Timoshenko, help-gn...@gnu.org
1. I don't think there is one, out of the box.

2. If you define `custom-file' then you won't need to care about
how Customize writes to it. You will likely never edit it
or even look at it.

You might want to file an enhancement request
(`M-x report-emacs-bug'), asking that Customize use `fill-column'
when it pretty-prints.

Yegor Timoshenko

Aug 15, 2017, 4:06:42 PM8/15/17
to Drew Adams, help-gn...@gnu.org
Thanks! I've sent an enhancement request.