Fwd: emacs 25.1 on AIX: no gui

Burkhard Schultheis

Apr 20, 2018, 5:26:09 AM4/20/18

Betreff: emacs 25.1 on AIX: no gui
Datum: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 10:46:29 +0200
Von: Burkhard Schultheis <burkhard....@web.de>
Newsgruppen: comp.emacs

I'm using emacs for about 20 years and now I have a problem I never had:
The new installed emacs 25.1 from bull does not start his gui (AIX 7.2).
Of course, I have installed all needed packages including
emacs-X11-25.1-1.aix6.1.ppc.rpm and other X11 programs are working
normally. But if I start emacs, it starts in the terminal window. I've
already tried emacs -d <DISPLAY>, but without success.

What can I do?

Regards
Burkhard

Eli Zaretskii

Apr 21, 2018, 3:22:42 AM4/21/18
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> From: Burkhard Schultheis <burkhard....@web.de>
> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 11:25:41 +0200
>
> I'm using emacs for about 20 years and now I have a problem I never had:
> The new installed emacs 25.1 from bull does not start his gui (AIX 7.2).
> Of course, I have installed all needed packages including
> emacs-X11-25.1-1.aix6.1.ppc.rpm and other X11 programs are working
> normally. But if I start emacs, it starts in the terminal window. I've
> already tried emacs -d <DISPLAY>, but without success.

When you start Emacs, do you see any messages in the echo area or in
the *Messages* buffer that could be related to the issue?

Is $DISPLAY set in the environment? What about $TERM?

Do previous versions of emacs-x11 from the same site start GUI
sessions on the same AIX system?

If nothing helps or gives a clue, step with a debugger through the
function init_display (defined on dispnew.c), and see what is going on
there.

P.S. This kind of issue should be discussed on the bug tracker, not
here. Please use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to report it, and then
follow up with the details.

Thanks.

Emanuel Berg

Apr 21, 2018, 4:22:19 AM4/21/18
Eli Zaretskii wrote

> When you start Emacs, do you see any messages
> in the echo area or in the *Messages* buffer
> that could be related to the issue?

If you can help this guy even I must admit you
are a stand-up guy. Any army in the world would
agree including those with nukes which BTW will
be the laughing stock in a coupl'a one hundred
years, God willing. (almost positive)

As for me I'm happy I went the line I went.
The mechanical hacking was always extreamly
powerful YES pleasant YES but the limitation
was equally apparent just as those stockpiles
of nukes be it American or Russian or
fictitious Iraqis... In the end, it is is just
to mechanical, one-dimensional.

Cred and love to Emacs and Unix and even
Windows (OMG) hackers all over the world,
Russia, Israel, Canada, Mexico, North America
(except USA), Egypt (not the current people),
Germany, Finland, SWEDEN obviously, the rest of
Scandinavia (except Norway) Iran, no country,
etc ööö

BTW they asked Saddam on a press conference if
he had done something embarrassing ever. He said
he had his fly/zipper open during the entire
Gulf War :)

Cred to vets with PTSD who, still, and always
has a lot of maturing work to stock, again just
like the nukes I was talking about.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Burkhard Schultheis

Apr 23, 2018, 4:30:17 AM4/23/18
Am 21.04.2018 um 09:22 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> When you start Emacs, do you see any messages in the echo area or in
> the *Messages* buffer that could be related to the issue?

No messages.

> Is $DISPLAY set in the environment? What about $TERM?

Of course, DISPLAY is set correctly. Other X11 programs work normally.
$TERM has the value xterm.

> Do previous versions of emacs-x11 from the same site start GUI
> sessions on the same AIX system?

This is a fresh install of AIX 7, my first AIX 7 system.
The following packages are installed:

emacs-X11-25.1-1.ppc
emacs-25.1-1.ppc

That should be sufficient, I think.

> If nothing helps or gives a clue, step with a debugger through the
> function init_display (defined on dispnew.c), and see what is going on
> there.
>
> P.S. This kind of issue should be discussed on the bug tracker, not
> here. Please use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to report it, and then
> follow up with the details.

Done.

Thanks!

Regards
Burkhard

Burkhard Schultheis

Apr 23, 2018, 8:49:45 AM4/23/18
to Stefan Husmann, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hallo Stefan,

auf dem Handy klappt es nicht so recht mit dem Zitieren. ;-)

Installiert sind die Packages
emacs-X11-25.1-1.ppc
emacs-25.1-1.ppc
Das müsste IMHO reichen. Und die nicht-8-Version funktioniert ja ganz normal.

Danke für deine Hilfe!

Grüße
Burkhard