gnorb user ?

Xavier Maillard

May 25, 2016, 5:54:14 PM5/25/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hello,

is there anybody using gnorb package that would share his settings with me and
show his workflow ?

I have read the info doc but, still, I do not understand fully how I should
use all this stuff.

If it is worth it, here is my settings (copy/pasted from the documentation):

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(use-package gnorb
:defer 5
:bind (:map message-mode-map ("C-c t" . gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo))
:config
(use-package init-gnus :config (setq gnus-registry-install t)
(setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key "t")
(gnorb-tracking-initialize))

(use-package gnorb-bbdb
:init
(setq gnorb-org-agenda-popup-bbdb t)
:bind (
;; ("C-c C" . gnorb-bbdb-cite-contact)
:map bbdb-mode-map
("O" . gnorb-bbdb-tag-agenda)
("S" . gnorb-bbdb-mail-search)
;; ([remap bbdb-mail] . gnorb-bbdb-mail)
("l" . gnorb-bbdb-open-link)))

(use-package gnorb-org
:bind (
:map org-mode-map
("C-c C" . gnorb-org-contact-link)
("C-c t" . gnorb-org-handle-mail)
("C-c e" . gnorb-org-view)
("C-c E" . gnorb-org-email-subtree)
("C-c V" . gnorb-org-popup-bbdb))
(:map org-agenda-mode-map
("H" . gnorb-org-handle-mail)
("V" . gnorb-org-popup-bbdb)))
(use-package gnorb-gnus
:bind (
:map gnus-summary-mime-map ("a" . gnorb-gnus-article-org-attach))
(:map gnus-summary-mode-map ("C-c t" . gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo))
:config
(push '("attach to org heading" . gnorb-gnus-mime-org-attach)
gnus-mime-action-alist)
;; The only way to add mime button command keys is by redefining
;; gnus-mime-button-map, possibly not ideal. Ideal would be a
;; setter function in gnus itself.
(push '(gnorb-gnus-mime-org-attach "a" "Attach to Org heading")
gnus-mime-button-commands)
(setq gnus-mime-button-map
(let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
(define-key map gnus-mouse-2 'gnus-article-push-button)
(define-key map gnus-down-mouse-3 'gnus-mime-button-menu)
(dolist (c gnus-mime-button-commands)
(define-key map (cadr c) (car c)))
map))))
#+END_SRC

All of this is not enough to get started succesfully IMO.

Thank you
Xavier

Nick Dokos

May 25, 2016, 6:41:51 PM5/25/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Xavier Maillard <xav...@maillard.im> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there anybody using gnorb package that would share his settings with me and
> show his workflow ?
>
> I have read the info doc but, still, I do not understand fully how I should
> use all this stuff.

Eric Abrahamsen, the maintainer, often posts on the org-mode mailing
list. You might try there if you don't get a reply here.

--
Nick

Jude DaShiell

May 26, 2016, 1:53:34 AM5/26/16
to Nick Dokos, help-gn...@gnu.org
google org-mode tutorial will provide a wealth of material, if you're a
visual learner even a youtube search will produce useful results too.

Eric Abrahamsen

May 26, 2016, 1:57:08 AM5/26/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Xavier Maillard <xav...@maillard.im> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there anybody using gnorb package that would share his settings with me and
> show his workflow ?
>
> I have read the info doc but, still, I do not understand fully how I should
> use all this stuff.

Hi Xavier!

Sorry, I haven't responded to your github issue yet... A gif or at least
screenshots would be a very good idea!

I assume what you're having trouble with is the email tracking part of
Gnorb. I know it's confusing to explain, and I was aware of that as I
wrote the manual. Others have suggested a screencast, which I will
eventually figure out how to do...

Without knowing what your exact difficulties are, I'll say very briefly:
the core of it is three functions, used in three different modes:

- org-mode: `gnorb-org-handle-mail'
- gnus-summary-mode: `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo'
- message-mode: `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo'

As you've configured below, I like to have the functions bound to the
same key in the different modes, as they're conceptually part of the
same process.

In fact, message-mode and `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo' are the least
important. You only need that if you're starting the tracking process
from a new message, which isn't necessary. And once the process starts,
you'll only use the other two functions.

You start the tracking process either from Org, using
`gnorb-org-handle-mail' on an existing Org heading, or from a received
message in Gnus, using `org-capture' to create a new heading.

After that, it's just ping pong. The Org heading is used to "collect"
both incoming and outgoing messages belonging to the email conversation.
When you get a message that's part of the conversation, you call
`gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo' on it. When you're ready to reply, you
call `gnorb-org-handle-mail' on the Org heading.

There's a bunch more, but that's really it. Use "C-c t" on received
messages in the Gnus, then "C-c t" on the Org heading to send a new
message.

One thing I noticed you haven't bound is `gnorb-org-view' and
`gnorb-gnus-view', which I put on "C-c v" in the respective modes. In
Gnus, it will take you to the Org heading that is associated with the
message. In Org, it will open up a temporary Summary buffer displaying
all the messages associated with the heading.

I've tried to keep that bare bones, I hope it makes a little more sense.
Feel free to ask more questions (and to suggest improvements to the
manual!).

Yours,
Eric