getting the source finding button in c-h f help buffers to work

Samuel Wales

Feb 12, 2016, 12:24:51 PM2/12/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
when you do c-h f, emacs provides a link to the source. i have always
relied on this feature.

in my own code, i have always kept byte-compiled files in a separate
directory from the source. this has never been a problem.

in a recent version of emacs, perhaps a recent emacs 24 minor version,
it seems that c-h f source links no longer work if you keep your
byte-compiled files in a separate directory from the source files.
more specifically, they no longer exist.

what i'd like to do is have them exist again, without having to change
the way i load my byte-compiled files just to get them to exist again.

in other words, i want c-h f to work again, the way it did before the
recent version of emacs.

i do not know why this occurs. i just know that it stopped working.
i did not change anything in my .emacs.

i am using "24.4.1".

thanks.

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

Drew Adams

Feb 12, 2016, 12:43:39 PM2/12/16
to Samuel Wales, help-gn...@gnu.org
> when you do c-h f, emacs provides a link to the source. i have always
> relied on this feature.
>
> in my own code, i have always kept byte-compiled files in a separate
> directory from the source. this has never been a problem.
>
> in a recent version of emacs, perhaps a recent emacs 24 minor version,
> it seems that c-h f source links no longer work if you keep your
> byte-compiled files in a separate directory from the source files.
> more specifically, they no longer exist.
>
> what i'd like to do is have them exist again, without having to change
> the way i load my byte-compiled files just to get them to exist again.
>
> in other words, i want c-h f to work again, the way it did before the
> recent version of emacs.
>
> i do not know why this occurs. i just know that it stopped working.
> i did not change anything in my .emacs.
> i am using "24.4.1".

M-x report-emacs-bug

Emanuel Berg

Feb 12, 2016, 2:16:47 PM2/12/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Samuel Wales <samol...@gmail.com> writes:

> in a recent version of emacs, perhaps a recent emacs
> 24 minor version, it seems that c-h f source links
> no longer work if you keep your byte-compiled files
> in a separate directory from the source files.

This is especially frustrating after setting up an
ambitious Makefile with all the matches and rules to
get the compiled stuff and the source stuff in
different directories, only to discover this neat
organization of things is what actually breaks
the access!

But unlike you I didn't know this ever to work - and
how can it work? For it to work, you must tell Emacs
where the source is. Perhaps you can tell Emacs some
principle where to look - like "the same directory as
the compiled stuff only in a directory called src/ and
not with the .elc extention but .el" - then, you have
to stick to that in you Makefiles, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

to...@tuxteam.de

Feb 12, 2016, 2:50:27 PM2/12/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org

Drew Adams

Feb 12, 2016, 4:18:30 PM2/12/16
to to...@tuxteam.de, help-gn...@gnu.org
> there was a thread about that here a while ago:
>
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-
> 02/threads.html#00004>
>
> The gist is you can set a variable `find-function-C-source-directory'
> to tip Emacs in the right direction.

I think the OP is talking about Lisp source files, not C.
He mentioned byte-compiled files.

to...@tuxteam.de

Feb 13, 2016, 10:52:42 AM2/13/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org

Samuel Wales

Feb 13, 2016, 3:23:49 PM2/13/16
to to...@tuxteam.de, help-gn...@gnu.org
find-function-source-path does not work. it is already supposed to work.

"If this variable is nil then `find-function' searches `load-path' by
default."

also we need variables, not only functions.

why did the functionality stop working?