OS X: M-s and C-s modifiers generate weird keystrokes

Philipp Stephani

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14:04 AM2/27/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi,

I realized that on my OS X system (OS X 10.10.2, GNU Emacs 24.4.1
(x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1344.72)
of 2015-02-23 on p) the key modifiers C, M, s, and C-M work as expected,
but C-s and M-s produce unexpected keys (according to the messages buffer):
C-s-a produces C-s-268632065, and M-s-a produces M-s-å. Is this expected,
or should I report a bug?

Thanks

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Feb 27, 2015, 2:59:46 AM2/27/15
How do you type s- on a MacOSX keyboard?

I use a DasKeyboard 3 keyboard, with "System
Preferences"/"Keyboard"/"Modifier Keys…" set to

Caps Lock -> Control
Control -> Control
Option -> Command
Command -> Option

(there's no Hyper or super choice here);

and consequently, I get the following map to emacs
(http://www.emacsformacosx.com) modifiers:

C- RET
S- S-
C- A- M- SPC M-a A- C-p C-

(notice the C-p bound to the second form the right bottom key, which I
cannot change to anything more useful).

Philipp Stephani

Feb 28, 2015, 1:36:51 AM2/28/15
to Pascal J. Bourguignon, help-gn...@gnu.org
Pascal J. Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com> schrieb am Fri Feb 27 2015 at
09:00:21:

> Philipp Stephani <p.ste...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I realized that on my OS X system (OS X 10.10.2, GNU Emacs 24.4.1
> > (x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1344.72)
> > of 2015-02-23 on p) the key modifiers C, M, s, and C-M work as expected,
> > but C-s and M-s produce unexpected keys (according to the messages
> buffer):
> > C-s-a produces C-s-268632065, and M-s-a produces M-s-å. Is this expected,
> > or should I report a bug?
>

> How do you type s- on a MacOSX keyboard?
>
> I use a DasKeyboard 3 keyboard, with "System
> Preferences"/"Keyboard"/"Modifier Keys…" set to
>
> Caps Lock -> Control
> Control -> Control
> Option -> Command
> Command -> Option
>
> (there's no Hyper or super choice here);
>
> and consequently, I get the following map to emacs
> (http://www.emacsformacosx.com) modifiers:
>

> C- RET
> S- S-
> C- A- M- SPC M-a A- C-p C-
>
> (notice the C-p bound to the second form the right bottom key, which I
> cannot change to anything more useful).

I have a MS Natural ergonomic keyboard with Ctrl mapped to Cmd and Cmd
mapped to Ctrl in System Preferences. The keys on the bottom row are
labelled Ctrl, Windows, Alt, Space, Alt, Menu, Ctrl. OS X maps the first
three to Cmd, Option, Ctrl. With all the customization options in the "ns"
group in Emacs (from Homebrew) being set to their defaults, left and right
Cmd (that is, the keys labelled Ctrl for me) are mapped to Super, Option
(labelled Windows) is mapped to Meta, and Ctrl (labelled Alt) is mapped to
Ctrl. (Here it would be possible to also add mappings for Hyper and Alt.)
For the Option key Emacs seems to merge the bindings of OS X (Option+a = å)
and Emacs (Option = M), but only if the Super modifier is also pressed. No
idea what happens for Super+Ctrl.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Feb 28, 2015, 2:23:50 AM2/28/15
Notice how I carefully configured my keyboard to distinguish A- from M-.

Philipp Stephani

Mar 1, 2015, 11:42:08 AM3/1/15
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Philipp Stephani <p.ste...@gmail.com> schrieb am Fri Feb 27 2015 at
08:13:55:

> Hi,
>
> I realized that on my OS X system (OS X 10.10.2, GNU Emacs 24.4.1
> (x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1344.72)
> of 2015-02-23 on p) the key modifiers C, M, s, and C-M work as expected,
> but C-s and M-s produce unexpected keys (according to the messages buffer):
> C-s-a produces C-s-268632065, and M-s-a produces M-s-å. Is this expected,
> or should I report a bug?
>
> Thanks

Since I don't think this behavior is intentional, I filed bug#19977.