can't access info dir in emacs under msys2

Bostjan Vilfan

Oct 3, 2016, 3:25:30 AM10/3/16
Hello,
I installed 64bit emacs in my Windows 10 computer as described in
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html;
however, I am experiencing difficulties in accessing manuals, other than the emacs manual and the emacs lisp manual (for example, I would like to access the org mode manual). Could someone, please, let me know how to set up emacs so that I can access all manuals in /msys64/mingw64/share/info.
Regards,
bostjanv

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)

Oct 3, 2016, 9:40:03 AM10/3/16
Bostjan Vilfan <bjvi...@gmail.com> 께서 쓰시길,
《記事 全文 <c259728c-5134-41c7...@googlegroups.com>
에서》:
At gnu web site, there are official manual. Because setup manual in
system, it is not easy to MS-Windows users. Just you would be visiting
gnu web site, then check out emacs manual. In my case Google is my
friend^^

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Bostjan Vilfan

Oct 3, 2016, 11:40:08 AM10/3/16
Hello,
If I understand you correctly, you are referring me to the emacs manual. But that is exactly my problem. Nothing in the manual seems to work. For example, the manual says that the main info directory may be supplied with the environment variable INFOPATH. Doesn't work. Whatever value I give it, the only info manuals I am able to display are the emacs manual and the emacs lisp manual. Then there is the customizable variable Info-default-directory-list, which also does not seem to work. So I hope I have described the problem sufficiently.
Regards,
bostjanv

Javier

Oct 7, 2016, 2:28:05 PM10/7/16
> however, I am experiencing difficulties in accessing manuals, other
> than the emacs manual and the emacs lisp manual (for example, I
> would like to access the org mode manual). Could someone, please,
> let me know how to set up emacs so that I can access all manuals in
> /msys64/mingw64/share/info.

adding this to .emacs should solve it

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/msys64/mingw64/share/info")

Another pesky detail is that there needs to exist a file named 'dir' in
each of the info directories /msys64/mingw64/share/info/dir and
the org-mode manual needs to be listed in the file.

Then hit C-h i and you should see a list of all installed manuals.

Since some manuals are not included in distros (or the distros put
them in the wrong place) you can keep a private info dir with the
manuals that interest you.

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/MY_OWN_INFO_DIR")

and add an entry for each manual in ~/MY_OWN_INFO_DIR/dir
The format of the file is very picky on capitalization.
Mine is

This is the file .../info/dir, which contains the
topmost node of the Info hierarchy, called (dir)Top.
The first time you invoke Info you start off looking at this node.
^_
File: dir, Node: Top This is the top of the INFO tree

This (the Directory node) gives a menu of major topics.
Typing "q" exits, "?" lists all Info commands, "d" returns here,
"h" gives a primer for first-timers,
"mEmacs<Return>" visits the Emacs manual, etc.

In Emacs, you can click mouse button 2 on a menu item or cross reference
to select it.

* Menu:

Python
* Python-3.3: (python-3.3). The Python Documentation
* Python-2.7: (python-2.7). The Python Documentation
* numpy-1.8.0: (numpy-1.8.0). Numpy for python2
* scipy-0.13.3: (scipy-0.13.3). Scipy for python2
* sphinx: (sphinx). Sphinx 1.1.3 Doc

LANGS
* perldoc-all: (perldoc-all). perldoc

MISC