trying to turn cursor blinking off

Davin Pearson

May 28, 2016, 10:38:53 PM5/28/16

I entered the following command:

(blink-cursor-mode -1)

but it doesn't turn cursor blinking off.

What gives?

Emanuel Berg

May 29, 2016, 2:03:45 AM5/29/16
Yeah, Emacs can't set that in all contexts.

Do you run a Unix system?

If so, do you run the GUI version, or do you
run it with -nw (or a -nox binary) in
a terminal emulator (e.g., xterm)?

Or do you run it in a Linux VT ("the console"
or ttys)?

Or do you run it in another way still?

It should always work in the GUI version tho
I don't have it so I can't/don't want to verify
that. (But it is doable in the xterm and VTs as
well, for sure.)

By the way, the help (in this case `C-h f') is
your friend:

This command [`blink-cursor-mode'] is
effective only on graphical frames.
On text-only terminals, cursor blinking is
controlled by the terminal.

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -

Davin Pearson

May 30, 2016, 7:02:05 PM5/30/16
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 6:03:45 PM UTC+12, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Davin Pearson writes:
>
> > I entered the following command:
> >
> > (blink-cursor-mode -1)
> >
> > but it doesn't turn cursor blinking off.
> >
> > What gives?
>
> Yeah, Emacs can't set that in all contexts.
>
> Do you run a Unix system?
>
> If so, do you run the GUI version, or do you
> run it with -nw (or a -nox binary) in
> a terminal emulator (e.g., xterm)?
>
> Or do you run it in a Linux VT ("the console"
> or ttys)?
>
> Or do you run it in another way still?
>
> It should always work in the GUI version tho
> I don't have it so I can't/don't want to verify
> that. (But it is doable in the xterm and VTs as
> well, for sure.)
>
> By the way, the help (in this case `C-h f') is
> your friend:
>
> This command [`blink-cursor-mode'] is
> effective only on graphical frames.
> On text-only terminals, cursor blinking is
> controlled by the terminal.

Yes I am running Emacs version 23.1.1 on
a GUI version, so cursor blinking should really
be turned off when you enter the command:

(blink-cursor-mode -1)

Eli Zaretskii

Jun 4, 2016, 5:33:13 AM6/4/16
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 19:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Davin Pearson <davin....@gmail.com>
>
> I entered the following command:
>
> (blink-cursor-mode -1)
>
> but it doesn't turn cursor blinking off.

It does here.

Alex Kost

Jun 4, 2016, 8:26:41 AM6/4/16
to Davin Pearson, help-gn...@gnu.org
Davin Pearson (2016-05-29 05:38 +0300) wrote:

> I entered the following command:
>
> (blink-cursor-mode -1)
>
> but it doesn't turn cursor blinking off.

As Eli said it does, so I wonder how did you "enter" this command?

Try to evaluate it now by: "M-: (blink-cursor-mode -1)"

Did you put it into your ".emacs"? If so, are you sure that your emacs
config was loaded successfully?

--
Alex

Davin Pearson

Jun 4, 2016, 10:45:07 PM6/4/16
to Alex Kost, help-gn...@gnu.org
Executing "M-: (blink-cursor-mode -1)" doesn't turn the cursor
blinking off. Is it something to do with which version of Emacs
that I am running, which is 23.1.1.

--
Sincerely and kindest regards, Davin.
Davin Pearson http://davin.50webs.com

Alex Kost

Jun 5, 2016, 4:28:21 AM6/5/16
Davin Pearson (2016-06-05 05:45 +0300) wrote:

> Executing  "M-: (blink-cursor-mode -1)" doesn't turn the cursor
> blinking off.  Is it something to do with which version of Emacs
> that I am running, which is 23.1.1.

Although it's an ancient version (I recommend to upgrade :-)),
blink-cursor-mode should work there anyway.

Did you try with "emacs -Q"?

--
Alex

Davin Pearson

Jun 5, 2016, 4:40:42 AM6/5/16
to Alex Kost, help-gn...@gnu.org
Yes and guess what: It works!

so there must be a bug somewhere in my code.

I dread having to do a binary search on my code to find the bug.

Marcin Borkowski

Jun 5, 2016, 6:48:59 AM6/5/16
to Davin Pearson, Alex Kost, help-gn...@gnu.org

On 2016-06-05, at 10:40, Davin Pearson <davin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dread having to do a binary search on my code to find the bug.

Would this help?

https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

Davin Pearson

Jun 5, 2016, 7:01:35 PM6/5/16
to Marcin Borkowski, Alex Kost, help-gn...@gnu.org
I found the bug pretty quickly actually.