Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

How do I install gnus cvs?

0 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Rodolfo Medina

não lida,
7 de fev. de 2006, 10:48:1807/02/2006
para
Hi, everybody.

I followed the steps described at

http://www.gnus.org/distribution.html

and downloaded the cvs gnus directory.
But there is no README nor INSTALL file.
How shall I install cvs gnus on my system?
With the usual './configure', 'make' and 'make install' trilogy?
And how shall I tell emacs to use the freshly installed cvs gnus
instead of the one already present in my emacs installation?

Thanks in advance for any reply,
Rodolfo

Bastien

não lida,
7 de fev. de 2006, 10:54:4707/02/2006
para
"Rodolfo Medina" <romeo...@libero.it> writes:

> How shall I install cvs gnus on my system?
> With the usual './configure', 'make' and 'make install' trilogy?

Yes.

> And how shall I tell emacs to use the freshly installed cvs gnus
> instead of the one already present in my emacs installation?

Add this to your load-path:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/install/gnus/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/install/gnus/contrib/")

replacing ~/install/ with the relevant cvs directory.

--
Bastien

Robert D. Crawford

não lida,
7 de fev. de 2006, 11:17:2107/02/2006
para
Bastien <bas...@xxx.fr> writes:

> "Rodolfo Medina" <romeo...@libero.it> writes:
>
>> How shall I install cvs gnus on my system? With the usual
>> './configure', 'make' and 'make install' trilogy?
>
> Yes.

Are the instructions for cvs different than those from the other
packages? In the readme file from both gnus and ngnus, IIRC, it says
that under no circumstances are you to use make install. If the system
breaks after doing a make install and we ask why, I think we are
threatened with instant death.

Did I miss the memo?

rdc

--
<=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=>
Robert D. Crawford rd...@comcast.net

Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.
<=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=>

Bastien

não lida,
7 de fev. de 2006, 11:21:2007/02/2006
para
"Robert D. Crawford" <rd...@comcast.net> writes:

> Are the instructions for cvs different than those from the other
> packages?

I should have mentionned that you just need to do ./configure && make
and then add the new gnus to your load-path...

--
Bastien

Rodolfo Medina

não lida,
8 de fev. de 2006, 05:58:0008/02/2006
para
> Add this to your load-path:
>

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/install/gnus/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/install/gnus/contrib/")
>

> replacing ~/install/ with the relevant cvs directory.

Thanks.
But how do I know what the relevant cvs directory will be?

Rodolfo

Bastien

não lida,
8 de fev. de 2006, 07:13:1208/02/2006
para
"Rodolfo Medina" <romeo...@libero.it> writes:

> But how do I know what the relevant cvs directory will be?

Where did you download Gnus CVS ?

--
Bastien

Rodolfo Medina

não lida,
8 de fev. de 2006, 10:03:2008/02/2006
para

Bastien wrote:

> Where did you download Gnus CVS ?

In my home directory.
Rodolfo

rodolfo...@gmail.com

não lida,
10 de fev. de 2006, 06:42:1310/02/2006
para
I put the whole gnus cvs directory in my home directory, and there I
did:

./configure && make

, then in my .emacs I put:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus/lisp") load-path))
(require 'gnus-load)

(require 'info)
(setq Info-default-directory-list
(cons "~/gnus/texi" Info-default-directory-list))

. Then I started emacs, started gnus, did 'M-x gnus-version'
and it says: 'No Gnus v0.4'.
Is that normal? Why 'No Gnus' instead of 'Gnus'?

Rodolfo

David Z Maze

não lida,
10 de fev. de 2006, 11:01:0510/02/2006
para
rodolfo...@gmail.com writes:

> . Then I started emacs, started gnus, did 'M-x gnus-version'
> and it says: 'No Gnus v0.4'.
> Is that normal? Why 'No Gnus' instead of 'Gnus'?

No Gnus is the name of the alpha Gnus release (e.g., CVS) after Oort,
logically enough. Well, maybe not.

Alpha (CVS) --> Beta --> Emacs release
---------------- ---------- -------------
(ding) Gnus --> Gnus 5.0.x --> Gnus 5.1
September Gnus --> Gnus 5.2.x --> Gnus 5.3
Red Gnus --> Gnus 5.4.x --> Gnus 5.5
Quassia Gnus --> Gnus 5.6.x --> Gnus 5.6
Pterodactyl Gnus --> Gnus 5.8.x --> Gnus 5.9
Oort Gnus --> Gnus 5.10.x
No Gnus

There used to be very frequent alpha Gnus releases, e.g. September
Gnus 0.79, but these largely stopped when Gnus started using CVS. So
even though No Gnus has been around for quite a while now the last
"release" of it is No Gnus 0.3 and so the CVS version calls itself No
Gnus 0.4. I think the current plan is that FSF Emacs 22 will ship
with Gnus 5.11, and after that happens No Gnus will become Gnus
5.12.0.

(I don't remember any more what features No Gnus has that aren't in
the latest 5.10 release, or even what release that is. :-)

--dzm

Frank Schmitt

não lida,
10 de fev. de 2006, 16:13:1910/02/2006
para info-gnu...@gnu.org
rodolfo...@gmail.com writes:

> . Then I started emacs, started gnus, did 'M-x gnus-version'
> and it says: 'No Gnus v0.4'.
> Is that normal? Why 'No Gnus' instead of 'Gnus'?

Yes, it's perfectly normal. No Gnus is the code name for the CVS
version. See the FAQ on http://my.gnus.org/FAQ

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

Reiner Steib

não lida,
14 de fev. de 2006, 10:13:4214/02/2006
para info-gnu...@gnu.org

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") ]
`----

> Pterodactyl Gnus --> Gnus 5.8.x --> Gnus 5.9
> Oort Gnus --> Gnus 5.10.x

| Oort Gnus --> Gnus 5.10.x --> Gnus 5.11

> No Gnus

[...]

> I think the current plan is that FSF Emacs 22

s/FSF Emacs/Emacs/, please.

,----[ (info "(efaq)Difference between Emacs and XEmacs") ]
`----

> will ship with Gnus 5.11, and after that happens No Gnus will become
> Gnus 5.12.0.
>
> (I don't remember any more what features No Gnus has that aren't in
> the latest 5.10 release,

See (info "(gnus)No Gnus") or GNUS-NEWS.

> or even what release that is. :-)

5.10.6

Bye, Reiner.
--
,,,
(o o)

Rodolfo Medina

não lida,
4 de ago. de 2006, 10:15:5404/08/2006
para
"Rodolfo Medina" <romeo...@libero.it> writes:

> How shall I install cvs gnus on my system?
> With the usual './configure', 'make' and 'make install' trilogy?
> And how shall I tell emacs to use the freshly installed cvs gnus
> instead of the one already present in my emacs installation?

I worked it out so:

See:
http://www.gnus.org/distribution.html

--------
Download:
--------

download and install emacs cvs;

be sure you have cvs 1.8 or newer installed;

from the '~/' directory (or whatever you want) do:

$ cvs -d :pserver:gn...@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
CVS password: gnus
$ cvs -d :pserver:gn...@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot checkout gnus

A '~/gnus' directory will be created, you can then rename to whatever you want -- like, for instance, pgnus.

------------
Installation:
------------

from '~/gnus' do:

$ ./configure && make

. In .emacs put the following:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus/lisp") load-path))
(require 'gnus-load)

(require 'info)
(setq Info-default-directory-list
(cons "~/gnus/texi" Info-default-directory-list))

*Don't* remove the ~/gnus directory!

------
Update:
------

from the '~/gnus' dir, do:

$ cvs update

Bye,
Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina

não lida,
4 de ago. de 2006, 10:39:1704/08/2006
para
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> How shall I install cvs gnus on my system?
>> With the usual './configure', 'make' and 'make install' trilogy?
>> And how shall I tell emacs to use the freshly installed cvs gnus
>> instead of the one already present in my emacs installation?
>

> I worked it out so:

> See:
> http://www.gnus.org/distribution.html
>

> --------