Status update

David Nielsen

Mar 26, 2012, 3:07:52 PM3/26/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
As there seems to be genuine consensus on the dates I have gone ahead and requested NERD for room. I have also approached the GNOME Board. So this party is officially getting started now.

NERD's response time is 5-7 business days, and we will need to find a backup location in case they decline us. The good news is that NERD is free to use. Someone familiar will Boston might be able to suggest a good one, if not I will start looking online. The GNOME Board should get back to us shortly but does not set a time frame.

The proper wiki page is here:
https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/GNOMEandMonoFestivalofLove2012

So hackers, start your MonoDevelops and get ready to make the world a better place.

- David

Jared Jennings

Mar 26, 2012, 3:21:21 PM3/26/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
What excitement!
-Jared

Udesh Liyanaarachchi

Mar 26, 2012, 3:28:15 PM3/26/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com

Wow it is amazing.. Thanks..!!!

--

Udesh Liyanaarachchi

Aaron Bockover

Mar 26, 2012, 7:42:01 PM3/26/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! That range of dates works for me as well, and I'll cover travel/lodging for myself.

--Aaron

Bertrand Lorentz

Mar 29, 2012, 4:08:42 AM3/29/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone !

Looks like I'll be able to make it and join the fun !

This will be my first time on the American continent (European to the
core...), so be nice !
To make to most of that trip, I'll probably stay some extra time to do
some touristy stuff.

I'll cover travel and lodging for myself, spending my hard earned
euros to boost up the US economy.

--
Bertrand Lorentz

Alan

Mar 29, 2012, 4:38:20 AM3/29/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
Just a heads up - you should apply for your Visa Waiver soon enough if you don't have one. It costs a few euro and should only take a few days to process, but they do officially say it can take a few weeks. I think it allows you to stay for up to 1 month (30 days) without having to get a proper visa.

Alan

Andreia Gaita

Mar 29, 2012, 9:46:26 AM3/29/12
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:38, Alan <alan.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just a heads up - you should apply for your Visa Waiver soon enough if you don't have one. It costs a few euro and should only take a few days to process, but they do officially say it can take a few weeks. I think it allows you to stay for up to 1 month (30 days) without having to get a proper visa.

Up to 3 months, actually :) Just go to http://www.cbp.gov/esta and enter your data (you don't have to fill out the specific travel information if you don't have it, as the visa waiver is valid for 2 years and multiple trips) and cough up the $$$.

Andreia

David Nielsen

Mar 29, 2012, 11:27:57 AM3/29/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
And we have past the half way mark in terms of attendees having reported back. So far only two regrets and Codice Software will be sending one, or more, of their people to work on an extension for MonoDevelop for their Plastic SCM product. Fluendo has so far reacted positively with regards to my request for sponsorship and will get back to me with the exact nature of the help they might provide (which means if it is money, I will have to figure out how to wangle that).

Still haven't heard any definitive go/no-go from these people, so if you happen to see them around please poke them.

It would be helpful if people who are attending would also give a shot in the dark as to what they will be working on.

I have put myself on the attendee list but since I am better at breaking code than writing it, I feel a bit awkward asking for 1600$ to cover flights. I am sure you people can have fun and herd yourselves without me if we get short on money, I would rather we get more capable hackers going than me.

On the todo list is still finding a backup venue and sorting out the remaining sponsor requests. What is the correct channel to go through for asking Xamarin for this, oh mighty minions of the great Miguel?

- David

Alan

Mar 29, 2012, 2:41:05 PM3/29/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
Both Miguel and Bojan Rajkovic (new hire at Xamarin) said they'd be around for this too.

Alan

Michael Hutchinson

Mar 29, 2012, 2:59:42 PM3/29/12
On 29 March 2012 11:27, David Nielsen <gnom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And we have past the half way mark in terms of attendees having reported
> back. So far only two regrets and Codice Software will be sending one, or
> more, of their people to work on an extension for MonoDevelop for their
> Plastic SCM product. Fluendo has so far reacted positively with regards to
> my request for sponsorship and will get back to me with the exact nature of
> the help they might provide (which means if it is money, I will have to
> figure out how to wangle that).
>
> Still haven't heard any definitive go/no-go from these people, so if you
> happen to see them around please poke them.
> Mike Hutchinson - m.j.hut...@gmail.com

I'm in.

--
Michael Hutchinson
http://mjhutchinson.com

olivier dufour

Mar 30, 2012, 4:43:00 PM3/30/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I will be not among you for different reasons:
- wife pregnant
- new job and so no paid holliday for that
- boston is far so need money that I have not currently
- my wife authorize only one geek trip by year and I have been at fosdem ;-)

So, have fun, enjoy this hackfest but I will not been there.

cheers,
Olivier Dufour

Jared

Apr 9, 2012, 9:17:59 AM4/9/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
David,
How are we doing for location? Is that still undetermined?
Also should we be arriving Monday night or Tuesday?

Jared

gnom...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2012, 11:37:47 AM4/9/12
to gnome-mon...@googlegroups.com
2012/4/9, Jared <jaredlj...@gmail.com>:

i haven't heard back from NERD nor from GNOME yet, likely the decision
is delayed due to easter. I am spending Easter with my family in law
and here the only Internet access is an extremely slow phone so work
on the hackfest is limited to checking mail till next Monday.

I think either arrival will work, I am personally planning on arriving
early Tuesday so I can be at NERD no later than lunchtime. I think it
might be helpful to kick things off with some food and getting to know
each other before submerging into awesome.