Do doesn't (it just sits there on my desktop)

jps2012

Apr 5, 2012, 6:02:05 PM4/5/12
to GNOME Do
I downloaded and installed Do via the Software Center. It launches,
but I don't see any possible interactivity other than having it find
the names of files on my OS (Ubuntu 11.04). I'm wondering if there's
some kind of documentation that shows how to use it (or if it's
possibly corrupt, since it doesn't seem to launch programs, allow me
to manage my side panel or otherwise Do something).

Mitchel Humpherys

Apr 6, 2012, 5:46:53 PM4/6/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com

I've never had issues making Do do stuff... Reinstall?

Christopher James Halse Rogers

Apr 9, 2012, 1:31:59 AM4/9/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com

Hm. There is a bit of a problem with initial discoverability in Do;
it's something that I'm thinking about how to solve on and off.

Out of the box, Do should at least index your applications, offer a
bunch of session actions (suspend, log out, restart, shutdown), offer to
create tinyurls, index your Tomboy notes, and a couple more things. Many
more options are available as plugins - go to Preferences and you'll see
a bunch of plugins available to enable.

These plugins have some documentation - click the “About” button to get
it. I'm in the process of moving this documentation offline so it can
be installed with the packages.

signature.asc

Robert Dyer

Apr 9, 2012, 1:46:44 AM4/9/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com

One thing that may help is if Do provided some 'help' actions.

Imagine if I can type 'help' and the default match is 'Help Using Do'
and the text below says 'Press TAB, then DOWN for more help' or
something. Or make it even easier and have it show the results window
by default which eliminates having to teach them to down arrow (that
would be discoverable, I think).

Then of course we have more actions, which are basically like chapters
in the documentation and if they run one it pops up the relevant
chapter in the gnome help browser (or whatever).