Can't get video to play Ubuntu Linux 8.04

m...@jesush8sme.com

Jan 2, 2009, 11:44:18 PM1/2/09
to gmote users
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and am having trouble getting video to play.
VLC is installed and in the correct path per the help files but it
just doesn't seem to work. PDF files and the Image viewer are working
great, music plays but with no GUI (I'm not as concerned with that but
did notice it). Has anyone else run into this type of thing and found
a solution? I also verified I am running Java 1.6 update 10 and VLC
media player 0.8.6e.

m...@jesush8sme.com

Jan 3, 2009, 12:08:36 AM1/3/09
to gmote users
I also wanted to add this error log I get when I try and run in the
terminal:

INFO: Received command: Command: RUN

Exception in thread "MediaRunner" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
Error looking up function 'libvlc_media_new': /usr/lib/libvlc.so.0:
undefined symbol: libvlc_media_new
at com.sun.jna.Function.<init>(Function.java:129)
at com.sun.jna.NativeLibrary.getFunction(NativeLibrary.java:232)
at com.sun.jna.Library$Handler.invoke(Library.java:191)
at com.sun.jna.Native$2.invoke(Native.java:613)
at $Proxy0.libvlc_media_new(Unknown Source)
at org.videolan.jvlc.MediaDescriptor.<init>(MediaDescriptor.java:50)
at org.gmote.server.media.vlc.VlcMediaPlayer.runMovie
(VlcMediaPlayer.java:189)
at org.gmote.server.media.vlc.VlcMediaPlayer.runFile
(VlcMediaPlayer.java:169)
at org.gmote.server.GmoteServer$MediaRunner.run(GmoteServer.java:308)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Jan 2, 2009 10:04:12 PM org.gmote.server.GmoteServer handleReceiveData
INFO: Sent reply to client

Mimi Sun

Jan 3, 2009, 3:36:41 AM1/3/09
to gmote...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Gmote only works with VLC 0.9*. Please update your VLC player and see if that fixes the problem.

- Mimi

m...@jesush8sme.com

Jan 3, 2009, 9:13:13 AM1/3/09
to gmote users
Hello,

I had taken a look on VideoLan's site and noticed a new version but
with the instructions they have there my system keeps telling me I
have the newest version. But that helps me a lot, I will keep trying
to get that installed.

Thank you!

bazs...@googlemail.com

Jan 6, 2009, 8:42:17 PM1/6/09
to gmote users
I have the same problem. After hours of searching i cant get 0.9 to
show up in synaptics. Even though it apperently ships with my ubuntu.
Im running ubuntu studio 8.10. I tried the instable stuff which is
version 1.??? but wont install due to unresolved dependencys. There
was a a post about a bug that stopped synaptics installing from third
party sources but the command doesnt work for me

sudo update-apt-xapian-index

which just says command not found

So i found it in synaptics and let it do its thing, nope vlc still 0.8

bazs...@googlemail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 6:20:20 AM1/7/09
to gmote users
I managed to get vlc 0.9 installed following instructions from this
page.

I dont know if this will work for your version of ubuntu, im running
ubuntu studio 64 bit which i believe is 8.10

I addedd

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/c-korn/ubuntu hardy main

to my sources list, a few updates popped up and vlc was now 0.9.

Video works great, i now get album art on my phone when i play songs,
though when playing music, no VLC player showing on computer.