[GMCnet] Microwave location - cooktop exhaust fan

1 view

Ken Harland

Jan 17, 2017, 3:53:55 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Now that I'm back to working on my coach, I moving forward on ideas I had from the beginning. I want to remove the stove/oven and replace with a two
burner cooktop but instead of putting the microwave below the cooktop which I believe both the wife and I will hate, I am considering putting it in
the cabinet that presently houses the fan/light assembly.

I'm sure someone has already done this so my question is what did you do about the exhaust fan? We never have cooked much in our RVs and I don't
expect that to change but I do cook breakfast most days and that includes frying bacon.

And please pass along suggestions for two burner cooktops while you're at it.

TIA,
Ken
--
1978 Eleganza II

Jeremy

Jan 17, 2017, 4:33:33 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Set your fantastic fans to exhaust and they will change the air over in a GMC in no time. One of the first things I took out, in search of more
storage, was the exhaust fan. Of course I also have no propane, so I don't have to worry about fumes accumulating (though how the exhaust fan would
help with that I'm not real sure). But we cook bacon and everything else in the coach. We just set all the fans to exhaust and let it get sucked out.
--
Thanks,
Jeremy Knezek

poww...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 6:51:20 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
This upgrade has been done many times. Here is how we did it:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3022-interior-restoration.html
and
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3972-kitchen-vent-hood.html

Believe me that your wife does NOT want to be on her knees to look into a microwave.

Regards,

J.R. Wright
GMC GreatLaker
Newsletter Editor/Publisher
Tech Editor
78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
75 Avion Under Reconstruction
Michigan

Ken Harland

Jan 17, 2017, 7:39:54 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
powwerjon wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 18:50
> This upgrade has been done many times. Here is how we did it:
>
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3022-interior-restoration.html
> and
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3972-kitchen-vent-hood.html
>
> Believe me that your wife does NOT want to be on her knees to look into a microwave.
>
> Regards,
>
> J.R. Wright
> GMC GreatLaker
> Newsletter Editor/Publisher
> Tech Editor
> 78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
> 75 Avion Under Reconstruction
> Michigan

Thanks! Was there a thread discussing it, I'd like more info on your exhaust fan.

John R. Lebetski

Jan 17, 2017, 8:05:58 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Lots of undercabinet microwaves have buit in exhaust hoods that can vent out the back. They also have dimable lighting. This solves both issues of
venting the cooktop and providing lighting. You just sacrifice 12V opperation.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

Jerry Burt

Jan 17, 2017, 9:35:24 PM1/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
powwerjon wrote on Tue, 17 January 2017 15:50
> This upgrade has been done many times. Here is how we did it:
>
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3022-interior-restoration.html
> and
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3972-kitchen-vent-hood.html
>
> Believe me that your wife does NOT want to be on her knees to look into a microwave.
>
> Regards,
>
> J.R. Wright
> GMC GreatLaker
> Newsletter Editor/Publisher
> Tech Editor
> 78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
> 75 Avion Under Reconstruction
> Michigan

How did you handle the venting of heat from the convection MW? Is it enough to just leave an air space or did you vent it to the outside? TIA
--
Patti & Jerry Burt
73 Gmc 26' Canyon Lands -

John Heslinga

Jan 18, 2017, 1:17:59 AM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken:
Here is the way I did my Microwave Install above the stove. Look through the entire album to get an idea what I did. For some reason I cannot find
the photo directly on to the finished job but I will find it or take another in the spring (Things are in storage)

The photos should give you some ideas as you tackle your own project. Good Luck.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g7014-microwave-above-stove.html
--
John and Cathie Heslinga
1974 Canyonlands 260

Johnny Bridges

Jan 18, 2017, 10:16:44 AM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
My 23' has the microwave hanging under the cabinet over the sink. The exhaust fan works just fine beside it and over the stove. I took the (huge)
Dometic microwave out of the 26' when it failed, and put a cheeeep Haier ($40) in its place. The plan is to build a shelf for the smaller unit and a
plenum under it for a stove top exhaust hood. There's already a vent behind it in the outer wall. Then I'll take some plywood with a matching veneer
and close up the opening with a curout for the front of the Haier microwave. Sometime this year I hope. Meantimes, as sonmeone said, set both fans
top exhaust and even without a vent, cooking odors and such vacate the coach very quickly.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Terry

Jan 18, 2017, 10:30:18 AM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The built-in induction cooktops were prohibitively expense when I shopped for one a couple of years ago, so I just replaced the entire counter top and
got a couple of portable induction cooktops to fulfill my non-microwave cooking needs and we can store them in the cabinet space created by removing
the oven. If we need an oven we have the NuWave infrared/convection oven that also gets stored in that space when not in use. You can get a pair of
the NuWave portable induction cooktops for about $120 online last time I checked. Cheaper than that at Wal-Mart on the right day. Then you have the
whole counter for use when you're not cooking, which is most of the time for me. In fact the only thing I have cooked so far was some TV dinners in
the nuke and coffee.
I put the nuke in the compartment above the drawers, just needed a little spacer underneath to raise the door over the height of the fiddle. I
screwed it down from underneath so it stays put during exciting driving conditions.
--
Terry Kelpien

ASE Master Technician

Smithfield, Va.

Sean Kidd

Jan 18, 2017, 12:55:55 PM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/data/6156/medium/DSC03304.JPG
I used an over the range microwave an created a plenum behind to "duct" fumes out original opening

--
Sean and Stephanie
73 Ex-CanyonLands 26' #317 "Oliver"

Colonial Travelers

Rob Mueller

Jan 18, 2017, 4:25:35 PM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
G'day,

Look what I stumbled on!

https://camec.com/major-appliances/rangehoods/camec-12v-flush-mount-range-ho
od.html

And

https://camec.com/major-appliances/rangehoods/camec-rangehood-12v-2-speed.ht
ml

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Rob Mueller

Jan 18, 2017, 5:18:39 PM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We vented the heat generated when using the Convection oven mode out the top and back to the inside. The actually time that you really use the convection function is very, very small. In our first coach which the pictures were from we used the convection feature maybe 2 to3 times a year. As for the vent under the convection/microwave over the 2 burner stove that is a 12VDC Bronan RV vent hood with lights that I modified to fit under the MW/Conv unit and above the 2 burner. The vent fan uses the same vent path that the stock vent hood did.

J.R. Wright
GMC GreatLaker
Newsletter Editor/Publisher
Tech Editor
78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
75 Avion Under Reconstruction
Michigan

Jerry Burt

Jan 18, 2017, 8:09:18 PM1/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
powwerjon wrote on Wed, 18 January 2017 14:17
> We vented the heat generated when using the Convection oven mode out the top and back to the inside. The actually time that you really use the
> convection function is very, very small. In our first coach which the pictures were from we used the convection feature maybe 2 to3 times a year.
> As for the vent under the convection/microwave over the 2 burner stove that is a 12VDC Bronan RV vent hood with lights that I modified to fit under
> the MW/Conv unit and above the 2 burner. The vent fan uses the same vent path that the stock vent hood did.
>

> J.R. Wright
> GMC GreatLaker
> Newsletter Editor/Publisher
> Tech Editor
> 78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
> 75 Avion Under Reconstruction
> Michigan

Thanks for the info. Looking at the installations others have provided, it looks fairly simple to adapt the original vent system to exhaust the heat.
My current plan is to mount a convection MW over the stove area and eliminate the stove-top/oven. Similar to SeanKidd's installation only without the
burners.

John Heslinga

Jan 19, 2017, 12:18:22 AM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken:

Ive updated the photo site with 4 more photos showing the completed project.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/microwave-above-stove/p62075-full-view-microwave-stove.html
--
John and Cathie Heslinga
1974 Canyonlands 260
455, Manny tranny and 1 ton, 3:70 LS,
Red Seal Journeyman, DTE, BEd. MEd.
Edmonton, Alberta

Johnny Bridges

Jan 19, 2017, 9:12:30 AM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks. That's the way I propose mine to end up.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Jim Wagner

Jan 19, 2017, 9:32:40 AM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
This is how I solved the microwave location problem

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3832-microwave-lift.html

Jim Wagner
Brook Park, oh
1976 GMC500
1971 Vega355
1969 Corvette383

Steve Jess

Jan 19, 2017, 3:41:24 PM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
John,

With your microwave installation I'd be worried about heat buildup in back -- especially for longer cooking jobs. That's why built-in microwaves usually exhaust to air the front. Have you had any problems with that?

Steve Jess - Tucson, AZ
Mid-day/PM newscaster
Arizona Public Media

________________________________
Jan 19, 2017, 9:53:29 PM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Jim Wagner wrote on Thu, 19 January 2017 09:31
> This is how I solved the microwave location problem
>
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g3832-microwave-lift.html
>
> Jim Wagner
> Brook Park, oh
> 1976 GMC500
> 1971 Vega355
> 1969 Corvette383

Thanks Jim, that's very creative but I'm hoping to gain the storage space from removing the oven.

powwerjon wrote on Wed, 18 January 2017 17:17
> We vented the heat generated when using the Convection oven mode out the top and back to the inside. The actually time that you really use the
> convection function is very, very small. In our first coach which the pictures were from we used the convection feature maybe 2 to3 times a year.
> As for the vent under the convection/microwave over the 2 burner stove that is a 12VDC Bronan RV vent hood with lights that I modified to fit under
> the MW/Conv unit and above the 2 burner. The vent fan uses the same vent path that the stock vent hood did.
>

> J.R. Wright
> GMC GreatLaker
> Newsletter Editor/Publisher
> Tech Editor
> 78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
> 75 Avion Under Reconstruction
> Michigan

Thanks, that's a great idea.

--
1978 Eleganza II

John Heslinga

Jan 19, 2017, 11:19:11 PM1/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Steve:

While it does not show, The rear of the Upper cabinet is open, allowing the microwave to vent into the cabin of the coach. I cannot say I've had a
problem with heat build up, because Ive never noticed or looked closely for a problem. The Cabinet is not tight against the wall so there is a lot of
space for venting. I could place a nice looking grills rather than the solid panels that are in the face plate to solve those problems if needed.
I purposely did not place grills in the lower panels under the cabinet to avoid stove heat from going up into the cabinet, but they could be grills
too.

Hope that helps.
--
John and Cathie Heslinga
1974 Canyonlands 260
455, Manny tranny and 1 ton, 3:70 LS,
Red Seal Journeyman, DTE, BEd. MEd.
Edmonton, Alberta

Steve Jess

Jan 20, 2017, 12:27:52 AM1/20/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

Thanks for the info. BTW I happen to have the twin of.your microwave, except it's labeled Emerson and has a handle on the door.
________________________________
USAussie wrote on Wed, 18 January 2017 16:24
> G'day,
>
> Look what I stumbled on!
>
> https://camec.com/major-appliances/rangehoods/camec-12v-flush-mount-range-ho
> od.html
>
> And
>
> https://camec.com/major-appliances/rangehoods/camec-rangehood-12v-2-speed.ht
> ml
>
> Regards,
> Rob M.
> The Pedantic Mechanic
> USAussie - Downunder
> AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
> USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
> USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

I like that second one, a bit pricey but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

--
1978 Eleganza II