[GMCnet] Front brake part #'s

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 26, 2020, 10:08:10 PM4/26/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Anyone have the NAPA part numbers handy for stock size front brake calipers and rotors? They don't list motorhome brakes anymore :cry: (they are the
closest retailer to me)
--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 12:14:55 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Same as the 76 Olds TORONADO
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 12:16:05 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
I believe you might need to return a core,

James Hupy via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 12:53:41 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
The calipers are not an issue. But, the front rotors are unique to the
motorhome. The bolt spacing on the rotors is not the same as a Toronado.
There are rotors available that have been redrilled to fit the coach,
Applied GMC has them available. There may be other GMC vendors out there
that carry them as well.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 6:16:28 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Thanks Jim

Dave King via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 10:22:57 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave King
Rich M, Jim K is correct that for stock calipers the pads are the same aa a Toronado and the rotor
is sort of the same. You will either need to drill the rotor and get it from a GMCMH supplier as the
car rotor is drilled for 5 wheel studs and the motorhome uses 8 wheel studs.
--
DAVE KING
lurker, wannabe

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 11:02:31 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Not only re drill the holes. but increase the center bore.
Again you can see that the mfg do not want to inventory slow moving parts.
We stock them.

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 11:09:44 AM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Oh, You will need to pull the bearings off the hub.
There are some sharp people that can do it without the special tool, but
the reason for the tool is that it must grab the botton of the bearing to
pull off.
Best you call me so I can explain it .
There are lot of other things one need to know , that is why I offer to
assist.
Learned this from older and wiser men bach in 1980.

Dave King via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 12:26:09 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave King
Rich M., to take the hub apart requires a specialized tool. I have a brand new Tom Warner bearing tool in Toronto.
I would consider loaning it to you with a significant deposit. I don't think I want to sell it.
It's probably NOT a tool you can get on a tool loan program.
Google "how to remove GMC Motorhome front brake rotors. I'm not sure if the procedure is the same for a
Toronado but it could be.

DAVE KING
--
DAVE KING
lurker, wannabe

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 12:35:32 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Toronado is slightly different as the rotor is attached to the hub like
regular cars. Been a long time since I did one,

Emery Stora via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 1:16:16 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Dave
I loaned my Warner tool to a GMC owner who was a stranger to me. No deposit. I gave him a demonstration before giving it to him. After repeated requests, It was over 4 months before I got it back. He had incorrectly used the seal setting disc to push out the bearing and bent the rim of the aluminum disc. He had also lost the cap for the end of the threaded rod and ruined the point on the rod
I pointed out the damages to him in an email but there was no offer to replace or repair the parts and I never heard back from him.

I will never loan out that tool again.
Be sure you get a large enough deposit to replace the whole kit just in case you never get it back. Also provide detailed WRITTEN instructions.

Good luck.

Emery Stora
77 Kingsley
Frederick, CO

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Dave King via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> Rich M., to take the hub apart requires a specialized tool. I have a brand new Tom Warner bearing tool in Toronto.

James Hupy via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 1:30:48 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
The only way I loan my bearing tools, is if I come with them as part of the
deal. Owner can pull the hubs and clean up all the nasty grease, I use the
tools, reassemble the bearings, and clean the tools, put them in the
carrier and that way, I get the stuff back in usable condition.
It is like the old saying, poor fences make for poor neighbors.
I have been burned too many times loaning my stuff out. Sounds a bit
selfish, I guess, but those are custom made tools, and unique to that
particular task. I am not sure if the set that I have is even made anymore.
It was made by a guy named Toma, if memory serves me correctly. He is long
since departed.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 5:04:24 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
We learned the hard way also, so we require a deposit. charge $350 deposit
on their card first.
When they ask , why so much I explain.
I have lost over 2,000 with tools loaning it to Friends, so now EVERYONE
get a deposit.

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 6:11:06 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
JimK....i got the seals from you last time i was out there (im not a fool, i know you do your home work)

Dave, not to worry...i am a license Canadian mechanic and have done hundreds of wheel bearings over the 30 years i was on the bench. I appreciate the
offer and might take you up on it. As a mechanic i hate borrowing tools though and i can assure you that if i end up borrowing it you will get it back
exactly as you gave it to me.

Just have to dig into all this a little further....once i have the wheels off i'll know more but from what i saw yesterday through the wheel holes the
rotor surfaces are not pretty :(

Dave King via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 6:20:21 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave King
Rich, see if you can find a video on the web as the front hub assembly
On a Gmcmh is most likely something you have never seen before. I think it is unique
To the GMC motoRhome
--
DAVE KING
lurker, wannabe

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 6:44:15 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
I've actually read alot on how to do it and also have read the service manual. It's not much different that any other pressed on bearing with the
exception of the seal design. Having worked for a GM dealership early on in my career and then Honda plus others, including a vintage vehicle
restoration shop i can assure you i've done something very similar before.

NOTE: All 1990's Honda Accords had the rotors behind the hub....to say i have pulled a few hubs is an understatement and i'd be willing to bet no one
has ever seen the size of slide hammer we needed to use.....lol.

BTW...the tool is just a basically the same version of the bearing puller we used to pull the pinion bearings off any GM differentials at GM.

kingd wrote on Mon, 27 April 2020 18:19

--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 6:46:51 PM4/27/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
I may even replace the bearings as well....whats another few dollars when your in that deep already.

Billy Massey via Gmclist

Apr 27, 2020, 10:11:54 PM4/27/20
to GMCnet, Billy Massey
This tool continues making the rounds to this day.

http://www.bdub.net/bearingtool/

bdub

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 28, 2020, 8:42:57 AM4/28/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
It's a shame that a few GMCers piss in the creek we all swim in. However, requiring a deposit is a necessity to protect a valuable asset. Those who
make their living with hand tools and assemblies as a rule never lend them. I understand this - a day late coming home might well mean missing a
paying job. Unless you're local (or a friend of many years) I don't lend out my scope or meters or soldering/crimping tools. And I'm retired anyway.
Which means I now got to check on a loaner which was passed with permission of the owner to another GMCer to make sure it made it home.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Apr 28, 2020, 9:53:02 AM4/28/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
We have had people get ill or pass away and never get the tool back.
I have a coach where the customer owe $7,000 and passed away.
Rather have the cash then to wait for month to sell.

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Apr 28, 2020, 12:35:02 PM4/28/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Yup that was my policy as well and still is BUT if someone is willing to lend me a very rare or expensive tool i will treat it like gold as anyone who
has worked with tools alot knows....."if its gonna break, its gonna break when you borrow it"....kinda like snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats etc...

Hell if the tool was still available and realistically price i'd buy it myself to keep in the coach....just in case.

Johnny Bridges wrote on Tue, 28 April 2020 08:42

--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Les Burt via Gmclist

Apr 28, 2020, 2:42:45 PM4/28/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Les Burt
I have a personal policy on borrowing tools. If I can’t afford or justify buying the tool myself, I can’t afford to borrow one either.

I’ve been caught in the past where I borrowed tools that were in a “well-used” condition. Upon use, these same tools would occasionally fail or become further damaged. Even though the tool owner was advised of tool condition prior to use, I’ve always returned borrowed tools in equal or better condition than I recieved them. This has occasionally resulted in the purchase of 2 new tools, one to replace the broken tool, and one for myself.

A point often overlooked is what it costs to have someone else do a job requiring special tools. It often costs more than the price of the tool alone. In my case, skills are not often a limiting factor, only tool availability, so purchasing the tool still saves me $$, and I have the satisfaction of doing the job myself.

Les Burt
Montreal
'75 Eleganza 26'