[GMCnet] "The Motorhome's" new home is almost ready

RJW via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 2:56:08 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
We are progressing along (finally) with "the Motorhome's" new garage. Framing is done and so is the siding and trim. I still need to insulate,
drywall and paint the walls and ceiling.

I'd like to epoxy the floor when done with those jobs.

However, I just had a guy over to talk about epoxy coatings (~880 square feet)and he ball parked it at $8/square foot for his deluxe package. He's
sending me a quote, but I pretty sure I won't be spending $7,000 for the floor. I could buy another GMC or 2 for that.

I am thinking of buying a kit online and doing it myself. Hopefully for a fraction of the $7,000 price.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to coat the floor would be durable enough for the jobs planned for our GMC.
--
Richard
76 Palm Beach

Coop Roller Cam 455, Howell TBI + EBL, 3.42 FD, Quadra Bag, Macerator, Lenzi stuff, Manny Tranny etc.

Emery Stora via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:13:46 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
I did my garage and workshop with RustOleum Epoxyshield from Home Depot. It has held up well now for 5 years.
Do a small area at a time. The areas will blend well. It is a two part system. If you mix too much it will cure before you get it down. DON’T USE IT IF IS HAS STARTED TO THICKEN. It won’t level and it stays gummy. You have to take it off with mineral spirits and do that section over.

Easy to apply with a paint roller.

Emery Stora
77 Kingsley
Frederick, CO

> On Mar 12, 2019, at 2:55 PM, RJW via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> We are progressing along (finally) with "the Motorhome's" new garage. Framing is done and so is the siding and trim. I still need to insulate,
> drywall and paint the walls and ceiling.
>
> I'd like to epoxy the floor when done with those jobs.
>
> However, I just had a guy over to talk about epoxy coatings (~880 square feet)and he ball parked it at $8/square foot for his deluxe package. He's
> sending me a quote, but I pretty sure I won't be spending $7,000 for the floor. I could buy another GMC or 2 for that.
>
> I am thinking of buying a kit online and doing it myself. Hopefully for a fraction of the $7,000 price.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on what to coat the floor would be durable enough for the jobs planned for our GMC.
> --
> Richard
> 76 Palm Beach

James Hupy via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:14:36 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
For that kind of money, Persian carpet comes to mind. There are several 2
part floor coatings out there. Real 2 part epoxies are nasty stuff to
handle until they are fully cured. I have never used any of the water based
products. Try Googling Eastwood, or California Car Covering, or Griot's
Garage, they all have on-line catalogs that list shop floor coatings.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019, 11:56 AM RJW via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

Dolph Santorine via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:17:02 PM3/12/19
to GMC List, Dolph Santorine
We have used Seal Krete 1-Part that we get from Lowes

The five gallon pail covers about 1,200 sq ft. (they make rather outlandish claims in their literature for how much it covers)

Again, prep is everything.

Dolph

DE AD0LF

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 26’ ex-PalmBeach
Howell EFI & EBL, Reaction Arms, Sullybilt Bags, Manny Transmission

“The Aluminum and Fiberglass Mistress"

Michael Beam via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:43:42 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Michael Beam
When I had my shop built 15 years ago the concrete guys worked the slab too early and created a soft top layer and drying fracture/cracks. I contacted the guy at Epoxy.com and he set me up with specific epoxy types for the different issues. To this day my floor has held up fantastic with no flaking or cracks.

Michael Beam via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:49:49 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Michael Beam
Also you probably should do a moisture test because your floor is so new.

Sent from my iPad

James Hupy via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:50:14 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
If you truly want a "Garage Mahal", one of the GMC CASCADERS that lives in
Kelowna, B.C. does shop interiors that defy all reason and common sense.
His name is Dan Borlase.

Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Dave Stragand via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 3:57:13 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave Stragand
Porcelain tile, often seen in automotive dealerships, is an awesome and durable surface. It also looks incredible. Going on box store clearance prices can make it less than $1 a sq ft.

Billy Massey via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 4:44:08 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Billy Massey
Talk to Blaine and Diane.

bdub

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:56 PM RJW via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>
wrote:

> We are progressing along (finally) with "the Motorhome's" new garage.
> Framing is done and so is the siding and trim. I still need to insulate,
> drywall and paint the walls and ceiling.
>
> I'd like to epoxy the floor when done with those jobs.
>
> However, I just had a guy over to talk about epoxy coatings (~880 square
> feet)and he ball parked it at $8/square foot for his deluxe package. He's
> sending me a quote, but I pretty sure I won't be spending $7,000 for the
> floor. I could buy another GMC or 2 for that.
>
> I am thinking of buying a kit online and doing it myself. Hopefully for a
> fraction of the $7,000 price.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on what to coat the floor would be durable
> enough for the jobs planned for our GMC.

Kingsley Coach via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 5:30:50 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Kingsley Coach
Michael
Would you mind putting some info on yourself in a sig file attached to your
email. The GMC you have and where you are located will do but anything more
is helpful..like options on thee GMC. Have you signed up on the Black List?

Thanks

Mike in NS
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

Dave Stragand via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 6:14:36 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave Stragand
The link didn't go through: https://allgaragefloors.com/porcelain-tile-garage-floor/

Do your own research on Google and you may be amazed. Porcelain (not ceramic) tile's more durable and usually less expensive than the liquid coatings.

-Dave
1978 Transmode near Pittsburgh

Mar 12, 2019, 7:44:48 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Matt Colie
Richard,

Are you going to bring pictures to lunch??

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan

Bruce Hart via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 10:12:30 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hart
Eighteen years ago when we moved into our new home it was recommended to me
to what was referred to as a concrete stain.
That is exactly what it does. Dirt from the tires, road grim will stain the
coating. Spill a little bit of gasoline and the coating bubbles and
dissolves leaving bare concrete. It was a Sherwin Williams product applied
by an employee.
--
Bruce Hart
1976 Palm Beach

Bruce Hart via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 10:14:09 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hart
I also had a friend of mine use clear Thompson Weather Seal on his concrete
floor in his wood shop and it protected the concrete very well.

Stu Rasmussen (97381.com) via Gmclist

Mar 12, 2019, 11:14:13 PM3/12/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Stu Rasmussen (97381.com)

Not addressed to me but I am curious -

Is there a setting on the GMC list that appends a signature to my
postings or is this referring to the signature lines that are attached
by my email client?

I ask because I am on several email lists and user groups and some
groups allow personalization as a list function. I didn't see that
option on this list's configuration page.

Different lists are interested in different things - one signature
doesn't fit all, and could lead to embarrassment. :>

Stu Rasmussen

at the moment the proud (?) owner of a gutted '74 Eleganza

John Phillips via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 2:10:35 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Phillips
You are on Gmail. Gmail has a command that allows for saving and recalling
strings.
You could save several signatures and recall the one you want.
The "\" is the key to it. I will use mine here. John Phillips
75 Avion VIN A26000
Retired
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
--

*John Phillips*

Guy Lopes via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 2:21:14 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, tawp...@surewest.net
John,

You're in Rancho?! I'm in Elk Grove. We should collaborate on getting a
Sacramento area lunch bunch together!

Guy in Sacramento
1975(ish) 23' RB Birchaven Orion

Mar 13, 2019, 2:26:14 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Phillips
That is the same price I was quoted last week to replace my concrete
driveway.
The best coating I have seen/felt is in ‎Evergreen Aviation Museum
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_Aviation_%26_Space_Museum>.* I
would like to know what they used. I may be more than $8/sq ft. Getting
cheap porcelain tile is a very labor intensive solution.*

*John Phillips75 Avion VIN A26000RetiredRancho Cordova, CA 95670 *

--

*John Phillips*

Mark Sawyer via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 3:02:20 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mark Sawyer
I did an epoxy base coat / 2 part urethane top coat to my shop 10 or so years ago and it's been great. Brakleen and even MEK spills wipe right up
without the coating going with it. Key here is the 2 part urethane top coat. It impervious to a lot of chemicals that will destroy other paints,
including epoxy. Since then I've used the same system on a second workshop and 2 garages with the same result

If you're looking for a showroom finish, the system could also include a high build intermediate coat that could be floated on, but for a shop/ garage
I did not feel it was worth it as it doubled the cost. I ended up adding a second base coat instead as a compromise.

Some tips if you do the install yourself, are to watch your re-coat windows if you go with a multi step process... too early or too late can really
cause issues... A notched squeegee on a stick is also useful to distribute the paint prior to rolling. Also, a proper etch is important if you want
it to stick to the concrete. Depending on the condition of your concrete, another option is to rent a floor buffer with a scotch brite type pad.
Makes short work of prepping a large floor.
--
Mark S. '73 Painted Desert,
Manny 1 Ton Front End,

John Phillips via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 5:41:10 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Phillips
Lunch group in Sacramento would be great.
I am really new at this. I think I am on my second tank of gas.
Right now I have replaced a leaking wheel cylinder. I need to get the brake
shoes on and repack the rear wheel bearings.
John Phillips
75 Avion VIN A26000
Retired
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 7:51:52 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
The concrete flooring guys who did my garage also floated it too early causing loose and flaking sections. When they came back to cut the stress slots
the next morning, they quickly left after they were done and never came back. The concrete subcontractor took up the large loose sections and fixed
it with some concrete patch the ready-mix Engineer provided him with. So I have a number of patches on the floor.

5 years later you can see the cracks around the loose areas. Drop or drag a wrench you can hear the loose areas. I'd like to put down a coating before
the loose pieces start coming up.

I've talked to the local professional guys and yes its expensive. I'll contact that Epoxy.com place mentioned above.

Thanks,
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6483-the-murray-gets-a-home.html

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

Michael Beam via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 10:11:26 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Michael Beam
Bruce
You could scrape up the top layer with a pocket knife on my floor so I had
to rent a concrete scarifier from Home Depot to remove the softest top
layer and prepare it for the epoxy. I did not prestain so my concrete
turned brownish and did not have a consistent color. But I didn’t care. If
you want it to be pretty as well make sure you tell them that as well. They
gave me 12k psi high viscosity epoxy to squeeze between the cracks. Then a
final coat. Sounds like yours may require a little more work. Good luck.

--
North MS
Retired

Stu Rasmussen via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 10:35:39 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Stu Rasmussen

Thanks John,

Maybe that reply wasn't for me?

I use Thunderbird as an SMTP client from our server. It seems to allow
only one signature per address. The gmail option of multiple signatures
sounds great but I'm not willing to give up my independence just yet.

Stu

W7QJ
Silverton, Oregon

On 3/12/2019 11:15 PM, John Phillips via Gmclist wrote:
> You are on Gmail. Gmail has a command that allows for saving and recalling
> strings.
> You could save several signatures and recall the one you want.
> The "\" is the key to it. I will use mine here. John Phillips
> 75 Avion VIN A26000
> Retired
> Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM Stu Rasmussen (97381.com) via Gmclist <
> gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>

>> Not addressed to me but I am curious -
>>
>> Is there a setting on the GMC list that appends a signature to my
>> postings or is this referring to the signature lines that are attached
>> by my email client?
>>
>> I ask because I am on several email lists and user groups and some
>> groups allow personalization as a list function. I didn't see that
>> option on this list's configuration page.
>>
>> Different lists are interested in different things - one signature
>> doesn't fit all, and could lead to embarrassment. :>
>>
>> Stu Rasmussen
>>
>> at the moment the proud (?) owner of a gutted '74 Eleganza

Jon Payne via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 11:47:39 AM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Payne
How about Race Deck flooring? I understand this flooring is extremely durable and very easy to install. I did a quick search and seems for their
basic design pattern prices start under $4/sqft.
--
Jon Payne
76 Palm Beach

RJW via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 2:43:52 PM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
RF_Burns wrote on Wed, 13 March 2019 07:51
> The concrete flooring guys who did my garage also floated it too early causing loose and flaking sections. When they came back to cut the stress
> slots the next morning, they quickly left after they were done and never came back. The concrete subcontractor took up the large loose sections and
> fixed it with some concrete patch the ready-mix Engineer provided him with. So I have a number of patches on the floor.
>
> 5 years later you can see the cracks around the loose areas. Drop or drag a wrench you can hear the loose areas. I'd like to put down a coating
> before the loose pieces start coming up.
>
> I've talked to the local professional guys and yes its expensive. I'll contact that Epoxy.com place mentioned above.
>
> Thanks,
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6483-the-murray-gets-a-home.html

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your concrete floor. I hope my guys did a good job even though they did it at the tail end of the season
(last day in November). I also have radiant tubing in my floor. I had them install "zip strips" instead of saw cuts since I didn't want to take a
chance on the saw cutting a tube. Zip strips were recommend by the radiant heat system vendor.

I hesitate to put pictures of my new garage on the web because it is not much compared to your garage. Also as compared to Chuck's Boyd's as well as
Blaine & Diane's Garage Mahals.

--
Richard
76 Palm Beach
SE Michigan
www.PalmBeachGMC.com

Coop Roller Cam 455, Howell TBI + EBL, 3.42 FD, Quadra Bag, Macerator, Lenzi stuff, Manny Tranny etc.

RJW via Gmclist

Mar 13, 2019, 3:24:03 PM3/13/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
Matt Colie wrote on Tue, 12 March 2019 19:43
> Richard,
>
> Are you going to bring pictures to lunch??
>
> Matt

I will make sure to bring some in my iPad
--
Richard
76 Palm Beach
SE Michigan
www.PalmBeachGMC.com

Coop Roller Cam 455, Howell TBI + EBL, 3.42 FD, Quadra Bag, Macerator, Lenzi stuff, Manny Tranny etc.

Mike via Gmclist

Mar 15, 2019, 12:14:13 PM3/15/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike

[/quote]
I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your concrete floor. I hope my guys did a good job even though they did it at the tail end of the season
(last day in November). I also have radiant tubing in my floor. I had them install "zip strips" instead of saw cuts since I didn't want to take a
chance on the saw cutting a tube. Zip strips were recommend by the radiant heat system vendor.

I hesitate to put pictures of my new garage on the web because it is not much compared to your garage. Also as compared to Chuck's Boyd's as well as
Blaine & Diane's Garage Mahals.

[/quote]

Richard:

I think I mentioned to you that my floor was poured Thanksgiving week of 2006 and it has held up well. You had highs of about 40 and lows of about 30
the day of the pour and for 4 days afterward, so you should be fine. Concrete develops some heat when curing so no need to worry about it going
slightly below freezing at night.

I'll be at the Red Wings game and eon't make the GMC lunch. Can you post the garage photos on your website?

--
Mike K.
'75 PB

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Mar 18, 2019, 11:53:56 AM3/18/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Some years ago we did a basement floor in the homestead with a Sargent's product called 'Marmoplast'. It was a two part in one can coating, you
stirred it a certain number of times and applied it with a coarse brush. The two parts were immiscible, so the result was a speckled coating, the
size of the speckles determined by the number of stirs before it was applied. It was then coated with a unrethane varnish and allowed to set up. We
applied it in 1960, I saw the house a few months ago, that floor still looks good. If I ever decide to do my RV shed's floor I'm going to look for it
or its successor

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

James Hupy via Gmclist

Mar 18, 2019, 12:18:17 PM3/18/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
E.P.A. banned that stuff years ago. Toxins abounded along with airborne
hazards. Anything long lasting and good disappeared about the same time.
It's a long list. M.E.K.P., Nitrocellulose lacquer, caustic soda for hot
tanks, asbestos, and many others. All in the name of "possible contaminant
or carcinogen". Probably all for the best. Emery will know for sure.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Nick Chapekis via Gmclist

Mar 18, 2019, 12:48:38 PM3/18/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Nick Chapekis
Richard -

I have this in my garage: www.swisstrax.com. I chose the Ribtrax, but just a single color. These are snap-together tiles that you can install
yourself. Best improvement I ever made, and very cost-effective compared to a floor finish. Completely hides stains, cracks, etc., and dirt/debris
falls through the openings and never shows. My garage floor always looks beautiful. Water also falls through the openings, so the floor is never
slippery. Every spring I just split the entire floor into two parts, drag each half out of the garage, then sweep/hose down the concrete. While the
concrete is drying, I use my long washing brush to soap and scrub the tiles, then rinse with a hose. Dries in the sun, then slide the two parts back
in and reconnect. If a tile gets damaged, you just replace it. Never have to worry about a finish peeling up, either.

If you're interested, let me know (they pay for referrals!). You are also welcome to come by and see mine. Going on three years now and no issues
whatsoever.
--
Nick Chapekis
Ypsilanti, MI

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Mar 20, 2019, 7:42:51 PM3/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Yeah, we had three hot tanks at the flat motor shop. Two were hydroseal Gunk and the third was a caustic compound for non - ferrous metals. The Gunk
<tm> was nasty stuff, and the caustic was no foolin' dangerous. Tanks were air drive and had an agitating metal basket for the arts.heated to about
150. The EPA would run screaming into the sunset. Now the shops got washing machines.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

RJW via Gmclist

Mar 21, 2019, 1:33:16 PM3/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
nchapekis wrote on Mon, 18 March 2019 12:47
> Richard -
>
> I have this in my garage: www.swisstrax.com. I chose the Ribtrax, but just a single color. These are snap-together tiles that you can install
> yourself. Best improvement I ever made, and very cost-effective compared to a floor finish. Completely hides stains, cracks, etc., and dirt/debris
> falls through the openings and never shows. My garage floor always looks beautiful. Water also falls through the openings, so the floor is never
> slippery. Every spring I just split the entire floor into two parts, drag each half out of the garage, then sweep/hose down the concrete. While the
> concrete is drying, I use my long washing brush to soap and scrub the tiles, then rinse with a hose. Dries in the sun, then slide the two parts
> back in and reconnect. If a tile gets damaged, you just replace it. Never have to worry about a finish peeling up, either.
>
> If you're interested, let me know (they pay for referrals!). You are also welcome to come by and see mine. Going on three years now and no
> issues whatsoever.

Nick,
Sounds like you have a real nice garage. Do you keep your dad's '59 (IIRC) Buick there?

I was surprised to find Swisstrax available at Home Depot and Amazon. I think at ~$5/square foot it might be too pricey for "the Motorhome's" new
digs. There we have almost 900 ft2 to cover. My car garage on the other hand would be good for something like what you have. It's only a 2 1/2 car
garage and has cracks in the floor as well as deep control joints that I would like to hide.

I would like to see your floor sometime.

--
Richard
76 Palm Beach
SE Michigan
www.PalmBeachGMC.com

Coop Roller Cam 455, Howell TBI + EBL, 3.42 FD, Quadra Bag, Macerator, Lenzi stuff, Manny Tranny etc.

Craig Lechowicz via Gmclist

Mar 31, 2019, 12:11:36 PM3/31/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Craig Lechowicz
Richard,
A few years back, I did quite a bit of research on this, because at that time I was giving thought to coating my floor before actually finishing my
garage addition. For various reasons, I didn't go that way, and still haven't done the floor. But, I think what I found out is probably still pretty
good information. There is a website garagejournal.com who's forum gets a ton of posts about garage floor coatings. After reading a lot of those
posts, I've settled on a diy approach from Legacy Industrial (gegacyindustrial.net) that was highly recommended on that forum. One other company came
up a lot, but I thought Legacy was better. They are super diy friendly, have a ton of information on their website, and include phone support on
weekends. At one time, they gave a 10% discount if you were a garage journal.net member, and also have the occasional sale posted there. It's a lot
more expensive than Rustoleum at HomeDepot, and somewhat more expensive than U-Coat-It and CarGuysFlooring (Detroit based vendors). But, I think it's
a better value and a better product. It's not something you want to do every 5 years, and taking the old stuff off, is much more difficult than
putting the right stuff on.

One of the reasons I like them is they don't take shortcuts in their tech articles and recommendations. They say if you want it done right, you have
to grind the floor, and not just prep it with muriatic acid that some companies use. They've worked with Home Depot to make diamond coated prep discs
for their floor sanders rentable in most locations. And, unfortunately for the black and white checkerboard pattern they are hoping for, they said
you need to do the full 3-step process like you would with car paint, with a primer, base coat and clear coat. They assert (and I believe them) if
you want adhesion, lack of pickup, and UV fade resistance. (my lakefront garage has a fair number of windows in it.) it's just what's necessary.

Having said that, they have a newer poly-something coating, (maybe polyurea? instead of the 3 step, two-part epoxy) that they have been promoting in
ads, that I've seen lately. I think it's fewer steps/coats, but maybe pricier. Even if you decide to go with something else, it would be worth
calling their technical # as they'd still probably give you good advice. And if you are going to use them, it would be worth asking them pro's and
con's of the new product vs. the traditional for your particular application. They also offer sealers, which are a cheaper, possibly more durable, but
nowhere near as pretty product unless you polish the concrete before you put them down.

I also looked at some of the RaceDeck and SwissTrax type products, and even bought the SwissTrax sample kit that I still use as an entrance mat. If
you have a showplace garage, I think they'd be great, but If you plan a real, working garage, I don't see it as a good solution. Price-wise it isn't
much different than pro-installed epoxy, but is probably double or more what good diy epoxy costs. Although they say it will, I'm not convinced it
would hold up to floor jacks, and transmission jacks and such rolling on it, and in the case of the SwissTrax, they wouldn't roll smoothly. Also,
with the SwissTrax, if you just wanted it clean, their recommended version has open lattices in it, and you can powerwash it and it drains through the
slats. If you live on a lake, and spill a quart of oil on it, you're spending some frantic time pulling up tiles, wiping up a big mess, putting tiles
down, and probably still having to powerwash it when you finish the project. Less the wiping and washing part, dropping a tiny nut, bolt or Jesus
clip has the same issues. So, I decide life was too short for tiles.

If you want more info, give me a call, or pm me, Craig. (the one you can blame for the radiant heat!)
--
Craig Lechowicz
'77 Kingsley, Waterford, MI

RJW via Gmclist

Apr 1, 2019, 9:42:26 AM4/1/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
Craig Lechowicz wrote on Sun, 31 March 2019 12:09
> Richard,
> A few years back, I did quite a bit of research on this, because at that time I was giving thought to coating my floor before actually finishing
> my garage addition. For various reasons, I didn't go that way, and still haven't done the floor. But, I think what I found out is probably still
> pretty good information. There is a website garagejournal.com who's forum gets a ton of posts about garage floor coatings. After reading a lot of
> those posts, I've settled on a diy approach from Legacy Industrial (gegacyindustrial.net) that was highly recommended on that forum. One other
> company came up a lot, but I thought Legacy was better. They are super diy friendly, have a ton of information on their website, and include phone
> support on weekends. At one time, they gave a 10% discount if you were a garage journal.net member, and also have the occasional sale posted there.
> It's a lot more expensive than Rustoleum at HomeDepot, and somewhat more expensive than U-Coat-It and CarGuysFlooring (Detroit based vendors). But,
> I think it's a better value and a better product. It's not something you want to do every 5 years, and taking the old stuff off, is much more
> difficult than putting the right stuff on.
> roject. Less the wiping and washing part, dropping a tiny nut, bolt or Jesus clip has the same issues. So, I decide life was too short for
> tiles.
> If you want more info, give me a call, or pm me, Craig. (the one you can blame for the radiant heat!)

Craig, Thanks for your comprehensive write up of floor covering options. I have a lot to think about as I close in on the end of the construction
phase being done by the contractor. The initial wiring should be done this week and hopefully final approvals for that and the garage construction
from the city. Then I can get going on the rest of the project (drywall, more wiring, the floor's finish and cabinets and shelving). I'd like to move
in by end of May. Later in the year I will hopefully finish the radiant heat in time for cold weather.

--
Richard
76 Palm Beach
SE Michigan
www.PalmBeachGMC.com

Coop Roller Cam 455, Howell TBI + EBL, 3.42 FD, Quadra Bag, Macerator, Lenzi stuff, Manny Tranny etc.

Craig Lechowicz via Gmclist

Apr 1, 2019, 9:45:53 AM4/1/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Craig Lechowicz
Good Luck, it always takes way longer than you hope it would. Also, autocorrect didn't help me on Legacy's website, it's actually
legacyindustrial.net and not gegacy. Thought I posted that correction earlier, but the interwebbie must have eaten it.

--
Craig Lechowicz
'77 Kingsley, Waterford, MI

RJW via Gmclist

Apr 1, 2019, 6:41:56 PM4/1/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, RJW
Craig Lechowicz wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 09:45
> Good Luck, it always takes way longer than you hope it would. Also, autocorrect didn't help me on Legacy's website, it's actually
> legacyindustrial.net and not gegacy. Thought I posted that correction earlier, but the interwebbie must have eaten it.

We originally thought we would be done with the garage almost 2 years ago, until we got turned down for the permit. Then I procrastinated on putting
together an appeal for the zoning board of appeals. And then the contractor did his procrastinating thing. At any rate, end is in sight.

When I couldn't find gegacy.com, I used DuckDuckGo (my new favorite search engine over google) to search for Legacy Industrial. Got
http://www.legacyindustrial.net/. would it be DuckDuckGoed instead of Googled?

Looks like a good source of info on flooring coatings.