[GMCnet] Rain, rain go away

Richard Denney

Apr 24, 2017, 9:32:09 AM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
So, I'm driving down to Jawja to install a new engine and (hopefully)
transmission to prevent ever having to do it in my driveway, and, as usual,
my driving has attracted a low-pressure system with rain spread over 500
miles.

And I think my Rock Auto wiper motor has fried--dead short to ground. Had
to cut the wire--the bits on the thermal breaker are rusted in place and
eventually that breaker was going to give up the ghost, testing that
circuit every ten or fifteen seconds as it was doing. Gotta find some
RainX.

At least I'm driving through Charlotte today--they are only predicting 3"
of rain. (Sigh)

KenHen tells me it's in the 80's down there, and for the moment at least,
I'm looking forward to that. We might dry out by Bean Station.

But given that I will be there, I'm expecting surprise rain. If any of you
are experiencing drought, I can be persuaded (for a small fee) to drive
through your area.

Rick "truck stops don't carry RainX in the bottle any more" Denney

Thomas Phipps

Apr 24, 2017, 10:57:43 AM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
News showed heavy rain in Bristol yesterday. Enough to stop the scheduled races on Sunday. More today. No rain at Ken's.
We are dry so none heading your way.
See you in Bean Station.
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

James Hupy

Apr 24, 2017, 11:03:43 AM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Here in Oregon, we have had THREE DAYS without rainfall since mid November,
2016. Getting kind of tired of it. If it doesn't dry out soon, I will have
to bale the grass in my lawn after I can cut it, which won't be any time
this week. It is very green here.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Marsh Wilkes

Apr 24, 2017, 11:27:22 AM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Rick,

Long time no see.
Are You going to Ken's to do the engine?
If I had time I would run up there and help, but I'm working harder than
ever now.
I am getting Miss Smokey back on the road soon, after an 8 year hiatus.
Very long story but I had to give up the Smokey project, Smokey is a storage
building
now. I did finish the aluminum floor however and it added a lot of rigidity,
with the body supported
at the 4 corners, I could remove the support from a front corner with only a
little over an inch
deflection as I recall.
Miss Smokey may not look like much, but she is going to go, stop and turn.
I am installing the 3.70 that Jim brought me at the Marion rally where I
last saw you.
I am going with in tank fuel pumps.
I already have 1 rear stabilizer bar, may go with 2.
I am going with Jim's drum reaction arms, I don’t need disc.
I am going with Jim's hydro boost system but using an electric pump.
I am going to find some sticky tires, everybody should do that, age out is
much more of a problem than tread wear anyway.
I think I can make Her stop like a car, we'll see.
To me brakes have always been the biggest downfall of a GMC!
Damn, seems like old times!

Marsh "Getten Miss Smokey back on the road again" Wilkes

---
http://www.avg.com

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 24, 2017, 12:18:40 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Rick, didja hit the Georgia line yet? Gimme a shout if you're gonna make exit 129 (Ga hiway 53) and we can do lunch/brunch/coffee/whatever at the
Cracker Barrel off to the right of the intersection.

--johnny

404-seven25-five160
seven70- 96five-sixty-one 20

--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Matt Colie

Apr 24, 2017, 12:37:16 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Marsh Wilkes wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 11:26

--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Still Loving OE Rear Drum Brakes with Applied Control Arms

Richard Denney

Apr 24, 2017, 2:50:40 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny, we are stopped (1:30) for coffee in Statesville NC. We might aim
for that exit for dinner and boondocking, and brave the Atlanta loop
towards Americus on a fresh set of nerves.

The RainX is working and being thoroughly tested, but it's nervy sharing a
rainy superslab with all these trucks. The coffee isn't helping, ha!

Rick "pressing on" Denney

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 24, 2017, 3:51:34 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
That's gonna put you here around 5P.... which is the WRONG time to aim South to ATL. There are two options, both WalMarts. If you hang a right on Ga
53, and go past I 985 - about ten miles, all four lane - there's a WalMart in Oakwood on your left. Or, go two exits further South To Hamilton Mill
Road, go right, and there's a Walmart on the left at the first light - maybe two blocks. I know folks RON there, I dunno the Oakwood one. Either
way, gimme a shout or reply here where where you've alit. I've a dog class from 7:30 till 8:30. Hit by 5:30, shout or reply here, we'll drop by on
the way to class. If you run past about 5:30, we'll visit afterwards. I'd put you in my yard except with the rain, you'll bog to the frame.
Your options for Atlanta are after about 8P in the evening, or early out and before 6A tomorrow. Although you're tracking the perimeter, it's packed
due to the missing interstate.

Good places to eat in walking distance of both walmarts. Oakwood, there's a Chinese joint abutting the parking lot, or walk up to the main road and
look to your right - every chain joint known to man. Hamilton Mill, the strip center at the main road and the turnoff to Walmart has two good
jopints, one Oriental and one Mexican.

==johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

James Hupy

Apr 24, 2017, 4:27:30 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Let me see? What part of camping is staying in Walmart parking lots? Things
must be a lot different in Georgia as compared to here. Don't you have rest
stops on your interstates there? I don't know, I have never been there,
but, the way you describe it, it doesn't have much appeal to us
Oregonians. We are busy organizing a "Covered Bridge Rally" on the first
Weekend in May. There are at least 55 covered bridges in Western Oregon, a
few more on the East side of the Cascades. It is way green here, and it
isn't all moss growing on our coaches, either.
Jim Hupy

On Apr 24, 2017 12:51 PM, "Johnny Bridges via Gmclist" <

D C _Mac_ Macdonald

Apr 24, 2017, 4:41:44 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
In more than just a few states, there are laws that prohibit "camping" in the rest areas. It just ain't really safe!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ D C "Mac" Macdonald ~ ~~
~ ~ Amateur Radio - K2GKK ~ ~
~ ~ Since 30 November '53 ~ ~
~ ~ USAF and FAA, Retired ~ ~
~ Member GMCMI and Classics ~
~ ~ ~ Oklahoma City, OK ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ ~ "The Money Pit" ~ ~ ~~
~ ~ ~ ~ TZE166V101966 ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ '76 ex-Palm Beach ~ ~ ~
~~ k2gkk + hotmail dot com ~~
~ www.gmcmhphotos.com/okclb ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
______________
|[ ]~~~[][ ][]\
"--OO--[]---O-"

________________________________
Apr 24, 2017, 4:49:24 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We're at a rest stop MP 25 or so in SC; just leaving. We won't make it by
5:30. We'll stay there at the Cracker Barrel tonight.

Rick "no need to find a Walmart" Denney

Richard Denney

Apr 24, 2017, 4:53:35 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
CrackerBarrel allows overnight parking. We aren't camping--we are
traveling. :)

The nearest state I can think of that provides RV parking at rest stops is
Ohio, and then only on the Ohio Turnpike. Wrong direction, heh.

Rick "better than finding some KOA Hell that charges 40 bucks just for 10
hours of parking" Denney

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 24, 2017, 4:53:38 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Jim, if it doesn't appeal, we won't be looking for you.

For those who're looking to camp, Don Carter park, or any of the fed parks on the lake are nice.

However, for those looking to crash for a bit and then hit out past the traffic, the WalMart is convenient and easy... and the price is right.

Yall have a good time chasing the covered bridges. Here's 11 local ones:

https://www.google.com/search?q=covered+bridges+in+georgia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=covered+bridges+in+georgia&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=33390872,-83812855,98430&tbm=lcl&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

A.

Apr 24, 2017, 5:21:13 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Richard Denney wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 15:52
> CrackerBarrel allows overnight parking. We aren't camping--we are
> traveling. :)
> The nearest state I can think of that provides RV parking at rest stops is Ohio, and then only on the Ohio Turnpike. Wrong direction, heh.
>
> Rick "better than finding some KOA Hell that charges 40 bucks just for 10 hours of parking" Denney
Ignorant question, but can't RVs overnight in travel centers like Love's?
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

James Hupy

Apr 24, 2017, 6:13:08 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny, that was a ligitimate question. We have never been to Georgia. Your
description didn't sound like what we enjoy with our coaches here on the
West Coast. A bunch of us traveled from near Portland, Oregon, East to
Michigan, then retraced the old route 66 back to California, then back
North to Oregon. But we have not traveled to what we call the deep South.
We really enjoyed that 66 trip. Just looking for incentive to make another
one East. No offense intended.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

jesse farr

Apr 24, 2017, 6:16:25 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Well, we now know who to blame. Next time just leave the rain at home. <g>

jofarr, soddy daisy tn,
74 & 76 26' and 78 28'

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 24, 2017, 6:17:10 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I have but they tend towards noisy.

--johnny

--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Richard Denney

Apr 24, 2017, 7:28:18 PM4/24/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I always make the distinction between "getting there" and "being there".
Cracker Barrel works for the former--two predictably good meals and an
authorized place to park. It's better than Walmart, but you can't run a
generator or put out an awning.

As Cracker Barrels go, this one's pretty nice. And it's all the better that
we seem to have left the rain behind. A good 400-mile day, only 350 of it
in rain.

Sorry, Jesse--I didn't realize the Jaws rain Attractor would reach all the
way to Soddy Daisy.

Rick "Americus by mid-afternoon, barring the unforeseen" Denney

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 25, 2017, 12:28:52 PM4/25/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I enjoyed 'sevenses' (well, actually, 8:30s) with the Denneys last evening at Chez Cracker Barrel down the street from my place. Their coach is a
good example of what can be done with the interior of a 23'. After some discussion, we determined her Dad's airplane was a Beech Debonair, and that
Ch Oz was a good looking BWD. Plus, they get to go to Henderson's in the dry today.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Richard Denney

Apr 26, 2017, 7:03:05 AM4/26/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
''Twas a Musketeer, but we had to go through the entire Beechcraft output
to remind ourselves of that, didn't we? We are now installed at Henderson's
Garage, a place of deep GMC-optimized envy, and lovely warm hospitality. We
have pulled the intake and distributor to put on the new engine to run it
in this morning. George Zhookoff has joined the fun and the time to get
greasy has arrived.

Rick "my kind of vacation" Denney

Richard Denney

May 15, 2017, 3:44:04 PM5/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Update on the wiper:

Turns out, the wiper switch has two spade connectors that are connected
together, one of which is used to supply power to the switch and wiper. The
other one is unused, bot hot.

My switch was rotated in such a way as to bring that unused hot spade lug
close to the headlight switch next door (actually, "above" in the picture
below--the photo site turned the picture sideways). When I turned off the
wiper at a rest stop, the whole switch rotated slightly, and it made
contact. That dead short caused the thermal breaker to break.

Ken saw the issue looking through the windshield when I was fiddling with
it in the driver's seat. He crimped a cord in a spade connector "so you
don't lose it WHEN you drop it" to cover and protect that unused lug. It's
the one buried on the right, which is now at the bottom of the switch. I
pulled the switch and reoriented it in addition to installing the
protector.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/misc/p63111-electric-wiper-switch.html

I also enlarged the hole around the knob using a Dremel, which removes the
recessed section and allows me to install the knob firmly without
interference from the plastic instrument panel. I did the same with the
headlight switch, so I can remove the panel without removing those knobs.

Motor was fine, switch was fine, and the intermittent function of the
push-to-wash was also resolved.

By the way, only O'Reilly's and Carquest list the motor--Advance and
Autozone no longer do. I did not check NAPA.

Rick "works like a charm now" Denney

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:30 AM Richard Denney <rwde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I think my Rock Auto wiper motor has fried--dead short to ground. Had
> to cut the wire--the bits on the thermal breaker are rusted in place and
> eventually that breaker was going to give up the ghost, testing that
> circuit every ten or fifteen seconds as it was doing. Gotta find some
> RainX.
>

> --
'73 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia
rick at rickdenney dot com

Richard Denney

May 15, 2017, 4:15:17 PM5/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Billy, what happened to the edit button on the photos page? I can't find
the edit button to edit the text of the photo.

Rick "who didn't write the text with the expectation that the photo would
be rotated" Denney

Ken Henderson

May 15, 2017, 4:36:22 PM5/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
It's not likely that I'll ever be able to eliminate all the "gotchas" from
the electric wiper kit (nor anything else in human activities). But,
future shipments of the switch will have either a connector or a bit of
heat-shrink tubing on that hot terminal so maybe no one else will become
Rickasized in a downpour like he did.

Ken H.
Americus, GA
'76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, etc., etc., etc.
www.gmcwipersetc.com