[GMCnet] Howel EFI

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 12:03:20 AM6/16/20
to GMC List, Keith V
what is the difference between the Howel EFI for the 455 and the 403?
Is it more than programming?

Thanks
Keith
1975 Royale
MicroLevel

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 12:41:12 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
It is the program in the EBL that we put in when we send them out,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:03 PM Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>
wrote:
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 12:47:24 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
If you select only what Howell supplies, you will not see improvement .
Our complete unit comes with Electronic distributor and harness to it and
also the Knock sensor, And the ECM that has the Flash

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 7:49:36 AM6/16/20
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
Just the programming.

Ken H.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 8:14:42 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Harness and wiring is identical for both engines?

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 10:40:37 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Johnny Bridges
Cool I'm looking at buying a used system but it's for the 403 and I have a 455. Maybe it's worth it?
________________________________
Jun 16, 2020, 10:52:26 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Maybe worth it. Does it have the EBL add on? Is it set up for the computer controlled distributor?

Emery Stora

> On Jun 16, 2020, at 8:40 AM, Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> Cool I'm looking at buying a used system but it's for the 403 and I have a 455. Maybe it's worth it?

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 11:08:52 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Call me so you do not get something that will not do the job.
Not trying to sell you anything but keeping you from purchasing something
you do not understand.
Emery and tons of others that know me will ba ck me up.
So call.

James Hupy via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 11:32:36 AM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
Keith, as someone who has installed several Howell systems, both EBL and
non-EBL varieties, there is such a vast improvement with the EBL system,
that my advice would be to pass up the Howell system if it does not have
the EBL.
Differences are ignition timing control and infinite tunability via
laptop. Lots of really, really knowledgeable people out there to help you,
including Jim K.
But, I know the low price is very attractive when comparing new vs used,
but this is one of those when you get what you pay for. But I can't spend
your money, only help you with decision making.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

John Phillips via Gmclist

Jun 16, 2020, 4:04:45 PM6/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Phillips
Jim, what do you charge to convert from carb to your full system. I have a
455 in Sacramento.
--

*John Phillips*

Jon Roche via Gmclist

Jun 17, 2020, 10:45:44 AM6/17/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
I thought the howell system is basically a base system of the EBL. you can swap out the EBL and had the harness wires for the other features of the
EBL?

don't they mainly use a holly TBI unit, and it is just a harness that would have the different add-ons such as knock sensor, and distributor control
added in?

so if he can get a howell system at a good price, he can jump up to an ebl system from there fairly easy? I know keith has the ability to add wires
to a harness- I have seen his air system he makes as well as his rat rod.

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

Bill Van Vlack via Gmclist

Jun 17, 2020, 3:47:59 PM6/17/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bill Van Vlack
You're correct, Jon. He can send his 1227747 ECM to DynamicEFI and have it modified to add the EBL. Then buy a pin crimp tool for the ECM connectors
and add harness conductors for spark control per the standard 1227747 GM ECM. Then get a base 403 or 455 BIN from the GMCMH-EFI site and flash it.

Might be easier to find a TB and harness and have DynamicEFI provide the ECM with EBL.

There were some fuel pressure issues with some Howell TBs... Best to check/ask the GMCMH-EFI site for info.

I'm not familiar with how Howell modifies the programming chip in the 1227747. I'm guessing they solder in a chip adapter and burn a custom chip. You
may be able to have them reprogram it for your engine if you don't want to go the EBL route.

--
Bill Van Vlack
'76 Royale; Guemes Island, Washington; Twin bed, full (DS) side bath, Brazilian Redwood counter and settee tops,455, 6KW generator; new owner a/o mid

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Jun 17, 2020, 5:49:40 PM6/17/20
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Jon Roche
In the "good price" calculation, one should remember the $350 for the EBL
and the cost of adding the additional wiring and sensors and computer
controlled distributor.

Ken H.

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 17, 2020, 5:58:35 PM6/17/20
to GMC Mail List, Keith V, Ken Henderson, Jon Roche
EBL is $400 if you send them an ECU, but they will sell you already with RBL for $450, seems like a deal to me.
Looking at the little bit of the board they show it's got some big chips on it. I'd bet theres a processor, memory and a whole lotta magic smoke
________________________________
Jun 17, 2020, 6:19:56 PM6/17/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
You must load it with a program.we have it as we sell the EBL for GMC MH
493/455
I can supply ready to go for $430
Your call if your smarter than most.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:58 PM Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 18, 2020, 12:27:58 PM6/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V
I doubt I'm smarter than most, but I will call 🙂
I'm just starting to collect parts.
I'm kinda weird and like things my way. After a few tries it ends up like everyone elses LOL
Jun 18, 2020, 1:18:50 PM6/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bill Van Vlack
You can add customizable digital (Windows PC) gauges for the EBL with http://winlog-ebl.org/. Download http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog.htm to see
how the gauge creation software works, then download the EBL driver from the WinLog-EBL site. PM me for more info.