[GMCnet] Tequilla's 1-Ton Suspension

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 19, 2019, 8:19:59 PM10/19/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
I just stumbled across this album:
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6085-1-ton-suspension.html

I'm really curious about how that upgrade is performing, but I've been
unable to find a name for "tequilla". If anyone knows him, please ask him
to contact me directly if he wants to remain anonymous -- or post here if
not.

Ken H.

Dolph Santorine via Gmclist

Oct 19, 2019, 9:39:38 PM10/19/19
to GMC List, Dolph Santorine
That’s a nice piece of work.

Preserving the stock lower control arm is a real plus.

It’s a lot more than “plug and play”, though, and looks like it would stay in alignment nicely.

Dolph

DE AD0LF

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 26’ ex-PalmBeach
Howell EFI & EBL, Reaction Arms, Manny Transmission

“The Aluminum and Fiberglass Mistress"

Hal StClair via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 1:16:48 AM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Hal StClair
I've been working on this myself but have been looking at using the LCA also. The lowers are a real problem as the forward end of the arm lands right
about where the cross member is. It might be possible yet with a little re engineering of the cross member but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
It would open up being able to use the TB's from an awful lot of trucks out there with little effort. We'll see...
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1975 Eleganza II, 101230,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout,

Rio Rancho, NM

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 7:40:07 AM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
I had posted a link to his camber change graph in a thread back in about 2015. At that time I posted that I didn't know who he was, but no one
mentioned anything more in that thread either.

From his other photos, he appears to be a member of the 49er's.

I'd like to hear how it turned out as well.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

James Hupy via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 12:57:21 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
If you are talking about "bowtie mad" he is a Western States and Sugarro
Jetsetter, Steve Ferguson. Long time member. Bright guy. Friend. He was at
7-feathers Rally this month.
Jim Hupy
Salem,Oregon

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 1:41:28 PM10/20/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
I'd no idea Steve did that. I'm surprised at the different nickname
because he was never reluctant to share his projects under "botiemad".

Ken H.

Mike via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 1:53:56 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike
Jim: I don't believe Steve is who Ken is looking for. It from a search it appears "tiquilla" is from Canada, has a black over blue 26 footer with the
new windows with small openings at bottom and Rob Mueller helped him install new cabinets in it.

James Hupy wrote on Sun, 20 October 2019 12:59
--
Mike K.
'75 PB

James Hupy via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 1:58:27 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
O.K. I was going by the bowtie handle. Never seen Tequila that I can
remember.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 10:53 AM Mike via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>

Mike via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 2:44:09 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike
Appears "tequilla is Bill Wevers and email is gmc1975 at att dot net.

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 5:22:02 PM10/20/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
Thanks. I've sent an off-net inquiry.

Ken H.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 2:44 PM Mike via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>

Hal StClair via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 6:11:47 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Hal StClair
Be sure to update us when you hear back from him Ken. I'm very interested in how it worked.
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1975 Eleganza II, 101230,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout,

Rio Rancho, NM

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 8:56:34 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
Hi Bill,
In this case we are talking about suspensions so TB must mean Torsion Bars.

Now if we were talking about Fuel Injection, TB would be Throttle Bodies.
:roll:

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada
77PB, 455 Dick P. rebuilt, DynamicEFI EBL EFI & ESC.1 ton front end
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=29001
My Staff says I never listen to them, or something like that

Hal StClair via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 11:08:13 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Hal StClair
Bill Van Vlack wrote on Sun, 20 October 2019 22:32
> Hal StClair wrote on Sun, 20 October 2019 00:15
> > It would open up being able to use the TB's from an awful lot of trucks out there with little effort. We'll see...
> > Hal
>
> Hi Hal,
> What's a TB?

Sorry,I should probably be more specific and not use abbreviations. TB = Torsion Bar, LCR = Lower control arm.
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1975 Eleganza II, 101230,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout,

Rio Rancho, NM

Jon Roche via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 11:30:49 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
is this basically the same thing that Bob Drewes did on his coach(now Keith/Kim Weeks coach). If I remember way back- it worked out well, but the
accuracy needed in the mounting/welding of the brackets to the frame was not something one could easily mass replicate.
--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 12:10:36 PM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
If you ever end up in the same place as Bob Dunahugh, let some of his driver friends try the coach out. They favored the original over the 'manny'
one ton front end. With relocated control arms, they might like this one ton better.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

John Wright via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 7:20:42 PM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Wright
To all:

Bob Drews and Dave Lenzi worked on the modified A arms. As far as I know Bob was the only one who actually built them, and they would be on Kim Weeks coach if he actually installed them. I sat thru the seminar that Bob did and his comments as I remember were that the attachment points on the chassis are not all created equal, depending on who was welding the front suspension parts to the chassis. There was a discussion of a Jig arrangement to position the mounting points. I do not remember any handouts and I looked in my files and came up empty so far.

J.R. Wright
GMC Great Laker MHC
GMCGL Tech Editor
GMC Eastern States Charter Member
GMCMI
78 GMC Buskirk 29.5’ Stretch
75 GMC Avion (Under Reconstruction)
Michigan

Bill Wevers via Gmclist

Oct 26, 2019, 8:47:11 PM10/26/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bill Wevers
Hello Ken,
Tequilla, that would be me. My reason for modifying the front end was that my coach wandered,
and did not go straight and required constant steering corrections with the One-Ton front end.
I thought if I copied the upper control arm geometry from the K2500/3500 Suburban, it would track better.

The short answer is that it now tracks straight and is not affected much by crosswinds or when
the body rolls when going through turns. But it was a lot of work.

I started by making mounting plates from 3/16" hot rolled steel and temporarily bolting them in place
before welding them to the frame. I made temporary bolt-on plates to check the alignment.
The temporary plates were tack welded to the old upper control arm mounting brackets.
Basically it involved cutting off the old upper mounting brackets and welding on new ones.

That solved the camber change problem. But then I encountered a toe-change problem.
The new geometry caused the front suspension to toe-in when braking. This is because the
GMC Motorhome tie rod is lower than the K2500 tie-rod location. To remedy this problem,
I installed a Speedway Motors bump steer kit to lower the tierod ends 5/8".
No more toe-in under braking.

But I now have Heim Joints and Chrysler adjusting sleeves instead of tierod ends.
I would describe the handling as "it wants to go straight", feels like more under-steer in turns.
And the body roll does not cause it to steer into the turn. Feels like a driving a Suburban.

So far no problems in 3 years.
Regards, Bill

--
Bill Wevers GMC49ers, GMC Western States
1975 Glenbrook - Manny Powerdrive, OneTon

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 26, 2019, 9:15:08 PM10/26/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Bill Wevers
Bill,

Thanks a bunch for your detailed reply. While I'm not unhappy with my
1-Ton's steering, I do wish I had the energy, equipment, and, mostly,
skills, to do what you've done. Looking at your album, it's obviously not
something that can easily be "kit-ized". Too bad.

I'm sure many others were glad to get your report.

Ken H.