[GMCnet] Fuel stabilizer or not?

mtb8114--- via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 3:19:42 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, mtb...@gmail.com
Hi All
So we completed our 3000 mile maiden voyage home (Glacier National Park to south Alabama) with our newly acquired Avion. Did not have a single issue
with the power train. Actually only real issue we had was having to replace ball joints in Missoula and poor alignment which made for very crappy
steering and tracking.

Now that I'm home I need a break from this beast and was wondering best way to set it up for partial storage. I'll be starting it up and driving for
about 40 minutes once a month. I don't expect to Ill try and work on it until after the new year.

So I'm thinking full tank of ethanol free gas and a stabilizer?

Any other recommendations?

Any stabilizer recommendations?

Thanks
Mike B
--
M Beam
75’ Avion

John R. Lebetski via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 3:23:40 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John R. Lebetski
No stabilizer for me. Keep it under 9 months before adding fresh fuel. Never a problem with E10. I store below 1/4 tank.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

James Hupy via Gmclist

Oct 20, 2019, 3:51:14 PM10/20/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
Fuel Stabilizer? If it makes you feel secure, then use it if you choose to.
Keep the tanks FULL, and no alcohol fuel is what I would prefer to fill
with.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 9:07:06 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
40 minutes a month will get it up to operating temperature and stir everything around properly. Fill it after the 40 minute ride and park it.
Nothing else required. Stabilizer won't hurt anything but I don't think it's necessary in the reported incidence.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Jon Roche via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 11:17:57 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
We store way too many items for way too long up here in MN. I always store with full gas tanks, and use sta-bil fuel stabilizer. have not
bothered with non-oxygenated ethonal free gas in 9 years of GMC ownership/winter storage, because of cost and hassle of making sure that last tank is
ethonal free. I do only run ethonal free/stabil gas in all my small engine stuff(less then 5 gallon capacity).

Some people will dis-agree with me on keeping a full gas in storage. but my experience tells me that having a gull tank is the best, especially with
metal gas tanks. (if your gas tank is plastic, drain them out). I would rather clean out a varish/bad gas in an old gas tank, then deal with rust.
Storing in MN is all I know, since I always am Storing boats/lawn mowers/ and the GMC for the hellish winter, then turn around and Store the
snowblower, snowmobiles for the summer., there might be different things to consider depending on your climate(humidity/rain).

One thing about storing stuff- Sometimes you think you will have it out in 4 or 6 monthh's, then Weather and life may change those plans. I have
seen plenty of stuff(GMC's included) parked with full intention of using them sooner then later, only to sit stored for longer times. Very common
with RV's and Snowmobiles(I have one that has been stored for a decade now waiting for good snow). In the case of the VW Thing I bought a few years,
it sat in a winter storage since 1983. If you plan on storing it, it does not take much time to set it up to sit for a couple years as easily as
4-6 months.

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

Mike Kelley via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 11:28:16 AM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike Kelley
John R:
Good info - thanks for the clarification!
Mike/The Corvair a holic (w/ lots of vehicles in storage) have 3 GMC’s and 13 Corvairs and go to Tx. for 6 months to stay warm in the winter!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 12:08:48 PM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Rich Mondor, I don't think those heat pumps are going to make the program in your winters, unless they have heat strips in. I'd consider a furnace.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell

slc via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 1:16:50 PM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, slc
With the introduction of Ethanol, I have found stabilizer performance questionable.
The Ethanol or Alcohol isn't affected the same as the gasoline is. The alcohol can
go through separation from the fuel if sitting a long time and will certainly
separate if moisture is present in the tank as Alcohol is drawn to moisture.

A new(ish) version of Stabil has been introduced just for the Ethanol fuels.

It is called Sta Bil 360.

It offers the same protection that the original Sta Bil did but it is supposed
to keep the Ethanol stable, and it protects the metal above the fuel level from
corrosion.
Now I can't find it on print, but I was led to believe that it is supposed to
help prevent the alcohol attack against the rubber fuel line. So until I can find
it in print again, that is hear say.

Features:

Helps prevent corrosion above and below the fuel line where no other additive can!
Ultimate protection against Ethanol blended fuels
Helps clean fuel system to improve performance
Stabilizes fuel up to 12 months
Use at every fill up
Helps increase power and fuel efficiency
Designed for protecting your vehicle and make it running smoothly
Developed to keep your fuel fresh and provide efficient performance
Will help prevent causing corrosion in the fuel lines and engine more details on -

https://www.carid.com/sta-bil/sta-bil-360-performance-fuel-treatment-and-stabilizer-341145563.html.

I have not been big on additives but I have more than a few motor vehicles and they have
their fair share of sitting time.

I was introduced to SeaFoam and it does a good clean up job when I need it on the many gasoline
engines I have.

Just to mention, There is a FUEL RESTORER called Pri-G.
One review CLAIMS the following:

"The company rep said that if I add another ounce every year and make sure that it is mixed thoroughly, the gas will store indefinitely."

I don't purposely try to keep old gas, but it happens, and if this stuff can do as it is advertised to do, I'd be in.

AMAZON

https://www.amazon.com/PRI-Fuel-Stabilizer-Gasoline-Economy/dp/B005JP16TA/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=gasoline+restore&qid=1571677000&sr=8-16#customerReviews

REVIEWS CLAIM that this Fuel Restorer will restore old, bad fuel (claimes of 3 year old fuels) back to normal burnable condition. (anyone use this,
and have a good or bad story).

The reviews were impressive but you know how Amazon reviews go.

I have a Chevy Volt and the computer will automatically monitor the fuel in the tank and when it approaches 1 year of age, the car will force you to
burn the fuel out before you can drive in electric mode again.

I HAVE TO SAY that I think the additives have their place, especially the fuel restorer types. StaBil had been used continually for my fuel tanks.
But I have had problems creep up with the addition of the Ethanol fuels.
StaBil 360 supposedly keeps the Ethanol fuels under control now. I have used it and the problems have stopped.

Now to be able to restore old fuel would be the next step.

Just my take
--
GatsbysCruise. \
74GMC260 Former Glacier Model style. \

mtb8114--- via Gmclist

Oct 21, 2019, 7:37:53 PM10/21/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, mtb...@gmail.com
Thanks y'all for the suggestions. When I lived just south of Memphis we had winters that were wet and cold enough to not have to use a lot of my
equipment for about six months. I learned to use sta-bil in those gas engines especially the more intricate carbed Kawasaki,Stihl and Honda's. Since
I'll be driving the MH once a month into town I'll just keep it full and not bother with stabilizer.

Jesse Farr via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 8:13:38 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jesse Farr
Am I the only poor dumb old boy that had stabil setup like pink bubble gum in injectors, jet skis, etc? Cost a small fortune to replace some of the stuff. I am not a fan and will tell everybody to stay away. My complaints and request for help never even merited a reply.

jofarr
Soddy daisy tn
'74,'76 26 & '78 28

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 11:38:42 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Jess,
Don’t feel neglected, they are in their comfort zone and feel it is not
going to apply to them.
Additives end up in the main tank majority of the time and the aux tank
seldom ever gets the additive in there.

--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

mtb8114--- via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 2:34:36 PM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, mtb...@gmail.com
Hey Jofarr
I've never had an issue with sta-bil clogging anything up. I've actually had very good luck and have only regrets when I failed to use it for over
winter storage. I have heard that it will cause issues if used in already dirty systems as it is also a cleaner. I've never used it in a car or truck
until this year when I stored my 1972 F250. Most everything else I have is diesel so no need.

John R. Lebetski via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 5:39:07 PM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John R. Lebetski
Funny part is now we hate alcohol in fuel. When we were kids our dads probably all bought HEET by the case and added it to the tank like it was
magic. Alcohol in a can.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

Emery Stora via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 9:02:03 PM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Not all alcohol is the same.
Ethanol is in the fuel now. Heet was methanol. Methanol has one carbon while Ethanol has two.
Methanol is better at absorbing water.

Emery Stora

slc via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 5:59:56 AM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, slc
jimk wrote on Tue, 22 October 2019 10:37
> Jess,
> Don't feel neglected, they are in their comfort zone and feel it is not
> going to apply to them.
> Additives end up in the main tank majority of the time and the aux tank
> seldom ever gets the additive in there.
> [/url]

JIM K
A fast question as I have thought about this problem with the two tanks and the "T" feed from the fill.

One sure way to make sure both tanks get the additive is to mix in a can first then fill the RV.

But I have a thought that I have wondered about.

So ok, when driving the gas sloshes and gets into the fill lines and probably some gets back to the other tank.?????

But Some of the engines have fuel pumps that send fuel back to the tanks through the fill lines. Would this have much
bearing on any additives getting into the tanks or just the one supplying fuel?..

I have a unique unfortunate concern at the moment because I can only pump fuel from one tank. The other tank sends fuel through
the fill line to the other tank. The only way I can run "normally" is with the electric fuel pump I had added to the main tank line
before the tank selection solenoid valves. My guess is I should have at least a tank and a half available with this setup as it is now.
About 37 gallons?????

Without the Electric fuel pump, the Mechanical fuel pump will run out of fuel and the engine dies in about a minute or two.
I am guessing air is being sucked into the fuel lines when the electric pump is not running and the mechanical pump is sucking from
the tank. I have no fuel leaking anywhere, the problem has to be either the hoses above the tank or the tank connections inside.

When I use the electric fuel pump to send fuel to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, I can run and get normal speed and power.
Without the electric fuel pump, the engine has power loss problems. Been this way since the original fuel lines were changed out by a shop.
I am doing some test runs to see how much my fuel distance is affected with this set up so I can get it to the shop in Michigan
to drop the tanks and change out the fuel hoses and see what exactly is wrong under there.

But that is not the point...
What I am asking is if the fuel can slosh about enough to mix additive in both tanks on its own as the tank levels go down
and the fuel is moving to and from the tanks. The fuel recirc from the mechanical fuel pump, adds an interesting thought as well.
Great info guys, many thanks.

--
GatsbysCruise. \
74GMC260 Former Glacier Model style. \
Waukegan, Illinois \ Keep those MiniDiscs Spinning \ MY GREYHOUND IS FASTER THAN YOUR HONOR ROLL STUDENT \ WindowsXP-Win7-Win8.1-UBUNTU STUDIO -
UBUNTU VOYAGER - Berzin Auto Center

Matt Colie via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 9:15:08 AM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Matt Colie
jessfarr wrote on Tue, 22 October 2019 08:12
> Am I the only poor dumb old boy that had stabil setup like pink bubble gum in injectors, jet skis, etc? Cost a small fortune to replace some of
> the stuff. I am not a fan and will tell everybody to stay away. My complaints and request for help never even merited a reply.
>
> jofarr

Jess,

This is a great example in support of Emery's continual admonitions to be cautious of mixing additives.

The fact that you got no reply to your note (I do not remember seeing it) just means that in this community, nobody had any help to offer.

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 9:23:36 AM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
The tank selector smiths if working will not allow pulling fuel from the
other tank.

John R. Lebetski via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 9:50:50 AM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John R. Lebetski
Emery, if I'm right, old HEET was a methanol blended with ethanol. The reason I mentioned it was "absorbs water" was advertised as good whereas now it
is poo poo'ed as the root of the problem. E10 should have the ability to integrate 1tbsp water per gallon of fuel so HEET is not needed unless you got
rain in your tank. Alcohol is interesting how it can "play" with water and petroleum based liquids, up until it it can no longer assimilate more
water.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL