[GMCnet] Exhaust donut needed

Keith V via Gmclist

May 29, 2020, 10:38:11 PM5/29/20
to GMC List, Keith V
I'm having an exhaust leak in the donut between the header and the exhaust pipe. Its stinking up my coach.

I'm on the road in south dakota.
I tried O Rileys, but they can only look up by vehicle.

Anyone have an idea where to get one on the fly?

Thanks!
Keith vasilakes
1975 Royale
I90 sioux falls South Dakota

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

May 29, 2020, 10:48:43 PM5/29/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Try Ols Toronado 76 455

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:38 PM Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>
wrote:
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Emery Stora via Gmclist

May 29, 2020, 10:49:33 PM5/29/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Bring it in with you. I found them at NAPA.

Emery Stora

> On May 29, 2020, at 8:38 PM, Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> I'm having an exhaust leak in the donut between the header and the exhaust pipe. Its stinking up my coach.

John Wright via Gmclist

May 29, 2020, 11:41:16 PM5/29/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Wright
The exhaust donut that you want for headers is the FelPro 60584, Napa uses the same number as well as AutoZone too and that is the one that I use. You want the one that is for the Chevy truck GM V8 350 thru 454, 2 1/2” steel sleeve. Expect to pay between $9 & $12+. If they are the lower priced stuff at $4 to $6 they are probably the inferior quality stuff and you will be replacing it again in a couple of years. Important to get the best as of the high heat at that joint. Most Muffler shops also stock the good donut too. As had be said take your old one for size comparison. Be sure to clean the header pipe bell mouth to the muffler mounting flange with some scotch bright to remove any carbon buildup. If you use the bolt and spring arrangement to hold the header and downpipe together, the Dorman Help line at most autoparts stores is GM1900-71 part number and again take your old parts for comparison.

J.R. Wright
GMC Great Laker MHC
GMCGL Tech Editor
GMC Eastern States Charter Member
GMCMI
78 GMC Buskirk 29.5’ Stretch
75 GMC Avion (Under Reconstruction)
Michigan

Mike Hamm via Gmclist

May 30, 2020, 1:20:30 AM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike Hamm
FelPro 60584
Amazon $7.79
--
1977 Kingsley 455 as stock as it gets except lots of Ragusa parts

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 30, 2020, 8:40:34 AM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I took an old one to Advance and they matched it. Been a while, unfortunately don't have the envelope with the part # any more, but it waqs a stock
item.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Keith V via Gmclist

May 30, 2020, 10:40:33 AM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V
Wow what an awesome response! I cant bri g the old one in because i dont have towed, and im not driving it without a gasket!
Ill call around and see if i can locate one?

GMC guys are the best!
Keith
________________________________
May 30, 2020, 11:51:39 AM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ty Hardiman
I use the 60241, which Fel-Pro's website shows for an Oldsmobile 403/455 application. I haven't used a 60258, which crosses with a Chevy 350/454
application. Fel-Pro's website shows a slight size difference between the two. I may grab a 60258 today and see what the difference in fit is, if any.
--
Norman, OK / August 1977 Kingsley / 403 / 3.55 / 16" / Quadrajet

Ty Hardiman via Gmclist

May 30, 2020, 11:54:00 AM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ty Hardiman
And now I see you have headers, rather than manifolds. My answer was regarding manifolds.

Safe travels,
Ty

Keith V via Gmclist

May 30, 2020, 9:28:52 PM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Ty Hardiman
I got the donut in it fits, not sure if the 241 is better or not, but this one worked.

Its nice not go have exhaust fumes in the coach.

Btw, how we found it was i put my wind wing all the way out, this sucks air out of the coach pulling exhaust fumes in. Hard to believe that can happen at 6p mph, but it was sure repeatable!
________________________________
May 30, 2020, 9:33:40 PM5/30/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Ty Hardiman
That must be the difference
________________________________
May 31, 2020, 1:11:24 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Ty Hardiman
More coffee is always the right answer!
________________________________
May 31, 2020, 1:19:53 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
There is a distinction between Manifold and Headers.
Be specific as it is rude to say one and mean another.
Since I spend about 60% of my time answering tech questions and being 77
I’m not too toleren .😩

Jon Roche via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:17:26 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
What Jim is saying
Maybe. Is there is not usually a doughtnut with headers. Fairly certain you have headers if I remember??

Might need a closer look. I learned there was no doughnuts for my headers last year. Ended up a cheap
Muffler failed. Had to get under to see when I dived in to make sure bolts holding exhaust to header was tight.

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:29:20 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
The NEW design does not have donut, but the older headers use the donut.

Keith V via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:33:55 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V
I have old headers, Probably 12- 15 years old, the donut was the solution.
Donuts and coffee mmmmmm