[GMCnet] Floor jack

Kingsley Coach

Oct 24, 2016, 9:39:20 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Netters

My floor jack has just died and I was sent the wrong repair kit to
rejuvenate it. Thus I need a new jack!

The old one was a 3 1/2 ton floor model. Is this the best choice or can I
get away with say a 3 ton ....or do I go heavier?
I always use jack stands as an insurance policy and only lift the front in
the centre so the whole thing rises at once. This would likely be the
heaviest lift.

What are you guys using for lifting power?
Thanks

Mike in NS

--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

Dolph Santorine

Oct 24, 2016, 10:11:33 AM10/24/16
to GMC List
Mike:

It was most important to me to get one with a high lift.

I’m using a 3 ton unit that’s likely from the 1960’s, but it also has about 25 inches of lift.

I also have some low profile units from Northern Tool that we use for tire changes on the Miata (that I would not dream of putting under the coach).

I’ve had great luck with heathen Chinee bottle jacks, but try to avoid their floor jacks.

Just one opinionated sphincters opinion.

Dolph

DE N8JPC

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 26’ ex-PalmBeach
1-Ton, Sullybilt Bags, Reaction Arms, 3.70 LSD, Manny Transmission, EV-6010

“The Aluminum and Fiberglass Mistress"

Michael Johnson

Oct 24, 2016, 10:15:04 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Heathen chinee?

RC Jordan

Oct 24, 2016, 10:31:47 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
>Heathen chinee?

Cheap stuff from China. Phrase by Johnny Bridges that stuck.
--
77 Royale Coachmen Side Dry Bath
76 Birchaven Coachmen Side Wet Bath

Michael Johnson

Oct 24, 2016, 10:37:07 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
It's also a racial slur worthy of Donald TRUMP. Do you think any slant
eyes own a GMC, or a GMC supply house?

Michael Johnson

Oct 24, 2016, 10:39:12 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
But I guess since it's just a joke, that doesn't matter...

James Hupy

Oct 24, 2016, 10:41:43 AM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
? ??? WTF?
Jim Hupy (make all the slurs you want about my ethnicity, if you can figure
out what the heck it is.) (VBGRIN)

Dolph Santorine

Oct 24, 2016, 10:41:51 AM10/24/16
to GMC List
Going off not knowing a thing about me or my family.

I’m just going to ignore that.

Know what you’re talking about before going there.

Dolph

Dolph Santorine

Oct 24, 2016, 10:43:43 AM10/24/16
to GMC List
Thank you.

It is just a joke.

If I’m going to deliver a racial slur, you’ll know it, and it won’t be subtle or funny.

It’s also won’t ever happen.

Dolph

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2016, 12:08:42 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Politically Correct ain't me. As to possessors of an epicanthral(sp?) fold, would they not be Asian in general of origon? We should ask Kanomata.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

Terry

Oct 24, 2016, 12:13:37 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I got a 3 1/2 ton aluminum/steel floor jack from Northern to keep in the rv full-time. I have found the heaviest lift is at the rear bogie mount and
actually bows the sides of the jack :(
It lifts the front center easier than the rear on just one side, which I was not expecting, but I guess all that fake wood and fuel and water weigh
more than the 455 and drivetrain!

I will probably reinforce it with a crossbolt at sometime to feel safer, but the lesson learned is to drive the GMC to the store where you buy the
jack and immediately try it out in the parking lot before you leave. Take some cardboard and wooden blocks, don't scratch the paint or get it dirty,
and you can return it if it is not satisfactory.
--
Terry Kelpien

ASE Master Technician

Smithfield, Va.

Jim Kanomata

Oct 24, 2016, 12:31:47 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike,
Most shops use the jack stands to hold at first stage, then we use a 4x4
wood block to elevate it higher and criss cross additional 4x4 to raise it
higher, but have the jack stand in place as a back up in case there is a
mis hap.
Always have a wheel chock to keep from rolling.
Don't use cinder blocks as they are not reliable.
We also use full 2" thick wood 12 x 12 at base of the stand.
We also place additional jack stands as back up just in case.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Michael Johnson <lhasao...@gmail.com>
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Fremont,CA

Jim Kanomata

Oct 24, 2016, 12:37:26 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have both a slant eye and a GMC.
You want to get out of the way when I drive.
All in fun here, I'm always cracking ethnic jokes as we live in America and
we have great sense of humor.
I do look alike the rest and I do have trouble telling you round eyes
apart, Ha Ha.

A.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:53:15 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kingsley Coach wrote on Mon, 24 October 2016 08:38
> Netters
> My floor jack has just died and I was sent the wrong repair kit to rejuvenate it. Thus I need a new jack!
>
> The old one was a 3 1/2 ton floor model. Is this the best choice or can I get away with say a 3 ton ....or do I go heavier?
> I always use jack stands as an insurance policy and only lift the front in the centre so the whole thing rises at once. This would ikely be the
> heaviest lift.
>
> What are you guys using for lifting power?
> Thanks
>
> Mike in NS
> --
> Michael Beaton
> 1977 Kingsley 26-11
> 1977 Eleganza II 26-3
> Antigonish, NS
>
> Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even!
I got a kit for a G489 from Lazzar's. The jack was Chinese but not a slacker (5 ton). The original seal hardened in the Southern heat. Now it works
like new and doesn't leak.

http://www.hcrcnow.com/

Someone gave the jack to my brother because it didn't work. My brother gave it to me. $20 or so for the kit with shipping. Best $20 I think I ever
spent.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

Kingsley Coach

Oct 24, 2016, 2:39:46 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Michael Johnson, do you think you could hi-jack a different thread than
mine...say your own !!
I didn't type my question for something to do, I typed it because I need
information. Try starting a new threat next time!!

Now where was I....?
I have one who says 3 ton, one who says 3 1/2, another who says get a
repair kit, and a Jimmy K. who got excited and was just about to tell me
what size jack after he was finished explaining how I might stay alive in
my jacking endeavors ...

I need a tie breaker......

Tks

Mike in NS

James Hupy

Oct 24, 2016, 3:58:37 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike, when it comes to jacks, bigger is better. So, if you have a 3 ton
load, use a 5 or 6 ton jack. If you are middle age, you have already
learned the safety stuff. But it never hurts to be reminded once in a
while. I personally use 6 ton jack stands on GMC. Two under the front
frame/ clip joint, and 4 in the rear. Always choose a cross member location
for placing stands. Just what I do.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Larry

Oct 24, 2016, 4:34:59 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have two HF floor jacks and 6 HF 6 ton jack stands

I mounted a 12" x12" piece of 3/4" plywood to this jack and use it for my cars and lifting transmission into place. Works perfect for me.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

I use this jack for lifting the front of the coach and then put the 6 ton stands under the frame.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68056.html

Both jacks have served me well. I waited to buy them on one of their super sales or parking lot sale and got them for under $100 each.

JWID

--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

Adolph Santorine

Oct 24, 2016, 4:42:36 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Jim

I couldn't agree more. Lots of oversized jack stands, and I still put the tires under the frame as I was taught all those years ago.

Dolph Santorine

DE N8JPC

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 ex-Palm Beach TZE167V100820
1-ton, Sullybuilt Bags, Reaction Arms, 3.70 LSD, Manny Transmission, EV-6010,

Rob Mueller

Oct 24, 2016, 5:10:37 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike,

Here's a link to Harbor Freight's offerings:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=60&q=hydraulic+jack

I have one of the 3 ton low profile jacks in Houston and bought another one that will get shipped to Sydney with a bunch of GMC
spares.

I also have one of these here in Sydney and recently bought one for the shop in Houston, it was on sale for silly money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/22-ton-airhydraulic-floor-jack-61476.html

I put the one I have here in Sydney under the trailer hitch and jack up the whole rear end.

To jack up the front end I made one of these:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/projects/p26001-lifting-bar.html

Regards,
Rob M.
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426

Kingsley Coach

Oct 24, 2016, 7:11:03 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thank you gentlemen one and all.
The key seems to be the bigger the better and that will be determined buy
my wallet ! <g>

I've lived this long, so I am my own safety officer...

Mike in NS

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Rob Mueller <robmu...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:
Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

Jerry Burt

Oct 24, 2016, 8:14:22 PM10/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I've got a HF 4 ton jack and use 6 ton stands front and rear.
--
Patti & Jerry Burt
73 Gmc 26' Canyon Lands -

Hal StClair

Oct 25, 2016, 5:20:22 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I like the 3 ton hybrid steel/aluminum jack that Costco carries 'now'. Ths price is right and they are a lot easier to man handle than the all steel
units. Then again, I only use them in my shop and not in a comercial enviroment. Don't know how well they will last comparred with my Walker's but for
under $100 they hit the spot.
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 25, 2016, 5:53:14 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I crib with 4x4s. I have a Harbor Freight 3 ton floor jack which leaks down slowly... so I never get under anything it's holding. I've an 8 ton
bottle jack from TS which lifts anything I stick it under. Cost less than 40 bux. I use the floor jack to get the GMC up enough for the bottle jack,
and then lift it where I want and crib it safely. Remember, the frame on these coaches doesn't clear the ground much when the tires and air bags are
inflated. Lose one while you're under it, you are unlikely to survive.
Frankly, I miss Coca-Cola<tm> crates from Back In The Day. Everybody used them to prop up cars, trucks, and houses. Sad day when Coke went to
plastic.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

Carl Stouffer

Oct 25, 2016, 6:15:39 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike,

I have a Craftsman 3-1/2 ton floor jack that I bought 10 or 15years ago for working on 1-ton trucks. It is a struggle for it to lift the front end of
my GMC or one rear side. I always use heavy duty jack stands as soon as I get it jacked up. Based on that, I would not recommend a 3 ton jack. Do
as others have suggested and go for the overkill. It will be safer and easier to use.
--
Carl Stouffer
'75 ex Palm Beach

A.

Oct 25, 2016, 6:27:38 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Carl S. wrote on Tue, 25 October 2016 17:14
> Mike,
> I have a Craftsman 3-1/2 ton floor jack that I bought 10 or 15years ago for working on 1-ton trucks. It is a struggle for it to lift the front
> end of my GMC or one rear side. I always use heavy duty jack stands as soon as I get it jacked up. Based on that, I would not recommend a 3 ton
> jack. Do as others have suggested and go for the overkill. It will be safer and easier to use.
I have a 2-1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack that I used until I got the 5 ton and fixed it. I would put some cribbing under the frame and raise it about
3/4" and add a 1Xsomething and jack another 3/4" and pull the 1Xsomething and add a 2Xsomething. Raise another 3/4" and so on. I am pretty sure that
2-1/4 ton jack would have failed catastrophically and I didn't want it to drop several inches or more, so the way I did it would never drop more than
3/4 to an inch if the jack gave out suddenly.

The wooden jackstands on the photosite are at least as good as any steel jackstands for the same support expectation. I have seen steel ramps and
jackstands that had failed. I favor correctly oriented cribbing.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"Highest price does not guarantee highest quality."

Brian Waddell

Oct 25, 2016, 7:09:05 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

How did you let it down?.That must have been complicated..Brian 77 ele 455

________________________________
Oct 25, 2016, 7:46:08 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
A Hamilto wrote on Tue, 25 October 2016 17:26
> The wooden jackstands on the photosite are at least as good as any steel jackstands for the same support expectation. I have seen steel ramps and
> jackstands that had failed. I favor correctly oriented cribbing.

URL for the noted wood jack stands:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g5461-12-ton-jack-stands.html

--
Steve Southworth
1974 Glacier TZE064V100150 (for workin on)

Kingsley Coach

Oct 25, 2016, 11:37:19 PM10/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Netters
I went to Princess auto today and bought a 3 1/2 ton. It's so heavy two men
and a dog could barely lift it...but I got it into the trunk of the car ...
with great effort. Clearly it was not aluminum <g>
It was too far(gas) for the GMC and 3 1/2 was my seizure point on
cost...it's almost the same as the old one that I bought when I got the GMC
back in '96 except that this one has a 'quick lift'
I'll arrange a crane to get it out and unpacked tomorrow to give it a go.

Thanks for all comments...or most anyway <g>

Mike in NS

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Steve Southworth <mi...@centurytel.net>
wrote:
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11
1977 Eleganza II 26-3
Antigonish, NS

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

A.

Oct 26, 2016, 12:46:59 AM10/26/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Brian Waddell wrote on Tue, 25 October 2016 18:08
> How did you let it down?.That must have been complicated..Brian 77 ele 455
Nope. Jack it up enough to get the weight off and take out a board. Lower to just before touching the remaining cribbing and pull out another board.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Brian Waddell

Oct 27, 2016, 5:49:39 PM10/27/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I guess you did not catch on that I was making a joke...brian 77ele 455

________________________________
Oct 27, 2016, 6:40:40 PM10/27/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Everyone on here does things a little differently...personally I wouldn't
dare call you on your approach <VBG>
I remember reading it and thinking, "Man, that would be time consuming ! "
<g>

Mike in NS

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Brian Waddell <sper...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11
1977 Eleganza II 26-3
Antigonish, NS

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 27, 2016, 9:06:29 PM10/27/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Yeah, it is time consuming. The standard funeral in my church doesn't run much over 15 minutes unless there's a hell of a homily.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

Dave King

Oct 28, 2016, 11:28:59 AM10/28/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
To Mike in N.S., the neat thing about buying at Princess Auto is how easy is to do a return if you change your mind or
what ever and their Warranty policy. If your in their system most returns and warranty are no questions asked.
I wouldn't even know where to buy a name brand jack so I guess I would give PrinTcess Auto a try
Good luck with your new jack. Yes the heavy duty ones are HEAVY !!
To people that don't know what Princess Auto is, it's like a Canadian Harbor Freight.
They've been in business since 1933.
--
DAVE KING
lurker, wannabe

Kingsley Coach

Oct 28, 2016, 7:19:58 PM10/28/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Dave
To make the deal even better, I got a flyer in the mail today that showed
the jack I just bought at $100 off the regular price and the price I paid !
I called and they said....No problem, stop in and we'll put the hundred and
tax back in your debit card account.

Service that's hard to beat!

Anything we can do for you my fine feathered lurker...? <VBG>

Mike in NS