[GMCnet] smart for two car

1 view

Jane Field

Mar 30, 2017, 5:36:52 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We are looking for a new toad. Sold our Ural sidecar motorcycle in
December. We used it as a toad for 14 years, but are at a point in our
lives that maybe a small car would be a better bet. We looked at smart car
by Mercedes today and wonder if any GMC folks have had experience in the
use of the Smart For Two car as a toad. Would like to know how it is
working. I know that you can tow it four down, but can't see how a tow bar
rig would work on this car. Thanks for your input.

Chuck Field
77 Royale with 454 Chevy.

James Hupy

Mar 30, 2017, 6:05:10 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Paul Hoge and Sandy Brooks towed a smart car with their GMC. It worked well
for their needs. Paul was handicapped and used a scooter which folded up
and went in the rear of the car. Sandy could hook it up with no problem.
Camping World in Wilsonville did the install. I believe D.J. Eberhart also
is equipped to tow a smart car. Both coaches were from the GMC Cascaders.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

gene Fisher

Mar 30, 2017, 7:37:30 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Only haules 2

Gene Fisher -- 74-23,77PB/ore/ca
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today --- give him a URL and
-------
http://gmcmotorhome.info/
Alternator Protection Cable
http://gmcmotorhome.info/APC.html

James Hupy

Mar 30, 2017, 7:43:17 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
That's all they needed, but, think about a mini cooper wagon or a Fiat like
Jerry and Sharon Work had.

Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Mar 30, 2017, 8:20:06 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Smart for two 14K and change
Kia Soul 16K and change
Fiat Abarth 18K and change
Mini Cooper wagon 23k and change

Smart is the lightest, then Fiat then Kia, Clubman last.

I've seen several Smarts being used as toads. I'll stick with the Kia. It is however heavier if that matters. ?They're all under 3K pounds.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Nelson Wright

Mar 30, 2017, 9:30:55 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Chuck,
I have had a Smart toad for over 8 years and have towed it from Florida to Nova Scotia and many other places, up and down mountains etc. At around 1600 # it barely effects the MPG,and doesn't require add on braking system. When not being towed it is a fun car to drive and if you want to meet people it's better than a puppy as people are constantly asking about it.
As for your question about the tow bar setup, I have modified the tow hooks that screw in the front frame and modified a standard tow bar. Stick on a pair of magnetic tail lights, hook up the safety cables, put the tranny in neutral and you're good to go.
HTH,

Nelson Wright
Belle Isle Fl.
78 Royale Rear Bath

D C _Mac_ Macdonald

Mar 30, 2017, 10:27:18 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Jerry work may not have sold his 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth and tow dolly yet.

If I were not 2000+ miles away from him, I would have bought that combo.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ D C "Mac" Macdonald ~ ~~
~ ~ Amateur Radio - K2GKK ~ ~
~ ~ Since 30 November '53 ~ ~
~ ~ USAF and FAA, Retired ~ ~
~ Member GMCMI and Classics ~
~ ~ ~ Oklahoma City, OK ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ ~ "The Money Pit" ~ ~ ~~
~ ~ ~ ~ TZE166V101966 ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ '76 ex-Palm Beach ~ ~ ~
~~ k2gkk + hotmail dot com ~~
~ www.gmcmhphotos.com/okclb ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
______________
|[ ]~~~[][ ][]\
"--OO--[]---O-"

John R. Lebetski

Mar 30, 2017, 10:35:59 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Anything associated with Mercedes has horrific depreciation in the first few years. And bend over for parts. I think the alternator access is a real
issue on Smart. What about a Spark for 4 down?
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

Carey Bryan

Mar 30, 2017, 11:11:16 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Paul Doane from Halifax, Nova Scotia had a Smart car for a towed and said it had problems. Again and again. Maybe he still has it and can give more up
to date advice.

Carey
--
Carey from Ennis, Texas
78 Royale, 500 Cadillac, Rance Baxter EFI.

Thomas Phipps

Mar 30, 2017, 11:35:07 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ask Smart owners about Mercedes part prices for their Smart Car. Friends towed one for several years and were very happy tp let it go. Cost more to
maintain than their GMC, even with him doing most of the work.
Nissan Versa (manual) or older Honda Fit is also an excellent choice. My Fit weighs at 2335 pounds.
If I was going to purchase new, Kia Soul would be first choice. Easy for my Senior bones to get in and out of, including the rear seat. Quite the
small hauler.
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

James Hupy

Mar 30, 2017, 11:43:41 PM3/30/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
You guys will go to great lengths to drag some foreign piece of iron and
plastic around with your coaches. Be careful what you wish for, you are
just liable to wind up with it. Drive your coach where you want to go, rent
a car when you get there. Save a bundle.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403.

Chris Tyler

Mar 31, 2017, 9:19:53 AM3/31/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Jim, by THAT logic maybe we should all just drive where we want to go and rent lodging. It would probably be cheaper!

One thing to keep in mind for 'Toads" is how useful will it be as a second [or whatever ] car when not RVing?

I considered getting several vehicles i wanted to play with anyway including a dune buggy, and older jeep, and a mini cooper

Ended up with a 99Tracker 4WD and use it more than the GMC lately.
--
76 Glenbrook

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Mar 31, 2017, 9:32:15 AM3/31/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I'm with Chris - the Kia is my car, Paula has a T&C minivan. That it's the toad is a bennie I wanted when I got it. Just rolled it over 100K, so far
oil changes a set of tires. Still on original hoses belt and brakes. Change the oil every 5K miles, it will usually be a half quart down at that
point. It needs the drivers' side doors which I ruffled, I'm looking. Need a wreck hit on the pass side with 1D paint code.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Mar 31, 2017, 9:35:54 AM3/31/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
And lemme point out, as Bounds notes, use of the GMC - and toad - is individual. I use mine to get to dog shows, and the toad is necessary when the
venue doesn't have RV spaces. Otherwise, it's a lifeboat.
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Sammy Williams

Mar 31, 2017, 10:03:29 AM3/31/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Rental vehicles may not always be available in a popular area such as a GMC
convention or in a smaller market away from airports. The toad you bring in
behind your GMC is available for your usage when it's needed in any market
you go too without restrictions. If it's new it also comes with a warranty.
If not depending on mileage, an aftermarket warranty can be had. If you
want a toad, use it.

James Hupy

Mar 31, 2017, 11:49:16 AM3/31/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Quite a few members of the GMC CASCADERS are into playing in the sand dunes
with a variety of equipment towed behind their coaches. Stuff like quads,
sand rails, jeeps, Suzuki Samurai's, VW things, etc. One has a Meyers Manx
street legal buggy that he trailers, and uses it for a toad as well. I am
not saying "don't tow with a GMC" Just carefully plan why you do it. I see
lots of coaches towing stuff that never gets used enough to justify
dragging them behind. I have a Ford Bronco II that I have rigged up to tow
behind my coach, and never do. I prefer to tow an enclosed cargo trailer
with my vendor stuff and camp kitchen. It is lightweight. Less than 800
pounds loaded. Never know it is there. Some guys tow enclosed trailers with
thousands of pounds of race bikes or corvairs. To each his own, I guess.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Ken Burton

Apr 1, 2017, 1:00:53 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I talked to Nancy at the GMCMI rally a few days ago. They sold the Smart car and got a Nissan Versa.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Pete Smith

Apr 1, 2017, 4:58:13 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Car provides lots more storage and a lifeboat.

We will likely have my Honda fit as a toad.

Pete
--
Cary, NC

No Coach yet but likely center kitchen, dry side bath Royale, 78, 403, hopefully with good original white Imron paint.

Kingsley Coach

Apr 1, 2017, 6:23:59 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
James

That's not a white Bronco that I would have seen in a low speed chase a few
years ago is it? <VBG>

Mike in NS
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

James Hupy

Apr 1, 2017, 6:43:21 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike, that was a full size Bronco that O.J. was in. Mine is the small one
that was discontinued in 1991 and replaced by the Ford Exploder. Whoops,
Explorer.
How are you doing?
Jim Hupy

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Kingsley Coach <kings...@gmail.com>

Kingsley Coach

Apr 1, 2017, 9:28:58 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I've certainly been worse ...
Perhaps I should go back and review file footage. It might help if I has
a touch of accuracy when I speak....<g>

Mike in NS

Ken Burton

Apr 1, 2017, 10:12:58 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kingsley Coach wrote on Sat, 01 April 2017 20:28
> I've certainly been worse ...
> Perhaps I should go back and review file footage. It might help if I has
> a touch of accuracy when I speak....
>
> Mike in NS

You might give O.J. a call and ask him for sure. I believe he is in Nevada at: Lovelock Correctional. 1200 Prison Rd, Lovelock, NV 89419. That is
about 100 miles NE of Reno on I-80.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Ken Burton

Apr 1, 2017, 10:54:09 PM4/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Someone sent me a note suggesting the you call him soon. He is up for parole sometime this year.

Kingsley Coach

Daniel Jacobs

Apr 3, 2017, 4:28:20 AM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
A very nice and cheaper then the 500, is the Fiat Panda. They sell them even as 4x4's.
https://www.fiat.com/panda

Daniel
--
Daniel Jacobs, No GMC, but an admirer of them .... We'll see what the future brings ....

Always remember, the world is full of nice people!
So, if you can't find one, be one!

D C _Mac_ Macdonald

Apr 3, 2017, 11:22:31 AM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Must be European or International only. Not shown for USA.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ D C "Mac" Macdonald ~ ~~
~ ~ Amateur Radio - K2GKK ~ ~
~ ~ Since 30 November '53 ~ ~
~ ~ USAF and FAA, Retired ~ ~
~ Member GMCMI and Classics ~
~ ~ ~ Oklahoma City, OK ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ ~ "The Money Pit" ~ ~ ~~
~ ~ ~ ~ TZE166V101966 ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ '76 ex-Palm Beach ~ ~ ~
~~ k2gkk + hotmail dot com ~~
~ www.gmcmhphotos.com/okclb ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
______________
|[ ]~~~[][ ][]\
"--OO--[]---O-"

________________________________

Daniel Jacobs

Apr 3, 2017, 3:58:56 PM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Oh, sorry, did not know Fiat did not sell the Panda in the USA.
But it is a nice little car. The 500 is based on the same base as the Panda. The Panda is more spacious.

Daniel
--
Daniel Jacobs, No GMC, but an admirer of them .... We'll see what the future brings ....

Always remember, the world is full of nice people!
So, if you can't find one, be one!

Sammy Williams

Apr 3, 2017, 5:38:15 PM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I've seen Panda's elsewhere, but they are not available in the USA. :)

Saturn's would make good toads if only GM had kept them alive.

Kerry Pinkerton

Apr 3, 2017, 9:22:39 PM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
cbryan wrote on Thu, 30 March 2017 22:10
> Paul Doane from Halifax, Nova Scotia had a Smart car for a towed and said it had problems. Again and again. Maybe he still has it and can give
> more up to date advice.
>
> Carey

They sold it. I commented to them in Shawnee, "I see you got smart and got a real car" LOL. Paul did say it was frequently needing work and the work
and parts were expensive.

--
Kerry Pinkerton - North Alabama

77 Eleganza II, 403CI, Manny Brakes, 1 ton, tranny, lots of aluminum goodies.

http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/

'03 Fleetwood Discovery 39L

David Horowitz

Apr 3, 2017, 10:46:04 PM4/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Howdy!

If ya'll could help me out.. I'm searching for a California registered Sidekick or Tracker (4x4 93-1998).

Thanks much,
Dave
--
David del Rio - 75 Avion - Raymond, CA

D C _Mac_ Macdonald

Apr 4, 2017, 12:05:52 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I believe that "Smart" is made by BMW. Your know, if you buy a BMW thinking it's a poor man's Mercedes, you soon will be a poor man!

I'm sure you can figure out how I know that!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ D C "Mac" Macdonald ~ ~~
~ ~ Amateur Radio - K2GKK ~ ~
~ ~ Since 30 November '53 ~ ~
~ ~ USAF and FAA, Retired ~ ~
~ Member GMCMI and Classics ~
~ ~ ~ Oklahoma City, OK ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ ~ "The Money Pit" ~ ~ ~~
~ ~ ~ ~ TZE166V101966 ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ '76 ex-Palm Beach ~ ~ ~
~~ k2gkk + hotmail dot com ~~
~ www.gmcmhphotos.com/okclb ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
______________
|[ ]~~~[][ ][]\
"--OO--[]---O-"

________________________________
cbryan wrote on Thu, 30 March 2017 22:10
> Paul Doane from Halifax, Nova Scotia had a Smart car for a towed and said it had problems. Again and again. Maybe he still has it and can give
> more up to date advice.
>
> Carey

They sold it. I commented to them in Shawnee, "I see you got smart and got a real car" LOL. Paul did say it was frequently needing work and the work
and parts were expensive.

--
Kerry Pinkerton - North Alabama

77 Eleganza II, 403CI, Manny Brakes, 1 ton, tranny, lots of aluminum goodies.

http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/
[http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/m_0023.jpg]<http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/>

GMC Parts from Kerry Pinkerton - bdub.net<http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/>
www.bdub.net
DISCLAIMER #1: These are raw aluminum. I am not responsible for damage to your paint or anything else. If you've got paint that you don't want scratched under the ...

'03 Fleetwood Discovery 39L

Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC

Apr 4, 2017, 12:35:44 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

> I believe that "Smart" is made by BMW. Your know, if you buy a BMW thinking it's a poor man's Mercedes, you soon will be a poor man!

MCC (the company that makes Smart) belongs to Mercedes.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

'76a Eleganza II, VA

Bruce Hislop

Apr 4, 2017, 6:42:21 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I heard recently that after this year, only the electric version of the Smart car will be available in the USA.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/14/daimler-smart-electric/

This may leave existing customer with harder to get obsolete parts.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

John R. Lebetski

Apr 4, 2017, 10:02:46 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
$16-21k new Smart pricing is a killer. It can be had with 240Watt JBL sound though. I would think depreciation would be $4-5k first year. For 5k you
can buy a nice Jeep XJ Cherokee. Get the 4 cyl for weight savings if its just to get into town for groceries. Get 4 wheel drive and it won't get stuck
in the muddy camp like Smart. Get a tow strap and in 4 low it can help pull the GMC out. In a couple years it will still be worth exactly--wait for
it---$5k.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

Nelson Wright

Apr 4, 2017, 10:31:36 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Yes, Paul did have some problems with his smart car, largely due to a item that shifted in the car while being towed and knocked the shift lever into gear. This did result in some expensive repairs.
We have had our smart car for nine years now and the only expenses were a new battery and two tires from Walmart. I have driven it in snow and mud with no problems.
Although it is marketed by Mercedes it is actually built in France by German workers and has a Mitsubishi three cylinder 1 Liter engine.
HTH

Sent from my iPhone
Nelson Wright
78 Royal rear bath
Belle Isle Fl

Orlando Fl.

D C _Mac_ Macdonald

Apr 4, 2017, 11:17:05 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
AH HAH! I was thinking of the Mini line that IS made by BMW. Reliability records of the Mini mimic those of BMWs.

Mercedes Benz reliability records (along with those of the Smart) are pretty low as well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ D C "Mac" Macdonald ~ ~~
~ ~ Amateur Radio - K2GKK ~ ~
~ ~ Since 30 November '53 ~ ~
~ ~ USAF and FAA, Retired ~ ~
~ Member GMCMI and Classics ~
~ ~ ~ Oklahoma City, OK ~ ~ ~
~~ ~ ~ "The Money Pit" ~ ~ ~~
~ ~ ~ ~ TZE166V101966 ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ '76 ex-Palm Beach ~ ~ ~
~~ k2gkk + hotmail dot com ~~
~ www.gmcmhphotos.com/okclb ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
______________
|[ ]~~~[][ ][]\
"--OO--[]---O-"

________________________________
Apr 4, 2017, 11:21:14 AM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
This thread is kinda interesting for an outsider.

In Germany one of the things that people told me they liked about their
Mercedes were the inexpensive parts... Especially compared to Volkswagen
or Audi.

The first Mini build by BMW had a lot of issues in terms of reliability.

So, different countries, different results. Interesting :)

Daniel Jacobs

Apr 4, 2017, 1:39:20 PM4/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Peer Oliver Schmidt wrote on Tue, 04 April 2017 17:20
> This thread is kinda interesting for an outsider.
> The first Mini build by BMW had a lot of issues in terms of reliability.
>
> So, different countries, different results. Interesting :)
>
> --
> Best regards
> Peer

;) .... That were the first builds in the UK Plants ....
(Opening: Proud-Mode)
Now more different types, are build in Born, in the Netherlands, at the VDL Plant.
Even the newer cabrios are scheduled for production there next year.
BMW choose them for their top quality build. (Close: Proud-Mode) .... ;)

Daniel