[GMCnet] Q for Mansfield Attendees

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 7:43:49 AM10/22/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
Did anyone experience electrical power problems at GMCMI Mansfield? I ask
because we were never able to operate our Dometic 2652 refrigerator on 120
vac while there -- the circuit breaker would trip periodically. The first
time it happened, the automatic transfer to LPG allowed the tank to be
emptied and the refrigerator to defrost. After several tripping incidents,
I got the tank refilled and ran from it until we got home.

Here, I tore into the refer expecting to find a flaw -- everything checked
out fine. And it's run on 120 vac without problem ever since. So, I can
only suspect voltage spikes, or something at Mansfield, the ONLY place the
refer has ever given trouble during the 9 years it's been installed.

Ken H.
Americus, GA
'76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, Troy-Bilt APU, etc., etc., etc.
www.gmcwipersetc.com

Matt Colie via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 8:36:22 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Matt Colie
Ken,

We had no issues and we run a 120V reefer.

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan

Dolph Santorine via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 9:00:49 AM10/22/19
to GMC List, Dolph Santorine
Ken:

I was in the 30 amp outlet, and tend to use a bit of power when on mains.

No problem with the Danfoss fridge, Heat Pump or resistance heat.

The Xantrex also identifies flipped neutrals and lifted grounds (it gets NOISY with the latter), and shows voltage and frequency.

All was good.

Dolph

DE AD0LF

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 26’ ex-PalmBeach
Howell EFI & EBL, Reaction Arms, Manny Transmission

“The Aluminum and Fiberglass Mistress"

Mike Kelley via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 9:12:57 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike Kelley
Hi Ken:
Mike Kelley here.
We had no problem at Mansfield - ran refridge and A C on a 30 amp site.
Sorry you had a problem!
Mike/The Corvair a holic

Sent from my iPhone

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 9:30:25 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
Ken,
The only issue I had was one cold morning...
-Electric water heater ON (1000 Watts)
-Electric space heater ON (1500 watts)
-Coffee maker ON (~1000 watts)
-Electric Fridge (random operation.. 600 watt start, 90 watts run)

Plus various other small items

Well no surprise, we tripped the 30Amp breaker. Then voted that a warm shower and hot coffee beats warm feet!

I have logging on my Inverter/charger. I've never looked at it but it would be interesting to see. We were in row F.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

Richard Denney via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 10:45:56 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Richard Denney
We ran our refer on AC the whole time while there and had no issues. But we
didn’t run close to the edge—didn’t need AC after the first day and those
toes were heated with propane. We did run the microwave from time to time
and all that “red” hair gets dried with a 2000-watt hair dryer, but I don’t
think we ever even turned on the water heater.

I wonder if the breaker at your site was starting to get flaky.

Rick “your propane tank must have been on fumes anyway for the refer to
empty it” Denney

--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia

Nick Chapekis via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 11:04:01 AM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Nick Chapekis
Pretty sure we shared the same post, Ken (we were parked directly behind you). Ran our refer, space heater, water heater, and coffee maker without
any problems. Polarity meter never waivered, either.
--
Nick Chapekis
Ypsilanti, MI

Fred Hudspeth via Gmclist

Oct 22, 2019, 7:47:23 PM10/22/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Fred Hudspeth
Ken,

'Never a "bobble" at my site...

Fred

Fred Hudspeth
1978 Royale (TZE 368V101335) - Tyler, TX
1982 Airstream Excella (motorhome) - Cooper Landing, Alaska

Message: 6

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 6:19:14 AM10/23/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Nick Chapekis
Thanks to Everyone for your Mansfield power reports. I guess I'm not
allowed to blame their supply for my failures. :-( I'll keep looking &
report if I find the problem.

Ken H.

Fred Hudspeth via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 2:07:08 PM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Fred Hudspeth
Ken - and others

You probably know this but for those who may not. Most managers of
convention facilities used by GMCMI are very conscientious about fixing
things that don't work properly (they want return engagements!). 'Recommend
we advise Kim Weeks, GMCMI VP/convention manager as our single point of
contact for facility problems (even small ones.). The facility managers
usually respond promptly to her request to fix problems.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 4:00:25 PM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
It is possessed by the ghost of that Generac genset.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 8:30:09 PM10/23/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Fred Hudspeth
Fred,

Good general advice, but apparently not applicable in this case. Even
those plugged into the same power pedestal as we were report no
electrical anomalies at Mansfield. I have to assume the problem is in our
coach & will continue troubleshooting. But it's hard to find a problem
that no longer manifests itself. :-)

Ken H.

Hal StClair via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 8:57:46 PM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Hal StClair
Ken, just because you were on the same pedestal don't assume you both were receiving the same juice. Your receptacle or breaker would be unique to
your coach even if the main or buss are common to the panel. It may indeed be a park issue, or not.
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1975 Eleganza II, 101230,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout,

Rio Rancho, NM

Dolph Santorine via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 9:14:41 PM10/23/19
to GMC List, Dolph Santorine
This opens another question - how many use “Power Defender” pigtails (basically some MOV’s and some circuit to identify flipped hot and grounding problems)?

I did before I installed the Xantrex (which does most of it, and has smaller MOV’s internally installed on the input side).

Oh… MOV’s “Metal Oxide Varistors”, basically the operating part of the surge suppressor you likely have on the AC input to your desktop computer.

Basically, when it’s voltage is exceeded, it “clamps” and forces the circuit breaker ahead of it in the circuit to trip.

Dolph

DE AD0LF

Wheeling, West Virginia

1977 26’ ex-PalmBeach
Howell EFI & EBL, Reaction Arms, Manny Transmission

“The Aluminum and Fiberglass Mistress"

Charles Boyd via Gmclist

Oct 23, 2019, 10:13:15 PM10/23/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Charles Boyd
Ken, when we arrived Cat plugged up our electrics while I did the water. I didn't notice till we got ready to leave that She left the 50-30 amp
adapter and the 30-20 adapter in place from where we were plugged in at home before we left. No issues tho.
--
C. Boyd
76 Crestmont

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 7:30:38 AM10/24/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
Sure, I carry one with me all the time -- helps keep the storage
compartment full. Can't remember the last time I plugged it in. Sure hope
it's helping protect the coach wiring.

Fact is, I've been fantastically lucky for the past 65 years of RVing, from
Key West to Fairbanks -- NEVER had a significant power problem. The worst
I've ever encountered is a lot of over-sensitive GFCI's. NOW everything
will get blown out/burned up!

Ken H.

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 7:39:50 AM10/24/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
Too bad, Chuck. I finally quit using water pressure regulators after it
got too expensive replacing the ones I left behind. :-(

Ken H.

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 7:43:18 AM10/24/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Hal StClair
Hal,

That's true, but the chances of it being a campground problem are certainly
reduced significantly by everyone else's good experiences. Since that
breaker HAS popped on occasion (when activating the 1-1/2 hp compressor
that shares it), I'm assuming it's MY problem.

Ken H.

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 8:47:09 AM10/24/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
Water pressure regulator can replace the original so you need not worry
about leaving it.
We have them in stock, one of our top seller.
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Larry via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 9:18:42 AM10/24/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Larry
Ken Henderson wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 06:38
> Too bad, Chuck. I finally quit using water pressure regulators after it
> got too expensive replacing the ones I left behind. :(
>
> Ken H.
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 10:13 PM Charles Boyd via Gmclist <
> gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> > Ken, when we arrived Cat plugged up our electrics while I did the water.
> > I didn't notice till we got ready to leave that She left the 50-30 amp
> > adapter and the 30-20 adapter in place from where we were plugged in at
> > home before we left. No issues tho.
> > --
> > C. Boyd
> > 76 Crestmont
> > East Tennessee

Using a couple of channel lock pliers, I attached mine semipermanently to the hose. Haven't left one behind since. Actually have picked up several
that others have left behind....maybe yours? :roll:
--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 7:42:48 PM10/24/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Ken, just for the helluvit after your coach has been plugged in at home and the icebox running and whatever else load was on when it got goofy, take
your IR thermometer and lookit the breaker box and all the connections you can get at reasonabvly.

--johnny

--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 8:11:15 PM10/24/19
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Johnny Bridges
Johnny,

I'll try to remember to do that, just for curiosity. But since
everything's working fine here, I don't expect to learn much.

Ken H.

James Hupy via Gmclist

Oct 24, 2019, 8:44:35 PM10/24/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, James Hupy
I had my coach plugged in to a 20 amp receptacle via a 100 foot 12/3 heavy
duty extension cord most of this summer. Only draw was my Progressive
Dynamics PD 60 converter with smart module. And the Dometic 2 way fridge.
When prepping the coach for the 7 feathers rally, when I unplugged it, I
noted that the cord was warm where it plugged into the coach. I had some
difficulty unplugging the cord, and upon closer inspection, observed that
on the male plug on the coach, the prongs were black. So, I moved the coach
into the shop, and applied contact cleaner to the male plug. Let it sit for
a while, and not much change. So, I got out something stronger, battery
cable corrosion fighter. Paste stuff, apply with a brush, let it work for a
bit, then neutralize it with a mild acid solution, kinda smells like lemon
juice. That ate the corrosion. So, i looked at the cord, it was corroded as
well. Cut off the cord, and replaced it with a heavy duty female end. After
a day or two, the male cord is now cool. Aparrently, the corrosion has a
certain amount of resistance. Not a good thing in my book. So, keep a
watchful eye on those connections. Keep em clean, bright, and shiny, as
well as dry.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Oct 25, 2019, 9:23:26 AM10/25/19
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Just replaced both ends of my hundred footer for the same problem. Fortunately the adapter cord cleaned up.

--johnny