[GMCnet] Towing.

Bob Dunahugh

Jan 16, 2013, 9:44:17 PM1/16/13
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

You have to find what works for what you have. Tow dollies and tow bars both have their shining high points. I have both at the present time. And use them both. I really can't say witch one is faster to hookup for me. Vary close in time to put in service. I tend to use the dolly most of the time as I can put anything on it. No height issues, extra lights for safety, simple braking system, less wear on your towed car differential/ trans/ front suspension. The load to rotate the towed car drive train might be a bigger determent to gas mileage then the effect of the extra weight of a dolly. I find the dolly easy to move around with one hand. Sometimes I just leave it attached to the GMC. Many fold up. I hang mine on the wall when not in uses at home. The thing here is that there are a lot of both sold. Neither one can be called bad. You need the one that fits YOU, and your needs. My 2 cents. Bob Dunahugh

Tim Conway

Jan 16, 2013, 10:13:29 PM1/16/13
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:44 PM, Bob Dunahugh wrote:

> Tow dollies and tow bars both have their shining high points.

What's all this I hear about toe doilies? I give them out at Christmas to be used on furniture, not worn on your feet.

What's that? Tow dollies? Oh, that's very different.

Never mind...

Miss Emily Litella

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 8:44:51 AM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Being a cheapskate and a three - pedal aficionado, I go for four down. To me, the dolly is more trouble than it's worth. I fear, however, that in
the reasonable future I may end up without a suitable four down toad. The hotrod Soul is out of reach financially, and all the others have non -
towable transmissions. If I sell the hotrod toad pickup, I'm left with an F-150 which is towable but kinda heavy and will need tow brakes added,
running the cost up. Perhaps another Jetta or Golf is in the future when I finally manage to wear my Soul out. 165K so far, oil is down to a quart
every 2200 miles, and mileage fall to 31 - 33 from 35. I suppose it's getting tired.. another year I'll replace it.

--johnny

--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Carl Stouffer via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 11:54:29 AM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Carl Stouffer
...or you could do what I do with all of my vehicles...Run it into the ground, rebuild it, and keep on using it.

Our '03 Tracker is the ideal towd for the GMC. It is getting a little tired with 154,000 miles on it, but there is nothing (newer) that will work as
well. When it finally gives up the ghost, my plan is to go through it and make it good for another 100,000. That is as long as I can get the parts
to keep it going.
--
Carl Stouffer
'75 ex Palm Beach

Mike Kelley via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 12:36:12 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Mike Kelley
Hi Carl:
Certainly wish we were all as capable as you. I personally am not a mechanic but I enjoy GMC’s (3) and Corvairs (13) - I do know some reasonably priced mechanics!
Mike/The Corvair a holic

Sent from my iPhone

Emery Stora via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 1:22:19 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora, Carl Stouffer
I recently replaced the engine (230,000 miles) on my 1996 4 door hardtop automatic Geo Tracker. My wire accidentally drove it at highway speeds on I-25 when it was in 2nd instead of drive. The engine overheated and blew a rod. While it was in a shop I had them also put in a rebuilt automatic transmission. So I should be ready for another 200,000 miles. I likely won’t live that long.

This was expensive to put into a 24 year old automobile but I already had a Roadmaster tow bar and a 2” receiver hitch on the rear. The cost of another toad would be a lot more and I have been extremely happy with the vehicle. They have been getting heavier over the years so I am pleased with its weight.

See you all down the road!

Emery Stora
77 Kingsley
Frederick, CO

> On May 15, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Mike Kelley via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Carl:
> Certainly wish we were all as capable as you. I personally am not a mechanic but I enjoy GMC’s (3) and Corvairs (13) - I do know some reasonably priced mechanics!
> Mike/The Corvair a holic
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 15, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Carl Stouffer via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> ...or you could do what I do with all of my vehicles...Run it into the ground, rebuild it, and keep on using it.
>>
>> Our '03 Tracker is the ideal towd for the GMC. It is getting a little tired with 154,000 miles on it, but there is nothing (newer) that will work as
>> well. When it finally gives up the ghost, my plan is to go through it and make it good for another 100,000. That is as long as I can get the parts
>> to keep it going.
>> --
>> Carl Stouffer
>> '75 ex Palm Beach
>> Tucson, AZ.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 1:59:38 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
If all it did was toad I'd look into the Tracker. However, whatever's back there is also my daily driver. The time I've spent in a Tracker convinces
me it's not in the future. For my uses, the Soul trumps it. And like the GMC, you're gonna have 10 - 12 in it if it's reliable, either one. Buy it
up front or trade your time as sweat equity.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell

Carl Stouffer via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 2:25:22 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Carl Stouffer
The only complaints I have about the Tracker (it IS my wife's daily driver) is it is somewhat under powered, but only at freeway speeds, and the ride
is kind of harsh. Gas mileage is not great either.

It is a GREAT towed car though with body on frame construction, automatic transmission, real four wheel drive with a two speed transfer case (Trans in
park, transfer case in neutral to tow), has power steering, brakes, locks (keyless entry), windows, air conditioning, and I've added heated seats and
a touch screen stereo.

It is a good little off roader for mild dirt trails, fire roads, etc. too.

What's not to like?
--
Carl Stouffer
'75 ex Palm Beach
Tucson, AZ.
Chuck Aulgur Reaction Arm Disc Brakes, Quadrabags, 3.70 LSD final drive, Lenzi knuckles/hubs, Dodge Truck 16" X 8" front wheels, Rear American Eagles,
Solar battery charging. GMCSJ and GMCMI member

Billy Massey via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 3:10:16 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Billy Massey
I feel mostly the same way about my '01 2 door, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed
manual, hard top Tracker. But don't consider it underpowered at all. It'll
do 85 if asked, as long as it isn't uphill. Comfortable for its 86"
wheelbase. It's been driven to both coasts and drug clear across the
country several times. I'm good with its 28 mpg. It's always gone where
ever I asked it. (haven't tried sand dunes) ;-)

Best dang car I've ever owned! Towd or otherwise.

bdub

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 5:09:57 PM5/15/20
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson
If Y'All gonna keep on braggin' about toads, I'll have to mention our
Honda CRV's:

We bought a new '99 CRV expressly because it could be towed 4-down and SHE
didn't like driving the '92 S-10 I'd towed before (with a driveshaft
disconnect). I don't remember the mileage when I sold it to George
Zhookoff a couple of years ago, but probably about 150,000. It had never
given a moment's trouble, was comfortable and got about 25 mpg -- but a
little noisy inside. Its only real maintenance expense was precautionary
replacement of the timing belt at 100,000 miles.

The only reason I gave up the '99 was because I figured I'd better get one
of the '14 CRV's before they were all too abused by others. Since that
year was the last for 4-down towability, I didn't want to miss out. We
found one with about 30,000 miles, with new tires and apparently perfect
otherwise and paid $18,000 for it. It's being 2WD rather than the AWD of
the '99 doesn't bother me 'cause I don't think the rear wheels were ever
engaged on the '99. This one gets 25 mpg in the city and 30+ mpg on the
road. The 23' with Cad500 barely knows it's following along.

Both of the CRV's at one time or another demonstrated the ability to push
the GMC via the tow bar -- the '99 for 5 miles once. :-( Since the '14
has half again as much power, it would have no trouble duplicating that.

The CRV is certainly no match for a true 4-wheeler for off-road, but I
never go there, so that's not a factor. The passenger-car comfort is.

Ken H.

Ken H.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 16, 2020, 9:23:06 AM5/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
"What's not to like?"

For my purposes, hauling around a set of 4wd components when I seldom leave pavement anymore. When I was working and needed a true4WD, we bought
Jeeps.
A close coupled choppy ride and a topheavy vehicle don't do well in the Ga mountains or the city or freeway traffic.
Mileage appears worse even than the Soul. The Soul is a hundred or so pounds lighter.
Twin phased cams, direct fuel injection, antiskid brakes, wet traction control, 6 speed trans, etc. etc.
My box stock bottom of the line Soul comes fitted with outside thermometer, A/C, electric locks and windows, two trip meters, 6 speaker stereo with
USB inputs, etc. The tracker ain't even close on amenities.

I don't address looks, if you're inside it doesn't matter. Them's the reasons among others that the Sidekick/tracker got no consideration for
purchase. The Soul is high tech where the Tracker is brute force... and when we go for 4wd brute force there's Jeeps and there's everything else.

By the above comparison for my uses, you now see what's not to like.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 16, 2020, 9:29:57 AM5/16/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I looked at the Scion xB, but none of the Toyota dealers were interested in selling them. They asked several hundred dollars over the Kia, for fewer
amenities, less room for passengers, and a smaller engine.

I'll note, my mechanic buddy says those who run the direct injection engines in city service and seldom get them up to highway speed for any length of
time often see carbon buildup on the intake valves as I understand it. He says several manu8facturers beat this problem by injecting a very small
amount of gas into the intake. Maybe some of the engine gurus will 'spalin this.

--johnny