Re: [Gmail-Users] How to view chat history?

Zack (Doc)

Jun 22, 2012, 7:50:53 AM6/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Have you expanded the left column?  As part of the new structure it collapses the column of labels to only ones you regularly use, and I think you do have to be in Standard view to see it.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Kiran Nayak <s.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Me n friend, both of us use gtalk. I have enabled the service to save my chats in gmail.
But how to view it?

I googled for it, it told me to click on "Chat", I also saw the images.
N that option isn't even available now.
So I changed to the standard view (I use basic html, I am more comfortable with that). N it isn't available even there!

How do i view it?
its really important for me.

Marko Vukovic

Jun 23, 2012, 1:58:05 PM6/23/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kiran

On the 'More' dropdown of your chat contact there is a 'Recent conversations' link.
If you are using the standalone Gtalk application, right-click the contact and select 'View past chats'.
You can also use the search bar in Gmail, Eg. 'in:chats from:bob'.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Kiran Nayak <s.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Me n friend, both of us use gtalk. I have enabled the service to save my chats in gmail.
But how to view it?

I googled for it, it told me to click on "Chat", I also saw the images.
N that option isn't even available now.
So I changed to the standard view (I use basic html, I am more comfortable with that). N it isn't available even there!

How do i view it?
its really important for me.

Marko

Kenneth Ayers

Dec 14, 2012, 8:22:14 PM12/14/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Your chat history should be visible in a label called "Chats".

You may first need to make sure that your chat settings are enabling you to save your history.   So click on the gear-shaped icon at upper right, select Settings, then select the Chat tab and make sure that "Save chat history" is enabled.

You might also need to select the Labels tab in settings and make sure that you have the Chats label set to "show".

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Johan Løwig Rambech Dahl <joha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I have looked everywhere, but I cannot find how to choose the "Recent conversations". The dropdown beside the chat contact only gives the opportunity to decide how the contact will show up in the list.

I cannot see if one can find the recent conversation from the persons profile from the contact list either. The settings for chat does only give the opportunity to save conversations as emails or not.

So the only way to get the old conversation when using gmail chat in a browser (Firefox and Chrome at least) is to find the chat from the chat label, it seams.

Or am I missing something? Please help me out on this ;-)=

Best regards, Johan
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gmail-users/-/f6adPL0dgxAJ.

Sam C. H. Sum

Sep 2, 2013, 10:14:49 AM9/2/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I understand this post is a bit old but I'm still having the same problem.

In Settings>Chat, there is simply no options for "Save chat history". It's never been available that I never thought having a history log was an option. The system would randomly send me an email after a chat once in a while. Please see below for the settings panel on my account.

Chat:
Auto-add suggested contacts:
Learn more
Call Phones:
 - Make phone calls directly from Gmail. Learn more
 - To also disable incoming calls, go to your Google Voice settings.
Voice and video chat:

Make voice and video calls to friends and family right from Gmail. It's free and installs in seconds.

Sounds:
 - Play a sound notification when new chat messages arrive. Requires Flash.
Emoticons:
 - When an emoticon is sent :-) it will automatically animate.

Walter Antolini

Sep 2, 2013, 11:59:21 AM9/2/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

you can disable/enable the chat history from "chat box" and have all history in you mail,
use search function on mail and write "Hangout with", for see them.

Marko Vukovic

Sep 2, 2013, 12:19:59 PM9/2/13
to gmail-users
Hi Sam

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Sam C. H. Sum <samc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I understand this post is a bit old but I'm still having the same problem.

In Settings>Chat, there is simply no options for "Save chat history". It's never been available that I never thought having a history log was an option. The system would randomly send me an email after a chat once in a while. Please see below for the settings panel on my account.

I'm not understanding what your problem is. Chats are saved under the 'Chats' label. You can turn it off on an individual basis. See https://support.google.com/chat/answer/161925?hl=en

You will receive a chat via email if you were offline at the time a chat was sent to you.

--
Marko

Sam C. H. Sum

Sep 2, 2013, 12:49:52 PM9/2/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
It's hard for those of you who actually don't have this problem to understand because I assume it's kind of a given. My problem, and I think Agunat is having the same problem, is that there is no chats saved on the 'Chats' label. There're just a bunch of names that are either online or not. A fresh window with no history shows up every time I try to start a chat.

There's an option of "go off the record" on the "more" option in the chat window but it's pointless since there's no records to begin with.

Kenneth Ayers

Sep 2, 2013, 2:23:56 PM9/2/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

Click on the gear-shaped icon and select Settings.

Next select the Labels tab.

Next under System Labels find where it says Chats and click on "show".

You should immediately see in the left sidebar a label named Chats appear.  Click on that.

Kenneth

Janice Roga

Sep 5, 2013, 9:38:35 AM9/5/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Can someone tell me hw to access chat I have just created a group?

Or am I off subject here?

Thanks Jan

Kevin Sagan

Sep 25, 2013, 10:39:47 AM9/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am in the same boat as Sam, I think. Let me try to be as precise as possible about my situation.

1: My chat settings look the same as his. No option regarding history.
2: I have the chat label in the upper-left list. When I click it, it says there is no history.
3: I used to have chat history. I didn't notice at first precisely *when* I lost it, sometime around April, maybe?
4: I have, of course, used chat since then, and I have not gone "off the record" ever, let alone with everyone on my list.

Scott Pulcini

Nov 4, 2013, 11:42:45 AM11/4/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Same problem here.  I have everything enabled but I cannot see any chat history since 2012.  I have done nothing different to my account since then.  Any ideas how to fix this?

Klamm

Jan 8, 2014, 10:19:04 PM1/8/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
May be you are using gmail in html mode? Gmail has a bug now and chats are no longer saved in html or mobile interface. thats why I quit gmail

Marko Vukovic

Jan 9, 2014, 1:12:26 PM1/9/14
to gmail-users

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:19 AM, Klamm <pchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
May be you are using gmail in html mode? Gmail has a bug now and chats are no longer saved in html or mobile interface. thats why I quit gmail

Where is this bug recorded? I don't seem to have this issue.

--
Marko

Klamm

Jan 9, 2014, 1:25:47 PM1/9/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
you chat using gtalk, hangsout or jus t a regular jabber client. If you have html interface in gamil you wont be ablo to see your logs...

Marko Vukovic

Jan 11, 2014, 12:01:54 PM1/11/14
to gmail-users

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Klamm <pchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
you chat using gtalk, hangsout or jus t a regular jabber client. If you have html interface in gamil you wont be ablo to see your logs...

I was using the Touchat app before, now using the Hangouts client on iOS. I see they have removed Touchat so I am unable to test it again but I do seem to recall that my chats were logged.

I see there's no link for Chats on the left in the plain HTML version. I tried to hack this in the URL by adding &s=l&l=Chats to the end ie. https://mail.google.com/?ui=html&s=l&l=Chats and it opens as a label but only older messages in there (from near the end of May 2013).

--
Marko